mgraham333

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've completely given up on Borders as far as CDs or DVDs. It is always cheaper elsewhere. Occasionally, the 30% off coupon can give them a slight edge over some book I see on Amazon. However, I am finding more and more that many books are simply unavailable in their system, particularly academic books. I can think of 5 books in this category, including Bulgakov's Six Plays, which they certainly should carry. It used to be if it was in Books in Print, you could get it there (or special order it). Now you are just out of luck if it isn't on their website. I even emailed the chain and got a response that it was out of their control whether a publisher would send it to them. How weird and how sad. I went in for about 5 minutes to see their Boxing Day sale and it was complete tripe. I still don't think they will exist as a chain five years from now.

They've all closed down all their UK shops in the last few weeks (which had been sold off in a 'management buyout' a few years ago - usually a sign of impending doom). Of all things I've seen in the shops of late, this (together with all Woolworth's stores going bust) has brought home just how bad this recession has been. Stock had already been running low for several years. Towards the end, all the stores I went in had nothing of interest other than some music magazines.

Edited by sidewinder

They've all closed down all their UK shops in the last few weeks (which had been sold off in a 'management buyout' a few years ago - usually a sign of impending doom). Of all things I've seen in the shops of late, this (together with all Woolworth's stores going bust) has brought home just how bad this recession has been. Stock had already been running low for several years. Towards the end, all the stores I went in had nothing of interest other than some music magazines.

That's a shame. I liked the Borders in Cambridge and occasionally did stop in and buy a few things. It was one of the few places in the city centre open past 7 pm.

That's a shame. I liked the Borders in Cambridge and occasionally did stop in and buy a few things. It was one of the few places in the city centre open past 7 pm.

Very true. They had a Starbucks in most of the stores (I used to call in at the Bournmouth branch) and it was one of the few outlets where you could actually pick up 'Jazz Journal' and 'Jazz Review'. Very good arts magazine stock - alas no more.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a search for Mosaic Select and was surprised to see many selections, a couple that are seemingly in stock at Borders but on backorder at Mosaic until this fall, notably Onzy Matthews and Pendulum.

With the coupon BeBop posted, the total before tax but with free shipping is only $35 and change. Not bad.