Oliver Nelson now available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Producer's note:

Oliver Nelson was a versatile musician who wrote and arranged in a variety of settings for a wide range of projects. The purpose of this collection is to capture all of Oliver Nelson's recordings for Verve, Argo and Impulse which feature standard big band instrumentation. Although The Kennedy Dream is not entirely performed by a big band, we have included it because of its importance as an original Nelson work.

Well, ok, good, but where's Live From Los Angeles? That one totally features "standard big band instrumentation", and according to the Doug Payne site ( http://www.dougpayne.com/on67-75.htm#LIVE%...20LOS%20ANGELES ) there's a buttload of unissued material. I know it's recently been reissued in original form, but if Universal's not releasing the rights to it for this set, just freakin' say so. Maybe The Kennedy Dream is supposed to be compensation?

I'm getting this set anyways, but jeez, sometimes the Mosaician logic is beyond my grasp.

I'm looking forward to some soundclips!!

I've been playing Stanley Turrentine's Joyride over and over. I'm hoping that the Nelson Mosaic will be something like that. Can anyone who knows the music comment?

I had almost written this set off as just another big band blowout. But Joyride made me think. And I love Blues/More Blues and the Abstract Truth. Any similarities between those and the music in this set?

I also pulled out the Gerald Wilson set and am listening to that at the office today. Is this the Wilson more/less like what is in the Nelson set?

I need soundclips!!!!!

Jim, "Big Band STUDIO Sessions."

That probably explains it. MAYBE Verve didn't want to license it and had plans for the single release. MAYBE Mosaic didn't want to increase the size of the set by another disc or so and theoretically (they may theorize this way) limit some sales.

MAYBE Dick shot it down!

Edited by jazzbo

Producer's note:

Oliver Nelson was a versatile musician who wrote and arranged in a variety of settings for a wide range of projects. The purpose of this collection is to capture all of Oliver Nelson's recordings for Verve, Argo and Impulse which feature standard big band instrumentation. Although The Kennedy Dream is not entirely performed by a big band, we have included it because of its importance as an original Nelson work.

Well, ok, good, but where's Live From Los Angeles? That one totally features "standard big band instrumentation", and according to the Doug Payne site ( http://www.dougpayne.com/on67-75.htm#LIVE%...20LOS%20ANGELES ) there's a buttload of unissued material. I know it's recently been reissued in original form, but if Universal's not releasing the rights to it for this set, just freakin' say so. Maybe The Kennedy Dream is supposed to be compensation?

I'm getting this set anyways, but jeez, sometimes the Mosaician logic is beyond my grasp.

They did say studio sessions in the title, and LFLA is a live date. I guess that's their "out". A similar situation is when they left Stepping Stones off the Woody Shaw box.

I'm looking forward to this one. I've always liked Fantabulous.

Edited by Free For All

The liner notes should include a photo of Oliver Nelson with the Jazz Interactions Orchestra I took at Central Park back in 1967 -_-

"Should" as in they probably will? :excited: Or "should" as in "they won't, but goddamit, they should!" :angry: I hope it's the former! :tup

Should as in 'they probably will'. I was told Mosaic was using the photo. I have yet to see the booklet with my own eyes!

The liner notes should include a photo of Oliver Nelson with the Jazz Interactions Orchestra I took at Central Park back in 1967 -_-

"Should" as in they probably will? :excited: Or "should" as in "they won't, but goddamit, they should!" :angry: I hope it's the former! :tup

Should as in 'they probably will'. I was told Mosaic was using the photo. I have yet to see the booklet with my own eyes!

Congratulations! :tup And another reason for us to order the set. :)

If they do use it, I hope you at least get a free copy of the set.

Ah yes, STUDIO. Right there in front of me. My bad.

Although, it does leave a void, since the rest of Nelson's Impulse! work was either small group and/or (more)commercially oriented. And it's definitely one of the most "traditional" big-band albums he ever made. And if the unreleased material still exists, it would be grand to hear, even if some titles are repeated (I doubt that Frank Strozier played "I Remember Bird" the same way every time).

But it does say STUDIO. Right there in front of me. My bad.