Oliver Nelson now available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived this morning. Took a week to arrive after dispatch though.

Worth the wait though. The music is great - and the booklet essay a very informative read.

Same here! I received the shipping notification last Saturday but I haven't received it yet!

Glad to know that you like it. This one has been on my wish list for a very long time even if I have a few sessions on Impulse LPs.

Meanwhile, Amazon UK has now raised the price by about 10 pounds. Gotta strike while the iron is hot!

Blimey ! :blink:

The set is an absolute corker - I'm on the second full set repeat. There are particular highlights:

- 'Peter and the Wolf' with Jimmy Smith is way better than expected. Nelson plays great respect to the Prokoviev original but against the odds pulls off some great funky interludes which lead into Jimmy's solos.

- The section work throughout, particularly the saxes, is spectacular. Danny Bank and Phil Woods in particular, both of whom seem key to the 'Nelson sound'.

- The 'Kennedy Dream', which I've never heard before, is a definite success. An imaginative and moving performance.

- Some very funny stories in the liner notes, particularly the one of Wild Bill Davis's organ pitch going chaotic at sea thanks to generator issues and Nelson having to transpose to keep up, which was the 'driver' for his eventual mastery of transposition.

- Mosaic have done a typically great job with the sound (and improved on the vinyl sounds for some of the sessions, I suspect)

I still remember than night back in 1975 hearing the shock news on the late night jazz radio programme that he had just died - the first major jazz figure that I recall hearing had passed away after I first got into the music. This was at a time when 'Blues and the Abstract Truth' was just being reissued in the UK on vinyl. At the time it was believed to be heart attack due to overweight/overwork but the booklet mentions possible contributory cause of liver damage. Side effects of a malarial infecton could also be to blame. For sure, way too young and a tragic loss. :(

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Maybe I missed this in the discussion, but I just discovered that the Mosaic set has 4 of the 8 tracks of the Ray Brown/Milt Jackson album.  For instance, Dew And Mud is not on there.  This song is certainly is scored for quite a few horns, though maybe it falls short of a big band.  (Or possibly the horns were overdubbed and thus don't count?) I can't really tell, since I don't have the liner to Ray Brown/Milt Jackson.

For Someone I Love is also missing, and that sounds like it has a large trombone section.

Any ideas?

This is a case where I really think they ought to have included the whole album, particularly as it isn't one of those cases where half the tracks are big band and half quartet or quintet.  This is a case where at least two of the missing tracks sound like a big band (to me) and thematically would have fit with the box concept -- and it would not be so annoying to have track down the rest of the album.

From a completist POV it is rather an annoying box; lots of partial albums are included and rare albums that would have been useful to have aren't because of the strict big band remit.

Then to compound the annoyance Verve released separately a number of the albums in their Originals series (Hobo Flats, JFK, Fantabulous) but not the ones that were excluded.

It's still a good set though!