Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also the song Call it Anything which isn't on any of the boxes. An edited live song from Isle Of Wight 1970? Is that right?

We were going for studio items that aren't in any of the boxes (if you include live items then there's quite a bit omitted from the boxes- the rationale for inclusion seemed inconsistent from box to box)

Call It Anything was really an edited-down version of the whole set at Isle of Wight.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=700829

The Miles Electric DVD that came out a couple of years ago has the whole set, unedited.

Edited by Rosco

Also missing from the various boxes is the 'Michel Legrand in Rio' album...

Miles was on that?!

Sounds very much like Miles!

Several Miles Davis discographies list the album. Others do not.

There were rumors that John Coltrane was one one of the sessions. A tenor solo on 'Besame Mucho' was attributed to Coltrane but Legrand denied it.

Legrand did not deny Miles' participation.

Nor is the initially released master of "Go Ahead John" on any of the box sets. The raw takes are on the Jack Johnson box, but to get the mix/edit that Teo did for Big Fun you have to buy Big Fun. If you buy Big Fun in its bonus track form and do the same for BB (2 2cd sets instead of the 4cd BB box), you get the final mix of "Go Ahead John" and most of the other good stuff from that period but you do miss some stuff. To get evrything you'd end up with a bunch of repeats...

What edits or takes are on the 2-disc version of BB that's not on the 4 CD box? I have both now and am contemplating selling my 2 disc version. Or am I misreading something?

other way round, if you get the BF & BB 2cd sets you miss some of what's on the 4cd BB box, but get the master mix of "Go Ahead John" on BF...clear?

Gotcha!

Also missing from the various boxes is the 'Michel Legrand in Rio' album...

Miles was on that?!

Sounds very much like Miles!

Several Miles Davis discographies list the album. Others do not.

There were rumors that John Coltrane was one one of the sessions. A tenor solo on 'Besame Mucho' was attributed to Coltrane but Legrand denied it.

Legrand did not deny Miles' participation.

I believe Philips aka Universal owns all the Legrand masters. They were issued on Columbia in the US via and exchange deal between Philips and Columbia.

I believe Philips aka Universal owns all the Legrand masters. They were issued on Columbia in the US via and exchange deal between Philips and Columbia.

This explains why 'Legrand Jazz' is now part of the Verve catalogue :blink:

Maybe Mosaic will work on a Select that would include 'Legrand Jazz', 'Michel Legrand in Rio' and 'Michel Legrand Plays Richard Rodgers', all with AllStar lineups!

For the 1963 Antibes concerts, there is a set which was only released on bootlegs (the CD sounds as good as the officially released part) and which is missing in the 63-64 box:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=CoteBlues

And then there is the 1969 antibes concert:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=1969Miles

Edited by Claude

I just listened to it and thought it sounded a little as Harold Land.

Doubt it would be Land. He was not an East Coast regular at the time, the type of players that would be contracted for sessions like this.

Thought the tenor might be Seldon Powell. Will have to relisten to that track!

Thnink they'll do a box set of his last years at Columbia?

Unlikely, based on what has been said so far in print by Bob Belden and others. I'm hoping they will though get round to a 'Live Japan '75' box, with any additional material that can be found.

That would be a great set. The 1973-75 band was far more interesting live than in the studio.

Just got my copy of the Corner box tonight, and put the first disc in moments ago. Had one of those 30% off coupons for Borders, which brought it down to something like $97 and some change. Still a little more than I wanted to spend, but I sure as hell wasn't gonna wait a year to hear this one.

Just started reading the notes -- damn, Belden's intro was penned back in April 2000? -- April 2000??? That's closer to 8 years ago than 7. :wacko:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just got my copy of the Corner box tonight, and put the first disc in moments ago. Had one of those 30% off coupons for Borders, which brought it down to something like $97 and some change. Still a little more than I wanted to spend, but I sure as hell wasn't gonna wait a year to hear this one.

Just started reading the notes -- damn, Belden's intro was penned back in April 2000? -- April 2000??? That's closer to 8 years ago than 7. :wacko:

Belden's notes are excerpted from the previous reissue of On the Corner. The documentation is pretty lousy on this set. Why is there no mention of the Get Up With It tracks?

I'd like to see some video (good video) of the '73 - '75 bands.

By the way, I hear Belden is trying to issue the set made at Duffy's (in Rochester) in '69.

There's some video material floating around, at least from 1973, but I haven't watched it yet, so I have no clue about quality (I think Vienna 1973 is one I have, I caught glimpses of it and it lookd... alright, I guess at least).

Duffy's 1969 is a bad-sounding audience tape that was part of the Lost Quintet tree wiht wrong speed (a corrected version was up on dime some time ago).

As for the presence of John McLaughlin on this box, here's Losin's entry:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=CornerBox

The Complete On the Corner Sessions, 1972-1975 (Columbia CK7 06239)

Title: The Complete On the Corner Sessions, 1972-1975

Label: Columbia CK7 06239 (CD)

Number of Tracks: 31

Details: March 9, 1972; June 1, 1972; June 6, 1972; June 12, 1972; August 23, 1972; September 6, 1972; November 29, 1972; December 8, 1972; January 4, 1973; July 26, 1973; September 17, 1973; September 18, 1973; June 19, 1974; October 7, 1974; November 6, 1974; May 5, 1975

Note: Only tracks on which Davis is present (407:12) are displayed below.

Disc 1

1 On The Corner (M. Davis) [unedited master] Jun 1, 1972 19:25

2 On The Corner (M. Davis) [take 4] Jun 1, 1972 5:15

3 One and One (M. Davis) [unedited master] Jun 6, 1972 17:55

4 Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (M. Davis) [unedited master] Jun 6, 1972 23:37

5 Jabali (M. Davis) Jun 12, 1972 11:04

Disc 2

1 Ife (M. Davis) Jun 12, 1972 21:33

2 Chieftain Aug 23, 1972 14:37

3 Rated X (M. Davis) Sep 6, 1972 6:50

4 Turnaround [take 14] Nov 29, 1972 17:16

5 U-Turnaround [take 15] Nov 29, 1972 8:27

Disc 3

1 Billy Preston (M. Davis) Dec 8, 1972 12:33

2 The Hen [untitled Original A (take 1)] Jan 4, 1973 12:55

3 Big Fun/Holly-wuud [take 2] Jul 26, 1973 6:32

4 Big Fun/Holly-wuud [take 3] Jul 26, 1973 7:07

5 Peace [untitled Original (take 5)] Jul 26, 1973 7:01

6 Mr. Foster Sep 18, 1973 15:14

Disc 4

1 Calypso Frelimo (M. Davis) Sep 17, 1973 32:04

2 He Loved Him Madly (M. Davis) Jun 19, 1974 32:13

Disc 5

1 Maiysha (M. Davis) Oct 7, 1974 14:51

2 Mtume (M. Davis) Oct 7, 1974 15:08

3 Mtume (M. Davis) [take 11] Oct 7, 1974 6:51

4 Hip Skip [untitled Original (take 2)] Nov 6, 1974 18:39

5 What They Do [untitled Original (take 14)] Nov 6, 1974 12:00

6 Minnie [Latin (take 7)] May 5, 1975 4:01

Disc 6

1 Red China Blues (M. Davis) Mar 9, 1972 4:06

2 On the Corner/New York Girl/Thinkin' of One Thing and Doin' Another/Vote for Miles Jun 6, 1972 19:54

3 Black Satin (M. Davis) Jun 1, 1972 5:15

4 One And One (M. Davis) Jun 6, 1972 6:09

5 Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (M. Davis) [master] Jun 6, 1972 23:14

6 Big Fun (M. Davis) Jul 26, 1973 2:32

7 Holly-wuud (M. Davis) Jul 26, 1973 2:54

March 9, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Wally Chambers (hca); Cornel Dupree (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); Bernard Purdie (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Wade Marcus (brass arr); Billy Jackson (rhythm arr)

June 1, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Dave Liebman (ss); Chick Corea (synth); Herbie Hancock (org); Harold I. Williams (el-p); John McLaughlin (g); Collin Walcott (sitar); Paul Buckmaster (cello); Michael Henderson (el-b); Jack DeJohnette (d); Jabali Billy Hart (d, perc, bgo); Charles Don Alias (cga, perc); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

June 6, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Carlos Garnett (as, ts); Bennie Maupin (bcl); Herbie Hancock (el-p, synth); Harold I. Williams (el-p, synth); Lonnie Liston Smith (org); David Creamer (g); Collin Walcott (sitar); Paul Buckmaster (cello); Michael Henderson (el-b); Jack DeJohnette (d, handclaps); Jabali Billy Hart (d, handclaps); Charles Don Alias (perc, handclaps); James Mtume Forman (perc, handclaps); Badal Roy (tabla, handclaps)

June 12, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Carlos Garnett (ss); Bennie Maupin (bcl); Lonnie Liston Smith (org); Harold I. Williams (el-p, synth); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); Jabali Billy Hart (d, perc); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

August 23, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Cedric Lawson (org); Reggie Lucas (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); Badal Roy (tabla); James Mtume Forman (cga)

September 6, 1972

Miles Davis (org); Reggie Lucas (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Cedric Lawson (synth); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

November 29, 1972

Miles Davis (tpt); Carlos Garnett (ss); Cedric Lawson (keyb); Reggie Lucas (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

December 8, 1972

Miles Davis (org); Carlos Garnett (ss); Cedric Lawson (keyb); Reggie Lucas (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

January 4, 1973

Miles Davis (tpt); Dave Liebman (ss); Cedric Lawson (keyb); Reggie Lucas (g); Khalil Balakrishna (sitar); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc); Badal Roy (tabla)

July 26, 1973

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Dave Liebman (ss, fl); Pete Cosey (g); Reggie Lucas (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)

September 17, 1973

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Dave Liebman (ts, fl); John Stubblefield (ss); Pete Cosey (g); Reggie Lucas (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)

September 18, 1973

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Dave Liebman (ts); Pete Cosey (g); Reggie Lucas (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga)

June 19, 1974

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Dave Liebman (fl); Pete Cosey (g); Reggie Lucas (g); Dominique Gaumont (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)

October 7, 1974

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Sonny Fortune (ss, fl); Pete Cosey (g); Reggie Lucas (g); Dominique Gaumont (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)

November 6, 1974

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Sonny Fortune (ss, ts, fl); Pete Cosey (g, d, perc); Reggie Lucas (g); Dominique Gaumont (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)

May 5, 1975

Miles Davis (tpt, org); Sam Morrison (ts); Pete Cosey (g, perc); Reggie Lucas (g); Michael Henderson (el-b); Al Foster (d); James Mtume Forman (cga, perc)