Why do so many people hate Lonehill and other imports?

Jazztropic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I was able to get one of my all-time favorites, Illinois Jacquet's "The Message," which I thought I'd never see. (Although, after I got it, I saw it listed the other day as a Japanese import, which is probably legit.) Conte Candoli's "Coast To Coast' wound up on a couple of the "Cadence" critics top 2005 reissues lists.

But I was able to get one of my all-time favorites, Illinois Jacquet's "The Message," which I thought I'd never see. (Although, after I got it, I saw it listed the other day as a Japanese import, which is probably legit.)

Well, there you go. I'd wager a good sammich that the Lonehill is a stright rip-off of the Japanese issue.

OK, the EU copyright laws are one thing, one thing which many people on this board have understandable objections to, but if Lonehill even flouts the laws of their own country, then there's absolutely no excuse for them in my opinion.

I don't own any of their discs and don't plan to.

I see so many posts about people complaining about import labels.They seem to have such a great selection of very rare recordings.Can someone please explain?

Lonehill is pretty dishonest at times, too. Albert Ayler's Complete Live at Slug's Saloon is a good 16+ minutes from being "complete," while the bootleg of a bootleg Eric Dolphy Quartet Featuring Lalo Schifrin is remarkable for the fact that Schifrin isn't on it.

I see so many posts about people complaining about import labels.They seem to have such a great selection of very rare recordings.Can someone please explain?

I think if we wait for reissues (like loneHill) from great american majors, in fifty years we still wait...

The E.U has laws which are different from the USA, Japan is the only other land to reissue rarities (apart Mosaic) but this is very expensive and money is hard to find ...

Thanks to LoneHill, RLR, disconforme, fr

esh sound records for the music which I could not listen without them !!

at the risk of suffering the wrath of those who are gathered here, I have to admit I don't mind Lonehill and Fresh Sound as long as they do a decent mastering (or copying) job - the truth is that, without bootleggers, we would have about half the picture we now have of jazz history. I do have a problem when specific projects are copied (like a Mosaic box) but when otherwise unavailable recordings are made available than it's all to the good - expcially since I'd be willing to bet that the majors are paying nothing in royalties to artists and their estates anyway - I will not buy anything from Proper because their mastering is despicable, and their are more and more small lables confusing distortion with clean sound -

Edited by AllenLowe

at the risk of suffering the wrath of those who are gathered here, I have to admit I don't mind Lonehill and Fresh Sound as long as they do a decent mastering (or copying) job - the truth is that, without bootleggers, we would have about half the picture we now have of jazz history. I do have a problem when specific projects are copied (like a Mosaic box) but when otherwise unavailable recordings are made available than it's all to the good - especially since I'd be willing to bet that the majors are paying nothing in royalties to artists and their estates anyway

My thoughts exactly.

at the risk of suffering the wrath of those who are gathered here, I have to admit I don't mind Lonehill and Fresh Sound as long as they do a decent mastering (or copying) job - the truth is that, without bootleggers, we would have about half the picture we now have of jazz history. I do have a problem when specific projects are copied (like a Mosaic box) but when otherwise unavailable recordings are made available than it's all to the good - especially since I'd be willing to bet that the majors are paying nothing in royalties to artists and their estates anyway

My thoughts exactly.

Same here. Allen summed it perfectly and expressed it better than I would have...

My thoughts exactly.

Same here. Allen summed it perfectly and expressed it better than I would have...

And again..

just look at the coverage of west coast jazz they have, THe Candoli's, Stu Williamson, Don Fagerquist, Childers, Ferguson..... and that's just some of the trumpet players....

If the " legit" companies served these up at reasonable prices, I'm sure most of us would go there.

My thoughts exactly.

And again..

just look at the coverage of west coast jazz they have, THe Candoli's, Stu Williamson, Don Fagerquist, Childers, Ferguson..... and that's just some of the trumpet players....

If the " legit" companies served these up at reasonable prices, I'm sure most of us would go there.

I'm not actually familiar with Lonehill, but for them and their ilk, financial recompense aside, I do have to laud them for rescuing many relatively unknown artists from obscurity. Some things, after all, are (or should be) more valuable than money. Really now, are there any legit and/or U.S. labels that would ever release a Don Fagerquist album on CD?