Count Basie Recommendations?

Peter Johnson

Okay, here we go.

[deep breath]

I don't have a single count basie record in my collection.

Not one.

[sorry.]

This weekend I was driving around and heard "Jumpin' at the Woodside" in two versions--one recorded in 1960 (loved it), and one recorded by the Armed Forces Radio in 1943 (loved it almost as much). I thought, "man, you have got to get some damn Count Basie in your collection."

So please help me out--where should I start?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Frank, I also don't have a ton of Basie stuff, so I'm looking forward to more recommendations.

In addition to Atomic Basie, you definitely need this one:

d77377tk3vp.jpg

I believe this is still available from Yourmusic.com for $17.97 (3-CD set).

I've got about a billion Basie recordings, but this is where I'd start.

Like Frank, I also don't have a ton of Basie stuff, so I'm looking forward to more recommendations.

d77377tk3vp.jpg

Second to all that. Then maybe get Sony's "America's Number One Band" also at yourmusic.

In fact, yourmusic has quite a good selection of Basie where you can't go wrong!

I'm in total agreement about the great quality of the Decca set - and it IS a must have.

But you should be made aware (if you aren't) that there are TWO distinct periods of Basie. Old Testament and New Testament - the New commencing after a short period in the late 40s when Basie dismantled the big band and led an octet for a year or two, followed by the reforming of the big band. The Old Testament band used a lot of head arrangements, while the New Testament band emphasized arrangements by people like Neal Hefti and Ernire Wilkins, etc.

Generally speaking - Old Testament is on Decca and Columbia, while New Testament is Verve and Roulette.

So...I'm going with the Decca set for the Old Testament and recomending "April In Paris" on Verve for the New Testament.

Edited by Harold_Z

d77377tk3vp.jpg

This set is heavily no-noised, and, while the music is great, the sound is not very good. I'd try the Scottish John R.T. Davies remastered Hep CDs instead: Hep Jazz site.

Edited by J.A.W.

I agree that the Decca set should come first. After that, here are three that I find very enjoyable to listen to:

Basie.jpg

basie200.jpg

652.jpg

Well, I cannot figure out how to get the images to become visible. What I am trying to post are the covers from "April in Paris" and "Count Basie Swings and Joe Williams Sings", from the mid-1950s, and "Count Basie and the Kansas City 7", an Impulse album from the early 1960s.

Edited by Hot Ptah

The Decca 2CD set and 'The Atomic Basie' are excellent starters.

Would also recommend 'Basie at Newport' which was reissued by Verve not very long ago.

The Decca set is a 3CD-box. Like I posted to this thread, it has been no-noised to death; it sounds lifeless and dull. You might want to consider the Hep CDs.

Atomic Basie is highly recommended.

Edited by J.A.W.

Me wrong indeed, the Decca set is a 3CD. :huh:

Agree with the sound but the Decca set seems to be readily available.

I prefer the sound on the Masters of Jazz series but they are not available any more.

Never heard those Basie Heps!

The Basie Hep CDs are readily available from Hep Jazz :) They also have a wonderful series of Teddy Wilson CDs with his 1930s recordings, many of which feature Billie Holiday and Lester Young. They were all remastered by the late John R.T. Davies :tup

The Decca 2CD set and 'The Atomic Basie' are excellent starters.

Would also recommend 'Basie at Newport' which was reissued by Verve not very long ago.

The Decca set is a 3CD-box. Like I posted to this thread, it has been no-noised to death; it sounds lifeless and dull. You might want to consider the Hep CDs.

Atomic Basie is highly recommended.

Unfortunately, most Decca/GRP CDs from the 1990s with 1930s material in the "Decca Jazz" series drowned in no-noise and are unlistenable to my ears.

For someone who has no Basie, a fine companion to the Decca material is the recent Columbia compilation:

g04704evw40.jpg

There are some curious omissions and the programming leaves something to be desired in places. But the music is incredible, as is the sound quality.

Word! :tup

(though for Basie nuts like you and me.... a Complete Basie on Columbia -leaving aside those Andorran products- is due!!!!)

:bwallace:

If you're new to Basie's Deccas, I'd try first any of the single-CD reissues (Best of Early Basie or Swingsation)

By the way, I don't have my Decca set with me, but re: the awful SQ, wasn't it remastered by JRT Davies too? "Swingmatism" was, as far as I can remember.

As for the "New Testament" band, IMHO the "Count Basie Story" (a Roulette 2-CD set) is the one to keep your neighbours awake.

F

PS The AMG review I've linked to Best of Early Basie seems to be the wrong one. Tune titles seem to be correct.

PPS The Columbia 3-CD set has great music presented in a weird way. Some years ago I tried a "Definitive" set of Basie's Columbias and I seem to remember the sound was crap.

By the way, I don't have my Decca set with me, but re: the awful SQ, wasn't it remastered by JRT Davies too?

The noise reduction they applied was one of the main culprits. I don't have the set with me either, so I can't check who remastered it, but I can't imagine it was J.R.T. Davies.

As for the "New Testament" band, IMHO the "Count Basie Story" (a Roulette 2-CD set) is the one to keep your neighbours awake.

I find this one a little on the dull side. Atomic Basie is better IMO.

Don't forget the Mosaic set of Verve sides. Improvement in the sound on this release really gives some of this material a whole new lease of life.

By the way, I don't have my Decca set with me, but re: the awful SQ, wasn't it remastered by JRT Davies too? "Swingmatism" was, as far as I can remember.

The Decca Basie booklet credits the digital transfers to Steven Lasker, Doug Schwartz and John R.T. Davies!

then adds: 'Audio restoration and reprocessing by Erick Labson (utilizing the Sonic Solution ''NoNOISE'' system)'.