Allen Lowe's THAT DEVILIN' TUNE

garthsj

UNFAIR! UNFAIR! Just as I was settling down to complete a publishing deadline, this set of 9-CDs arrived in the mail! So far I have worked my way through four discs ... you have to follow the music with the notes, so it could not just be "background" music while I tried to compose thoughts.

Allen is to be heartily congratulated on this realization of this very important project. As a practicing social/cultural historian myself, I appreciate the enormous effort that has gone into the preparation of this material; the music sounds wonderful, considering the sources, and the meticulously researched and extensive notes (contained in a thick booklet) are almost worth the price alone. As I already have Allen's book, this makes the whole enterprise so much richer and complete. The packaging is superb ... if only more sets were this well put together, and it takes up a minimum of space considering the number of discs.

CONGRATULATIONS ALLEN! I cannot wait for the next installlment ... just sign me up for the series. When will it be available?

Garth,

Houston.

I received mine yesterday - thank you Allen!

Haven't listeend to it yet.

But I noticed in the booklet that Music & Arts has listed volumes 2, 3, and 4, with their track lists as "also available." So they must have good hopes of getting those done relatively soon.

I received my copy last Friday and have only had time to listen to the first two discs.

Needless to say, I am really enjoying the musical selections and accompanying commentary. Looking forward to listening to the rest of set one as well as sets two, three, and four as they are released.

• 2 weeks later...