Neil Young

Dmitry

Ragged Glory (i think Big Al overrates this quite a bit-- if he meant COMETS ON FIRE i'd agree-- not SO much Neil didn't do over & over & over & over indeed but not a bad record, just lacking the peak songs of)

Probably. I just remember when this came out, when rock & roll seemed all but dead to me, putting this on in the Walkman while I was doing the lawn; that opening riff to “Country Home” and off it went! Never had so much fun mowing the lawn in my life! Plus, I can’t think of a better Neil record for blazin’ down the highway! I’ll grant ya side two starts to falter, but the sum is greater than the parts, so lop off a few extraneous tracks and I’ve got one helluva 45-minute record. Also dug ARC/WELD which came out later (and is it me, or did it seem for a while there that Neil was starting to become like the Who/Stones/McCartney monolith in that, with each passing studio record there came another live album?)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably. I just remember when this came out, when rock & roll seemed all but dead to me, putting this on in the Walkman while I was doing the lawn; that opening riff to “Country Home” and off it went! Never had so much fun mowing the lawn in my life! Plus, I can’t think of a better Neil record for blazin’ down the highway! I’ll grant ya side two starts to falter, but the sum is greater than the parts, so lop off a few extraneous tracks and I’ve got one helluva 45-minute record. Also dug ARC/WELD which came out later (and is it me, or did it seem for a while there that Neil was starting to become like the Who/Stones/McCartney monolith in that, with each passing studio record there came another live album?)

I'd have to say no-Between Arc/Weld and the next live record, Year of the Horse (from a tour, so the Unplugged disc doesn't count) there were 4 studio records, plus a Geffen compilation and the Unplugged-then the CSNY disc came after Year of the Horse, followed by Silver and Gold, then Road Rock (which sounded nothing like any recent studio record, so it's not like it was live document of the recent tour like the Who/McCartney ones). Neil is anything but predictable!

I'm a Tonight's the Night man myself, with Rust Never Sleeps a close second,

but this thread makes me realize that I need more Neil Young in my life...

(It's kind of embarrassing to realize that I have more Nilsson than Neil in my collection -- that's not to say I don't love me my Nilsson...)

Hey Dmitry,

Most of us have known Neil Young since day one.

He's been around a while, and never compromised.

He is an American icon. From the race problems of the 60's and Vietnam he's been there.

A bit like Dylan and Cash and a very few others in this regard.

An American original that brought rock to new heights.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea...an "American" original....from Canada.

Speaking of which, I would love it if Motown would finally find/release the Mynah Birds record. I would love to know what a recording consisting of Neil Young, Rick James and Bruce Palmer, supervised by Smokey Robinson would have sounded like.

KGB

Edited by KGB

Had a chance to listen to Greendale the other week. It was okay. It kinda reminded me of an album-length variation of “Powderfinger.” Plus, NOT having Pancho on rhythm guitar left a HUGE void.

I don't agree at all. I think the trio sounds great, with all the space filled up by lingering notes and feedback. I wish he would do more of this (of course I think Pancho is great, but a change every once in a while is great too)

• 10 months later...

There is a new Neil Young live recording out called "Live at the Fillmore East" which is taken from Neil's archives of his Crazy Horse performances in the 70's. Has anyone heard it? Looks promising.

I have it, and it's fantastic. Interestingly enough, it's taken from the March 6 & 7, 1970 Fillmore show (I'm not sure which one). The opening act was the Miles Davis Quintet (with Wayne Shorter and Chick Corea). The March 7th Miles show was recorded and documented as "It's About That Time: Live at The Fillmore East." Put on the Miles and follow it up with the Neil! It's almost like being there!

Cool, thanks Alexander! I did notice on the CD cover that Miles Davis was on the roster that night, but didn't put two and two together. Will have to pick this one up soon. In the meantime, I'll continue to spin "On the Beach", which I just picked up last week. One of my new favorite Neil albums.

There is a new Neil Young live recording out called "Live at the Fillmore East" which is taken from Neil's archives of his Crazy Horse performances in the 70's. Has anyone heard it? Looks promising.

I have it, and it's fantastic. Interestingly enough, it's taken from the March 6 & 7, 1970 Fillmore show (I'm not sure which one). The opening act was the Miles Davis Quintet (with Wayne Shorter and Chick Corea). The March 7th Miles show was recorded and documented as "It's About That Time: Live at The Fillmore East." Put on the Miles and follow it up with the Neil! It's almost like being there!

Too bad he didn't release the whole show :(

There another on the way in March. Along with the promise (yeah yeah, we'll see) of the archival box in the fall (or at least part of it.)

Neil Young Billboard link

"On the heels of the first release from his Archives Performance series last fall, Neil Young will unveil another vintage concert on March 13 via Reprise. "Live at Massey Hall" was taped Jan. 19, 1971, at the Toronto venue and finds Young performing solo.

Beyond favorites such as "Don't Let It Bring You Down," "I Am a Child," "Ohio" and "Down by the River," Young debuted material that wound up appearing on his next studio album, "Harvest." Among those songs were "The Needle and the Damage Done," "Old Man" and "Heart of Gold," the only No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hit of his career.

Young claims producer David Briggs urged him to release the Massey Hall concert instead of the studio version of "Harvest," a suggestion he didn't follow. "I was very excited about the takes we got on 'Harvest,' and wanted 'Harvest' out," Young says. "David disagreed. As I listen to this today, I can see why."

In related news, Reprise has confirmed a fall release for "Archives Volume I," a vault-clearing project Young has been promising for decades. The collection will comprise 8 CDs and 2 DVDs full of previously unreleased studio and live recordings as well as concert footage and memorabilia."

I'm not a big Neil Young fan, but I bought this disc after hearing many good things about it. It is excellent, strong playing and a tight band. One of the guys in the band died a few months after the gig and this disc show how much he contributed to the band. Highly recommended :tup

I'm not a big Neil Young fan, but I bought this disc after hearing many good things about it. It is excellent, strong playing and a tight band. One of the guys in the band died a few months after the gig and this disc show how much he contributed to the band. Highly recommended :tup

Actually it wasn't a few months, it was about 2.5 years later when Danny Whitten died from a heroin OD. He was about to rejoin Neil with his new band the Stray Gators (the Harvest band) for a tour. He was so out of it that he wasn't contributing anything so Neil sent him back home with some cash for a plane ticket which he instead used for the heroin that he eventually overdosed on.

it's a great album, but I think it's very disappointing it's not the whole show, only 35 or so minutes...

• 1 year later...

May 11, 2008

Neil Young Gets New Honor - - His Own Spider

By REUTERS

Filed at 2:49 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Iconic singer and songwriter Neil Young has had an honor bestowed upon him that is not received by many musicians -- his own spider.

An East Carolina University biologist, Jason Bond, discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and opted to call the arachnid after his favorite musician, Canadian Neil Young, naming it Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi.

"There are rather strict rules about how you name new species," Bond said in a statement.

"As long as these rules are followed you can give a new species just about any name you please. With regards to Neil Young, I really enjoy his music and have had a great appreciation of him as an activist for peace and justice."

Young, 62, is a veteran rock musician who rose to fame in the 1960s with the band Buffalo Springfield and later became a member of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, whose 1970 release "Deja Vu" has become a classic rock album.

The singer/songwriter, whose solo work ranges from older albums such as "Harvest" to newer CDs like "Living with War," has long been an activist for social and anti-war causes.

Bond discovered the new spider species in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007. He said spiders in the trapdoor genus, who tend to live in burrows and build trap doors to seal off their living quarters, are distinguished from one species to the next on the basis of differences in genitalia.

He confirmed through the spider's DNA that the Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi is an identifiable, separate species of spider within the trapdoor genus.

Young is not the first musician to have a creature named after him. A species of beetle that looks as if it is wearing a tuxedo -- the whirligig beetle, or Orectochilus orbisonorum -- was named earlier this year after the late rock 'n' roll legend Roy Orbison and his widow Barbara.

Reuters/Nielsen

Neil Young is one of my favourite artist of all time and shares the top spot with The Fall for out and out consistently interesting music.

Any takers for the new album? Although I am a little over familiar with Ordinary People from the bootlegs years ago it stands up as a brilliant epic.

I think it's his best since the mid-90s. I'd rank it up there just below his classics, actually. It's a great album. No Hidden Path, the other long song on it, is one of his trademark minor-key guitar epics, something like Change Your Mind

• 1 month later...