Press Contact: JIM EIGO, jazzpromo@earthlink.net

IRIDIUM JAZZ CLUB

1650 BROADWAY (Corner of 51st)

NEW YORK, NY 10023

RESERVATIONS: 212-582-2121, www.iridiumjazzclub.com

Sets at 8 & 10PM

Weds. March 15, 22, 29

THE MUSIC OF WAYNE SHORTER WITH THE WAYNE

SHORTER REPATORY ORCHESTRA “ENDANGERED SPECIES” UNDER THE DIRECTION OF DAVID WEISS

Jeremy Pelt (March 15), Keyon Harrold (March 22 and 29), Taylor Haskins- Trumpets

Myron Walden- Alto Sax, Jimmy Greene (March 15 and 22), Eli Degibri (March 29), Bill McHenry- Tenor Saxes

Baritone Sax- tba, Josh Roseman, Joe Fiedler- Trombones, Xavier Davis- Piano, Dwayne Burno- bass, EJ Strickland- Drums

The Iridium Jazz Club is pleased to present “Endangered Species” The Music Of Wayne Shorter With The Wayne Shorter Repertory Orchestra Under The Direction Of David Weiss for three Wednesday’s in March.

Wayne Shorter is one of the most important composers of the post be-bop era and perhaps the greatest jazz composer alive. His all-encompassing work starts with the hard bop classic compositions he wrote for Art Blakey, on to his groundbreaking Blue Note records which featured many tunes that have become timeless jazz standards, his innovative, conceptual records like “The All Seeing Eye”, his fusion hits with Weather Report, his brilliant almost through composed work such as “Atlantis”, and his later orchestral reworkings of some of his classic tunes. It is very unlikely there has been another composer who has covered more musical territory more brilliantly than Wayne Shorter. The concept of the Endangered Species band is to pay tribute to one of jazz’ greatest composers while he is still alive and approach his work as he would, as an ever changing, always evolving body of work. The group will perform music from all eras of Mr. Shorter’s great career from the Blakey era (“Mr. Jin”), through music from “The All Seeing Eye”, up to his latest compositions from “Alegria” and “High Life”.

Award winning composer (winner of the prestigious Chamber Music America Doris Duke Jazz Ensembles Project: New Works Creation and Presentation grant and the American Composers Forum’s Jerome Composers Commissioning Program.) and arranger (Down Beat Critics Award, Rising Star Arranger) David Weiss has reimagined Mr.Shorter’s work for a 11 piece mini big band that features many of the finest young players and rising stars on the jazz scene today including Jeremy Pelt, Keyon Harrold, Jimmy Greene, Eli Degibri, Myron Walden, Bill McHenry, Josh Roseman, Joe Fiedler, Xavier Davis, Dwayne Burno, EJ Strickland.

#####

Edit per Chuck's suggestion.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Jim Eigo has a promotional company which sends out press releases on a variety of jazz events and record releases. We get many such things at the radio station. I didn't even think of the commercial implications when posting that, it's just information flowing over the desk that I thought people might be interested in (and I have no time to re-write something like that to make it anything other than a press release). But Chuck is right: if Jim wants to reach this audience with his commercial activity he could buy an ad-banner or something. Otherwise I need to be cognizant of net-i-quette for this sort of thing. It isn't a controversy, it is Ann Landers.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I see no problem, unless he sent it to you with a note saying: 'Here, save me some money and post this for free on as many jazz sites as you can' :)

Posting these does everyone a favor: the public, by hipping them to gigs they might have missed, David, by freeing up his time to concentrate on the arranging rather than having to write up his own press releases, and of course the promoter, who we do want to stay in business, after all.

I see no problem posting these. Citing the source is certainly a bonus courtesy, but not citing it is hardly equivalent to spam.

My two cents.

Bertrand.

P.S. If Jim were to charge for these, then he would have to start going all Lois Gilbert-y on us and saying 'you can say no wrong about David Weiss, The Iridium or Jin Eigo because they are our clients'. Then I would have to leave the only jazz forum I enjoy. I savor the right to freely express my opinions here within the bounds of common decency.

Edited by bertrand

Well maybe I'm the one who should buy an ad here then....

Thanks for posting this Lazaro, I'm taking a break from writing the arrangements as we speak. Tunes done so far The All Seeing Eye, Genesis, Pandora Awakened, Diana, Mr. Jin. Up next Prometheus Unbound and Angola and perhaps Elegant People or Lusitanos, then who knows. I'd love to make this a regular Wednesday night engagement, I think it could be a good thing. Of course, all of your support would be greatly appreciated.

Well maybe I'm the one who should buy an ad here then....

Thanks for posting this Lazaro, I'm taking a break from writing the arrangements as we speak. Tunes done so far The All Seeing Eye, Genesis, Pandora Awakened, Diana, Mr. Jin. Up next Prometheus Unbound and Angola and perhaps Elegant People or Lusitanos, then who knows. I'd love to make this a regular Wednesday night engagement, I think it could be a good thing. Of course, all of your support would be greatly appreciated.

it's just killing me that i can't be there!! rest assured, i'd be there every time you played!!

best,

valerie bishop :tup

• 3 weeks later...

Up

Starts tomorrow, personel as follows

Jeremy Pelt (March 15), Keyon Harrold (March 22), Ingrid Jensen (March 29), Taylor Haskins- Trumpets

Myron Walden- Alto Sax

Jimmy Greene (March 22), Craig Handy (March 15 and 29), Bill McHenry- Tenor Saxes

Norbert Stachel- Baritone Sax, Josh Roseman, Joe Fiedler- Trombones,

Xavier Davis- Piano, Dwayne Burno- bass, EJ Strickland- Drums

Material includes The All Seeing Eye, Genesis, Pandora Awakened, Diana, Mr. Jin and Fall

Hope to see you there

I made it, and thought it was quite good. Some technical issues (you were right to keep telling the mixer to turn down the bass & piano), and the late start.

I took several pictures, and will send them to you David. Your choice on whether to post them. But it will have to wait til I get back to Los Angeles next week.

Oh, at Iridium, stay away from the Warm flourless chocolate cake. It was like a hockey puck.

Edited by Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the set list. It's Mr. Jin - I think he was a Japanese promoter who brought the messengers over there.

Sounds like some great music - I hope I can catch this one day by hook or by crook; too bad it's during the week :(

How were the Pogues?

Bertrand.

check out the other NYC thread...

Up for one last shot.....

Adam, thanks for the photos, I'd post them but don't know how to do these things. You're welcome to if you like. Glad you enjoyed it and I'll stay away from the cake.....

The Turning Gate is an original of mine. There is this little 4 note augmented chord note progression from Joy Ryder that I began toying with and came up with a whole new tune.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone...I'm doing this again tomorrow and Friday at Iridium with some interesting guests....

Hope you can make it

Iridium Presents

ENDANGERED SPECIES: THE MUSIC OF WAYNE SHORTER

(with the Wayne Shorter Tribute Big Band Under the Direction of David Weiss)

With Special Guests

Wallace Roney- Trumpet (October 25)

James Spaulding- Alto Sax (October 26)

Grachan Moncur III- Trombone (October 26)

Joe Chambers- Drums (October 26)

and

Featuring

Jeremy Pelt and Kenny Rampton- Trumpet

Miguel Zenon- Alto Sax

Jimmy Greene- Tenor and Soprano Sax

Bill McHenry (October 25) and Mark Turner (October 26)- Tenor Sax

Norbert Stachel- Baritone Sax and Bass Clarinet

Joe Fiedler and Stafford Hunter- Trombone

Orrin Evans (October 25) and George Colligan (October 26)- Piano

Dwayne Burno- Bass

Terreon Gully- Drums

Thursday and Friday October 25 and 26

at

Iridium Jazz Club

1650 Broadway (at 51st Street)

(212)582-2121

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/

Sets at 8 and 10 pm

Since some of you ask, the material we will be doing is

The All Seeing Eye

Genesis (we'll be doing these with Moncur, Spaulding and Chambers)

Fall

Pandora Awakened

Prometheus Unbound

Mr. Jin

Diana

and a tune of mine