Connections

Late

No, not speaker wire connections, but connections between songs. Here's what I mean: I've been listening to Clifford Jordan's Bearcat almost every day for the past week. Whenever the track "Dear Old Chicago" plays, there's a short vamp that Cedar Walton plays behind Jordan that makes me think of another song. What song? I couldn't place it. For days, I kept humming that little vamp to myself, trying to add more notes, or hear a horn come in — anything to figure out what song the vamp was making me think of. It began to drive me crazy. Before I went to bed, I had that vamp playing in my mind. When I got up, that little vamp was still playing. Still, I couldn't for the life of me tease out which album I'd heard this very same vamp on.

Today, I finally got it! Want to know the answer? OK, I'll tell you, but I thought maybe it would be fun if you guessed first. Here are the clues:

• On the track "Dear Old Chicago," Walton plays this vamp at 1:17, 3:15, and 4:44 respectively. It's not repeated too much, but it's there.

• This same vamp is played by a different piano player (and for much longer duration) 10 seconds into a track on a Freddie Hubbard record ... on Blue Note.

:wacko:

Hopefully, those clues won't make it too difficult to figure out. (You have to own the discs in question, of course.) If no one wants to throw out a guess, I'll just tell you anyway. At least I can now die in peace, having solved the puzzle of the century. :lol:

:o Damn.

A year's supply of free grape ice cream goes to Mr. Michael Fitzgerald. That, and this fine crocheted sweater. Congratulations Mr. Fitzgerald, and thanks to the large number of participants who joined in on the fun. This year's turnout was encouraging, and we plan to do the same thing again next year.

Ahem. And you don't own Bearcat? Were you in my house this afternoon? As I stomped around like a mad scientist who'd just discovered chai tea?

:party:

Nope - I do not now nor have I ever owned that album. Never heard it other than that 1 minute sample, I'm pretty sure. I would like to own it, though. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to trade the CD for a sweater and some ice cream?

Haven't you ever seen those demonstrations of standardized tests where they show you the multiple-choice answers only and you can figure out the right answer without seeing the question?

This would have been a lot harder if it were a free-response test.

Mike