Melba liston

HolyStitt

I love Melba Liston's work with Randy Weston, so I thought a thread should be started on her.

Has anyone on the board heard the Metrojazz Melba Liston LP "And Her Bones"?

I love Melba's work with Randy Weston and was wondering if anyone has heard her arranging for anyone other than Randy Weston.

Around 1961, Eddie Fisher gave Melba an offer she couldn't refuse, so she went off to Grossingers and wrote several well-recompenced arrangements for him. It was a nightmare, she told me when she got back. Fisher told her that he wanted her to make him swing--no way that could be done, she said to me, laughing at the mere thought.

Melba was a fine person and very talented, but I think Eddie Fisher gave her too tough a challenge. I never heard those arrangements, but I bet they were good--even if he wasn't. :g

there's a short but interesting interview with her in the book Central Avenue Sounds in which she describes being raped more than once while on the road with a big band - sadly enough, from what she says, it seemed to have happend while she was travelling with Dizzy's band -

That is really sickening. I guess the guys didn't see it that way, making it much worse. The only good in this is that, in retrospect, she was a trailblazer as a woman musician. But even that's an insult. I'm a composer. I heard her work. It's outstanding. Period. I can't remember the classical piece she arranged in particular or for which band that knocked me out, but, geez did she know what she was doing. Really superb control of the orchestra and her ideas, and tailored for the band/artist---no Melba Liston in your face.

I have the date she wrote for Bags around. I think I'll break it out again soon. Thanks for starting this thread.

Yes, that rape story is really saddening. Judging from the photos on the Spotlite LP of Dexter Gordon's Dial sides, which featured her excellent trombone playing, she was a beautiful young woman. Here's a photo (2nd by Francis Wolff):

liston.jpg45.jpg

I always enjoyed her arrangements - those Bags sessions are a good example. But she was congenial to Randy Weston, and they both knew that.

Edited by mikeweil

Melba appeared on stage in LA in 1999 at a performance of the Dizzy Gillespie Reunion Big Band (led by John Faddis). She didn't play but was wheeled on stage in her wheelchair to the trombone section and followed the charts as the band played. It was poignant to see but I feel fortunate that I was able to witness it. She looked to be enjoying herself.

[quote name='AllenLowe' post='477988' date='Feb 26 2006, 04:21 PM'.

I have the date she wrote for Bags around. I think I'll break it out again soon.

Could you tell me which Milt session it is?

"Milt Jackson and Big Brass: For Someone I Love"

Riverside ca. late 50s/early 60s. Probably available from OJC. Helluva a cast, too.

I had the same kind of experience, but it was with a Weston performance. After "Volcano Blues' came out, I flew to the San Francisco Jazz Festival to see a performance that had Randy Weston performing solo, in a trio, and with a big band. It was a great time, with from what I can remember, Hamiet Bluiett & Teddy Edwards in the group. There was a point in the evening when Weston had Melba Liston, who was backstage in her wheelchair, come on stage to receive credit for her arrangements/compositions, she received a standing ovation and seemed so touched by the applause.

• 1 year later...

51ZMERGPN0L._SS500_.jpg

has anybody heard this one?

Yes - it's great. And I gotta say, I do love the cover!

At the end of a Randy Weston concert in Boston about 15 years ago, he introduced her and she was helped on stage. She wasn't in a wheelchair, but the effects of her stroke were very evident. She didn't speak, but the appreciation on her face for the recognition was moving and heartbreaking at the same time.

51ZMERGPN0L._SS500_.jpg

has anybody heard this one?

Yes - it's great. And I gotta say, I do love the cover!

At the end of a Randy Weston concert in Boston about 15 years ago, he introduced her and she was helped on stage. She wasn't in a wheelchair, but the effects of her stroke were very evident. She didn't speak, but the appreciation on her face for the recognition was moving and heartbreaking at the same time.

As a Melba Liston fan (not to mention a 'bone fan) I do believe I'll have to get this one myself.

I believe Melba wrote some arrangements for Quincy Jones (who didn't?) when she was with his orchestra in Europe. She was the first black woman I recall seeing with an afro--she and Odetta were ahead of the trend.

That Jazz Icons DVD has some great footage of Melba soloing on her own arrangement of 'My Reverie'. I think whe wrote that one for Gillespie's orchestra though.

What a 'bone lineup in that band - for the Belgian broadcast Melba, Quentin Jackson. Jimmy Cleveland, Ake Persson and with Julius Watkins on french horn.

Got the Fresh Sound CD this morning, sound is okay, and the music is excellent! Great solos from all involved, the rhythm sections swing the hell out of the arrangements (Ray Bryant, Kenny Burrell, Frankie Dunlop, Charli Persip etc.), Slide Hampton shares the arranger credits. Glad I got it! Highly recommended!

What a 'bone lineup in that band - for the Belgian broadcast Melba, Quentin Jackson. Jimmy Cleveland, Ake Persson and with Julius Watkins on french horn.

One of my happiest jazz memories is having been allowed to attend the rehearsal sessions for the Quincy Jones Orchestra with that bone section (plus others...) days before the band made its first public appearance at the Alhambra musichall in Paris.

Melba was as lovely as you could get!