Mingus question.

Hardbopjazz

In 1964 Mingus played a gig in Oslo. The date was 4/12/1964. At the beginning of the show he tells the audience that the police took him and his band in to custody. In fact the show opens minus Jaki Byard who was still being detained by the police. I tried to find out about this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone here know about this?

In 1964 Mingus played a gig in Oslo. The date was 4/12/1964. At the beginning of the show he tells the audience that the police took him and his band in to custody. In fact the show opens minus Jaki Byard who was still being detained by the police. I tried to find out about this, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone here know about this?

why don't you e-mail sue mingus? she might remember.

Did she and Mingus know each other (well or at all) back in 1964? I thought they met a bit later.

Bertrand.

hi, bertrand. i believe sue and charles met around 1965 but she knows enormous amounts about his history. i was actually around when they met. i remember vividly the day he introduced her to me!

best,

valerie

I met Sue Mingus around 1991, interestingly through my non-jazz loving attorney wife who came to briefly know Sue's son, Roberto, at a New York state attorneys office they both worked at. Anyway, not being aware at that time of Sue Mingus' antagonism towards bootlegs, upon being introduced to her one night at Fat Tuesday's where the Mingus Dynasty band was performing, I mentioned that I owned quite a few private Mingus tapes and even a bootleg video of a concert done in Oslo in April 1964. Far from being turned off, she graciously invited me to her apartment one week thereafter where I met the musicologist, Andrew Homzy, and we three had a wonderful Mexican dinner (that she cooked herself) and great conversation. Her antipathy towards bootlegs really extends to those who release material in an unauthorized manner, the proceeds of which go entirely to the bootleggers themeselves with nothing being paid to the Mingus estate. Anyway, it was awesome walking into that apartment on the west side of Manhattan and seeing Mingus' bass standing against the wall. I gave Sue a dubbed copy of the Oslo videotape (which was soon thereafter released commercially) and she gave me the "Epitaph" double CD of the Mingus Big Band led by Gunther Schuller plus Mingus' own copy of the double LP, "Mingus at Monterey". So I have good memories of Sue Mingus.

well, I know a guy who knows a guy who knew a guy whose second cousin was married to a guy who knew two guys who...

well, never mind. I do remember sitting in Bradley's one night watching Jaki Byard play when Mingus walked in the door with - Monk! Strange night; wish I'd had a camera with me -

...plus Mingus' own copy of the double LP, "Mingus at Monterey". So I have good memories of Sue Mingus.

Whoa!

:o

not to be competitive, but i have a signed copy of that vinyl.

You definitely one upped me. Aside from Sue M. giving me Mingus' own copy of the double LP set, there's nothing to identify that it was his personal copy. Not only that, it's so scratched up, it's virtually unplayable. I've had my own reissued pristine LP copy for years so that's what I would put on the turntable whenever I would want to hear it again.

On another note, while I never actually saw Mingus himself in Bradley's, I was once leaving that club by car back in the early '70s when a large black man in the middle of the gutter started yelling at me to put my lights on, something I had somehow neglected to do. Recognizing Mingus as I approached, I rolled down the window and yelled back, "Thank you, Charles". He appeared stunned that I knew who he was as I continued to drive away. :)

well, I know a guy who knows a guy who knew a guy whose second cousin was married to a guy who knew two guys who...

well, never mind. I do remember sitting in Bradley's one night watching Jaki Byard play when Mingus walked in the door with - Monk! Strange night; wish I'd had a camera with me -

Mingus and a woman were dining at the next table in Bradley's one night when I was there. I think Randy Weston was playing. This would be '73/74.