Mosaic: Illinois Jacquet and Chico Hamilton

Damn it, damn it, damn it...I'm thinking of taking advantage of this promotion by getting a 6-CD set and the Art Ensemble box but I'm leaning much more strongly toward the Mobley and Tristano/Konitz/Marsh than I am toward the Hamilton (I don't have any Hamilton, though I have heard Forestorn, one of his recent records). Am I being a fool to let the Hamilton set go? Is there any chance in hell that BN will reissue some of the sides someday?

Am I being a fool to let the Hamilton set go?

Rule #1: Don't ever let a set go....you'll only regret it later! :D:D

I have the Hamilton set and it's very laid back but I do enjoy it a lot, especially on a Sunday morning when I'm feeling very laid back.

Edited by jacknife

when was the last time there was a countdown thread?

seems like a long time ago....

the good ole days?

:eye:

good idea shrugs...

I've done the leg work (or in this case, finger work) of compiling a list of all of the currently available Mosaic sets --- someone could be responsible for the list and keeping the set counts up-to-date based on information posted by fellow board members.

We could keep the list in a separate, clean thread, and members could post what they thought was the highest set count in a separate thread that the list maintainer would check and use to update the master list.

So for example - thread 1 would have the list:

Artist, Title, Available Sets, **highest know set number provided by board members**

and thread 2, would be for members saying they just bought the Horace Parlan set numbered 2017

when someone else bought the Parlan set, they could QUOTE the previous post of 2017 and say their set was numbered 2024

We would need a couple of things to make this work:

1) someone willing to scan the thread 2 posts and update the master list in thread 1

2) some assistance from the BM to allow HTML formatting so that the list in thread 1 was legible

(I tried to post the list in simple text format with poor results)

I'd be willing to take on #1....

What does everyone think?

Is this worthwhile, or does anyone care that much?

Should we be less ambitious and simply keep track of the sets on the endagered species list?

Nice idea, Matt. (But otherwise: we around here are alerted in time anyway when some Mosaic runs out.)

Big Wheel: the Hamilton is very nice. His first quintet with Buddy Collette and Jim Hall was very very good, and quite a lot of the set is material with that line up, included some (partially unreleased) very good live sessions.

The Katz/Pisano group got a little more mellow, but I like some of their stuff, too. And the originally release Ellington album (as opposed to the recently unearthed "Original Ellington Suite" feat. Eric Dolphy) has both Katz and Collette, and is good, too, in my opinion.

vibes: great for you! That's the sort of set Mosaic does the best. And the music is very good, indeed! Was one of my first purchases of music of that era, and it's a good starting point to get you interested!

ubu

when was the last time there was a countdown thread?

seems like a long time ago....

the good ole days?

:eye:

good idea shrugs...

I've done the leg work (or in this case, finger work) of compiling a list of all of the currently available Mosaic sets --- someone could be responsible for the list and keeping the set counts up-to-date based on information posted by fellow board members.

So for example - thread 1 would have the list:

Artist, Title, Available Sets, **highest know set number provided by board members**

and thread 2, would be for members saying they just bought the Horace Parlan set numbered 2017

when someone else bought the Parlan set, they could QUOTE the previous post of 2017 and say their set was numbered 2024

We would need a couple of things to make this work:

1) someone willing to scan the thread 2 posts and update the master list in thread 1

2) some assistance from the BM to allow HTML formatting so that the list in thread 1 was legible

(I tried to post the list in simple text format with poor results)

I don't know if thread #2 is relevant because Mosaic doesn't send them out in order.

what is the current promotion?

also, does anyone know what the last catalog was?

the last one i received was number 49, and i had to ask for that one.

i've bought every set (more or less) since the don cherry set, and for some reason i have only received 1 of the last 8 catlogs without asking for it.

i've asked over and over why this keeps happening, and all they can do is tell me i am in the computer, and i should be receiving a catlog.

I don't know if thread #2 is relevant because Mosaic doesn't send them out in order.

I knew that was the case for the Mosaic selects, but didn't realize it was that way for the full sets. If that is the case, then there wouldn't be an easy way to keep track of where each set was in terms of numbers.

Nevermind.

what is the current promotion?

also, does anyone know what the last catalog was?

the last one i received was number 49, and i had to ask for that one.

i've bought every set (more or less) since the don cherry set, and for some reason i have only received 1 of the last 8 catlogs without asking for it.

i've asked over and over why this keeps happening, and all they can do is tell me i am in the computer, and i should be receiving a catlog.

You have a jazz lovin' postal worker on your route.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...