Hank Mobley "Workout"

Soul Stream

Hank Mobley "Workout" was the first jazz album I ever bought. Picked it up when the first CD issue came out in the 80's. The cover looked cool, so I bought it. It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I put that CD on not knowing what to expect and was immediately transformed. Now that the RVG has come out, I revisiting it.

What a wonderful recording. Anybody else care to chime in on this one?

Even though I'm not a big Hank Mobley fan, this one is my favorite recording of his. I enjoy this album very much. To me, Hank always sounds more inspired when he plays with Philly Joe Jones. And Grant Green's playing on here is a real treat.

Marchel Ivery has long played the tune, and played it well. It's a hip little number- the form's a bit unusual, that short bridge that goes to the minor adds color, and the tag make for a good setup for the next chorus. Defintiely not something you can just thoughtlessly blow on/through. Can't stomach The Four Lads (?) version of it, but that's not the song's fault.

I wish it weren't on both Workout and Another Workout. One or the other, people!!

The first Mobley album I ever got was Soul Station. (Not the first jazz album, I wasn't that lucky, but first Mobley.) I think Workout was second. Still one of my favorites by Hank. The combination of Grant Green and Wynton Kelly really works. Great compositions, great playing.... What could be better?

This thread reminds me of the time I stumbled into a dusty, old, run down record store in Miami ( Lee's' One Stop), in 1980 and came up with these Mobley Blue Notes:

Soul Station

Dippin'

Workout

Roll Call

All 43 West 61st Street pressings.

Oh, and a still sealed copy of Tina Brooks - True Blue

Edited by marcello

I like "Three Coins in a Fountain" quite a lot. Wynton Kelly really shines on that one as an accompanyist imho. I love the little pedal point arrangement they get going on the head. Also Marchel Ivery really does a great job on that one, like Jim said, it's available on his Leaning House label CD "3" w/Joey Defrancesco and G.T. Hogan.

Yeah, Hank and Co. knocked it out of the park on this one. Plus, Hank and Wynton although sharing musical aesthetics, have such interesting and individual approaches. I love hearing how those guys (oh yeah, and Paul CHambers gets his licks in there too) play the changes on 3 coins....unrushed, swinging, logical, human, bluesy, melodic. And Philly Joe swings so nice and easy, beautiful.

To each his own, but to imagine 3 coins would "ruin" Workout is difficult for me to do.

Edited by Soul Stream

To each his own, but to imagine 3 coins would "ruin" Workout is difficult for me to do.

I never meant to say that "Three Coins ..." would ruin the album. It just would have been "better". Besides, being the last tune, I can always stop the CD at that point. It's not THAT bad, though.......just not a fav of mine. ;)

i've just got to chime in on this three coins issue. i'm not especially fond of this track. but for me, it's the arrangement, not the song. imo, three coins is a wonderful, heart-felt ballad with a strong melody. just listen to sinatra's 1953 classic recording for capitol. mobley's snappy tempo misses the boat, reducing the emotional impact of the song. i would love to hear some big, smoky tenor do justice to this ballad. maybe i should write houston person and start a save the three coins campaign! :D

I can't imagine the history of jazz tenor without Hank Mobley.

Could NOT agree more with you!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

If only he, John Patton and Grant Green would have recorded together.

Can't remember the last time I drooled on my keyboard! Still, I Want to Hold Your Hand with Larry Young MORE than suffices! :cool: