Cd labelling for those thin jewel boxes - tray card?

skeith

How have those of you who have gone to the thin or slim jewel cases figured out how to label the spine?

I guess I am talking about the tray card, since the liner notes fit ok in the case, it's just that if you store these babies with the spine facing you - you have no way to tell what cd it is.

Do any of those commercially available labelling kits do that?

I've tried taking wider labels, printing several labels in a small font, and then slicing the labels with a box cutter to a size that fits on them. Or tape four mini cases together and putting one label on the side. Not the most elegant, but it'll do in a pinch.

For the setlist info I just make a 4.75 inch square.

For labelling the spine I use an adjustable flow liquid paper or correciton pen. I prefer Papermate's to Bic's (which I currently have and is called a Wite Out Shake'n Squeeze) but either will work, as long as you can control the flow.

It will take some practice and certain letters and numbers (such as R and 8) can be tricky but it can be done. I'm able to write the artist name, venue (I chose the shorter or easier to write between venue or city) and date without too much brain damage from the fumes. Just don't do too many in a row in a closet. ;)

You'll want a small piece of paper towel to wipe the point of the pen for every 2 or 3 spines you label. A piece of scratch paper is useful too for getting it started. And a small bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid can be handy for removing mistakes (also good for removing sticker gunk) although a pocket knife will work too.

It can be nerve wracking the first few times you try it but don't give up until you've tried labelling 8 to 12 spines or at least a couple of sessions as you'll need to learn how to write a few of the trickier letters and numbers. And lay off the caffeine before doing it too. :) It's not an activity to try if you're feeling tense.

I now have hundreds of those rascals with spines that can be read. Been doing it for a couple of years and so far the "ink" hasn't flaked off either. Given the space it saves it's a talent worth learning.

Edited by Quincy

10pt type will fit the 1/16" spine - a simple font will work best

I use a metal ruler to fold the sheet right across the top of the type before cutting to size with an x-acto.

(aprox. 9/16" x 4-5/8", it fills that whole spine/hinge section)

a little double stick tape holds it into place.

Edited by (BB)

I played around with MediaFace today just to see if I could get printing on the spine of a slimline, and I was able to. One of the nice things about MediaFace is that you don't need to purchase perforated paper to print on. You can make a Test Print which will print only the outline of the insert you are making, then you can put that back into the printer to make your final copy. The outline shows you where to cut.

David,

does the product you linked on amazon come with software to set up the labels or must you buy that separately?

thanks

No you do not -- you are provided with a Word template where you simply type what you want inside the provided lines. It does take some minor adjustments with your printer to make sure it prints right on the perforations, however.

And like Tom said, you don't actually need the perforated inserts -- you can simply print out on plain paper and use scissors if you like. For me, I find that the time savings of not having to cut out each insert are definitely worth the cost.

Is there a link to a template for those Fellowes inserts? I never thought of printing something the size of those, to reach the edge, but I'd rather just try it on plain paper and fold that edge to expose the spine info. Or perhaps if I knew the exact size, I could just configure something in MS Office?

Thanks!

MediaFace is a program for labelling from Neato. Its available at the Neato website. I have had a version for maybe 4-5 years or so. My siblings don't like it but I have been able to get pretty good results. Don't know what it costs currently, I got a disc for free when I 1st got it, I think they were counting on people buying their perforated paper to go with. While I have tried the perforated paper, I couldn't get the printer to align as closely as would like.

Edited by Tom in RI