Oliver Nelson now available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Verve Jazz Masters CD compilation is anything to go by this should be an interesting set. Any reason why the bigband sides fom Shirley Scott's "For Members only" ( Impulse 1963) have not been included AFAIk they're O.N. charts etc

Edited by Clunky

From http://www.dougpayne.com/on51-66.htm

MONSTER

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Arranged and Conducted by Oliver Nelson

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: January 19 and 20, 1965

Ray Beckenstein (cl,sop,pic,fl); George Dorsey (cl,as,fl); Phil Woods (cl,as); Jerome Richardson (cl,as,ts,fl,oboe); Robert Ashton (cl,ts,fl); Budd Johnson (sop,bar,b-cl); Danny Bank (bar,b-cl,fl-alto-fl); Harvey Estrin (cl,b-cl,alto-fl,sop-fl); Jimmy Smith (org); Kenny Burrell (g); Richard Davis (b); Grady Tate (d); Warren T. Smith Jr. (perc); Oliver Nelson (arr,cond).

a. (65VK218A) Goldfinger (Pt 1) (Barry/Bricusse/Newley) - 2:45

b. (65VK218B) Goldfinger (Pt 2) (Barry/Bricusse/Newley) - 2:45

c. (65VK220) Monlope (aka Moonlore) (Jimmy Smith) - 6:15

d. (65VK221) Gloomy Sunday (Rezso Seress/Sam M. Lewis) - 5:00

e. (65VK222) St. James Infirmary (Joe Primrose) - 6:00

f. (65VK223) The Creeper (Oliver Nelson) - 5:30

g. (65VK224) Theme From "The Man With The Golden Arm" (Elmer Bernstein) - 4:30

h. (65VK225) Theme From "Bewitched" (Greenfield/Keller) - 3:04

i. (65VK226) Theme From "The Munsters" (Jack Marshall) - 3:30

Issues: a-i on Verve V/V6-8618.

Singles: a & b also on Verve VK10346 [45].

Samplers: a & b also on Verve V6-652 titled 24 KARAT HITS, Verve VK136 and Verve (E) VLP9164 titled JIMMY SMITH'S GREATEST HITS. a/b & g also on Universal (Fr) 0171862 [CD] titled LA MÉTAMORPHOSE DES CLOPORTES. b also on Verve (F) 711073 titled THE BEST OF JIMMY SMITH. c & e also on Verve 314 527 950-2 [CD] titled WALK ON THE WILD SIDE: BEST OF THE VERVE YEARS. f, h & i also on Verve (E)VEP5021 titled THE CREEPER. g also on Verve (F) 2304004 titled THE BEST OF JIMMY SMITH, VOL. 2. h also on Metro (F)2356080 titled VERVE JAZZ NO. 9: JIMMY SMITH.

Producer: Creed Taylor

Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

Notes: Johnny Magnus

Eight woodwinds does not a "big band" make, but I'd like to hear the writing anyway!

So is this in Oliver Nelson set??? Sounds like your saying its not... Bummer... I like that James Bond stuff....

From http://www.dougpayne.com/on51-66.htm

MONSTER

Ray Beckenstein (cl,sop,pic,fl); George Dorsey (cl,as,fl); Phil Woods (cl,as); Jerome Richardson (cl,as,ts,fl,oboe); Robert Ashton (cl,ts,fl); Budd Johnson (sop,bar,b-cl); Danny Bank (bar,b-cl,fl-alto-fl); Harvey Estrin (cl,b-cl,alto-fl,sop-fl); Jimmy Smith (org); Kenny Burrell (g); Richard Davis (b); Grady Tate (d); Warren T. Smith Jr. (perc); Oliver Nelson (arr,cond).

a. (65VK218A) Goldfinger (Pt 1) (Barry/Bricusse/Newley) - 2:45

b. (65VK218B) Goldfinger (Pt 2) (Barry/Bricusse/Newley) - 2:45

c. (65VK220) Monlope (aka Moonlore) (Jimmy Smith) - 6:15

d. (65VK221) Gloomy Sunday (Rezso Seress/Sam M. Lewis) - 5:00

e. (65VK222) St. James Infirmary (Joe Primrose) - 6:00

f. (65VK223) The Creeper (Oliver Nelson) - 5:30

g. (65VK224) Theme From "The Man With The Golden Arm" (Elmer Bernstein) - 4:30

h. (65VK225) Theme From "Bewitched" (Greenfield/Keller) - 3:04

i. (65VK226) Theme From "The Munsters" (Jack Marshall) - 3:30

Issues: a-i on Verve V/V6-8618.

Singles: a & b also on Verve VK10346 [45].

Samplers: a & b also on Verve V6-652 titled 24 KARAT HITS, Verve VK136 and Verve (E) VLP9164 titled JIMMY SMITH'S GREATEST HITS. a/b & g also on Universal (Fr) 0171862 [CD] titled LA MÉTAMORPHOSE DES CLOPORTES. b also on Verve (F) 711073 titled THE BEST OF JIMMY SMITH. c & e also on Verve 314 527 950-2 [CD] titled WALK ON THE WILD SIDE: BEST OF THE VERVE YEARS. f, h & i also on Verve (E)VEP5021 titled THE CREEPER. g also on Verve (F) 2304004 titled THE BEST OF JIMMY SMITH, VOL. 2. h also on Metro (F)2356080 titled VERVE JAZZ NO. 9: JIMMY SMITH.

Producer: Creed Taylor

Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

Notes: Johnny Magnus

Eight woodwinds does not a "big band" make, but I'd like to hear the writing anyway!

MONSTER

so as layman ... is it simply because of the lack of trumpet and trombone? those cats are "big" and it sure looks like dinner reservations for them would be considered a "band".

granted most of those tracks can be tracked down via those various comps from Verve but I've always felt that this was the perfect Halloween release before you start playing 'Christmas Cookin''.

that album shot was my father's record :ph34r: it's not in the best of shape but having listened to it recently it is a shame that it sits scattered across various commercial best-ofs. my bet is that iTunes wil have it in one of the "vault" sets.

An excerpt of "Bewitched" from Monster:

http://members.tripod.com/~LizAshmont/monsterlp.wav

That's Oliver all the way - innocuous on the outside, totally wack on the inside.

Also, what Doug Payne has to say about the Mosaic: http://www.dougpayne.com/on_rev.htm

Oliver Nelson: The Argo, Verve And Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions

This amazing and thoroughly essential six-disc set covers what amounts to Oliver Nelson’s most significant work outside of anything from THE BLUES AND THE ABSTRACT TRUTH (of course), AFRO-AMERICAN SKETCHES and, the lamentably forgotten BLACK, BROWN AND BEAUTIFUL (which would have made a tremendously significant inclusion on this set, if it could have been arranged).

What’s on CD for the first time ever: The entire contents of Nelson’s FULL NELSON (Verve – 1963), FANTABULOUS (Argo – 1964), THE KENNEDY SUITE (Impulse – 1967), JAZZHATTAN SUITE (Verve – 1967), the entirety of Nelson’s contributions to Leonard Feather’s ENCYLOPEDIA OF JAZZ IN THE SIXTIES (Verve – 1966) and …PRESENTS THE SOUND OF FEELING… (Verve – 1966), and Jimmy Smith’s HOBO FLATS (Verve – 1963, if you don’t count a questionably legitimate Russian CD release that’s incredibly difficult to obtain).

What else you get: The full contents of Nelson and Jimmy Smith’s PETER AND THE WOLF (Verve – 1966), Nelson and Pee Wee Russell’s THE SPIRIT OF ’67 (Impulse – 1967), the big band contents of Nelson’s SOUND PIECES (Impulse – 1966) and Nelson’s collaborations with Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery, DYNAMIC DUO and FURTHER ADVENTURES (both Verve – 1966), the full contents of Nelson’s contributions to Jimmy Smith’s BASHIN’ (Impulse – 1962), the available big band bits of Jimmy Smith’s WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (Verve -1964), Ray Brown and Milt Jackson’s RAY BROWN & MILT JACKSON (Verve – 1965) and Shirley Scott’s ROLL ‘EM (Impulse – 1966),

What’s not here: Mosaic doesn’t mess around with their titles. That’s why they’re so long. It’s almost a way of saying what they’re not, rather than what they are. So you won’t hear Nelson’s best known album, the “small group” classic, THE BLUES AND THE ABSTRACT TRUTH (Impulse – 1961), featuring his best-known composition “Stolen Moments.” There’s also none of Nelson’s (mostly journeyman) work for the Prestige label (1959-61), the obscure United Artists sessions from 1962 (the odd but entrancing IMPRESSIONS OF PHAEDRA or the incredibly compatible and brilliant A TASTE OF HONEY), MORE BLUES AND THE ABSTRACT TRUTH (Impulse – 1964), Nelson’s beautiful big band work on Billy Taylor’s two 1964 Capitol albums (never on CD), or Nelson’s “live” big band recording LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES (Impulse – 1967). And while others may question my seriousness, it’s a shame that Nelson’s campy tête-à-tête with Steve Allen, SOULFUL BRASS (Impulse – 1968, another cringe-inducing Bob Thiele concept), couldn’t be included here. It really fits.

What’s missing: Producer Michael Cuscuna goes to great lengths to explain how he has limited the scope of this set to big band studio sessions on these three labels. But there are definitely some pieces missing here that accurately fit the set’s stated concept. Those worth including that are not heard here are Nelson’s corny pop trip, OLIVER NELSON PLAYS MICHELLE (Impulse – 1966, really notable only for “Jazz Bug”), the brilliant and underrated collaboration with Hank Jones, HAPPENINGS (Impulse – 1966) and more than a few Nelson-helmed works by Shirley Scott (the big band sides of FOR MEMBERS ONLY (Impulse – 1963) and the wondrous GREAT SCOTT! (Impulse – 1963)) and Jimmy Smith (the criminally neglected MONSTER (Verve – 1965), the big band sides of GOT MY MOJO WORKIN’ (Impulse – 1965), odds and ends from HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN (Verve – 1966), the lush LIVIN’ IT UP (Verve – 1968, probably not here because strings were added, but it’s hardly a ‘with strings’ affair) and two Nelson/Smith collaborations issued on 45 only). Also worth considering are Nelson’s recordings with vocalist Jean DuShon, FEELING GOOD (Cadet – 1965), and trumpeter Don Goldie, TRUMPET EXODUS (Verve – 1962, probably out of the running because it would be impossible to determine which two songs were arranged by Al Cohn). I can go either way on Nelson’s few arrangements for Jack Teagarden, Kai Winding and Cal Tjader on the Verve label during this period, as they kind of skirt one’s definition of “big band”. But the other stuff clearly seems to be missing in my estimation.

www.dougpayne.com

so as layman ... is it simply because of the lack of trumpet and trombone? those cats are "big" and it sure looks like dinner reservations for them would be considered a "band".

Yep. "Traditional big band instrumentation" inevitably refers to sections of saxes, trumpets, trombones, and rhythm.

A few months back I CDRed Monster and Virginia Woolf and they fit onto one CD. That would make a good reissue, though I guess since Virginia Woolf is coming out on the Mosaic, Verve wouldn't do that. Too bad. (Though if I read the bit in Payne's message correctly, only part of V. Woolf is coming out on the Mosaic, so maybe there is still a chance. Or maybe Monster with the Woolf that wasn't on the Mosaic as a bonus.)

I would certainly get behind a campaign to reissue Monster and Black, Brown and Beautiful.

I'm definitely getting this set, but probably not until fairly late in 2006 or maybe early 2007 depending on finances. The thing that may be a bit frustrating about this set is that it really is chopping up albums to just get at the Big Band sessions. That's not the way I would normally want material reissued, though I recognize the Nelson arrangements are the running thread. It still feels incomplete somehow.

This is one of the first jazz albums I ever heard. My dad had it (he had a little jazz show on a local radio station) and I inherited it when he passed. Much sentimental value attached to this one- another one is Wes' Goin' Out Of My Head. In general kind of an odd period for jazz, but I still pull these out and listen from time to time. Go figure. :)

JimmieSmith_Monster_TheIncredibleJimmieA.jpg

Just received the latest Mosaic catalogue, and on the inside cover--lo and behold--a wonderful photo of Oliver Nelson with the following caption: "Nelson conducting the Jazz Interactions Orchestra in Central Park, NYC, on October 7, 1967. Photograph by Guy Kopelowicz/CTS Images." Gee, I wonder who that is? ;)

Way to go, Guy! :tup