Walter Zuber Armstrong / Milo Fine

(BB)

Today I picked up Walter Zuber Armstrong – Live at Walker Art Center. This is mostly a solo album, except for one track where he does a duet with Milo Fine on Drums. I had never heard of either of these guys before today, but I’m really liking what I hear, especially the bass clarinet work.

As a general rule I like the music of smaller groups, when things get to cacophonous I just can’t stay with it. Any suggestions of what I should look for next from either of these fine gentleman.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Today I picked up Walter Zuber Armstrong – Live at Walker Art Center. This is mostly a solo album, except for one track where he does a duet with Milo Fine on Drums. I had never heard of either of these guys before today, but I’m really liking what I hear, especially the bass clarinet work.

As a general rule I like the music of smaller groups, when things get to cacophonous I just can’t stay with it. Any suggestions of what I should look for next from either of these fine gentleman.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I met Armstrong some 15 years ago when he used to busk playing bamboo flute at the public market. He also gave lessons. Somewhere I have a short video clip of him that I filmed. He was quite active in the Pacific Northwest for some time. I believe he died in 1998 in Bellingham.

He did a nice recording with Steve Lacy called Alter Egos that came out on CD. He released several recordings on his own label, but I haven't heard those.

Milo Fine recently did a duet recording with Anthony Braxton on Emanem. Haven't heard it.

Milo Fine recently did a duet recording with Anthony Braxton on Emanem. Haven't heard it.

Considering my previous experiences (and mail) with Mr. Fine, I find this really funny. He savaged a couple of my lps in Cadence for "formalism" and then sent me audition tapes asking me to forget about the "rips" 'cause he really respected me and wanted to be on the label. NOW he's recording with Braxton! :lol:

Edit to ask when the last time you saw/heard the word MOXIE?

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Considering my previous experiences (and mail) with Mr. Fine, I find this really funny. He savaged a couple of my lps in Cadence for "formalism" and then sent me audition tapes asking me to forget about the "rips" 'cause he really respected me and wanted to be on the label. NOW he's recording with Braxton! :lol:

You should ask him for a review copy.