Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

Actually, the period around Decoy is of interest to me.

Always liked that first track off of 'Decoy' - sets the album off to a strong start but unfortunately the rest is somewhat uneven. Still recall hearing that lead-off track at the Royal Festival Hall, London in 1985 when Robert Irving III and Scofield were still in the band.

I'd certainly be in for an 80s set. :rsmile:

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the period around Decoy is of interest to me. To me, that was the last period where Miles was coming from a primarily "creative" place than what soon shifted to a "presentational" one. I enjoy both, but...

Unless you got no use whatsumever for 80s Miles, I think that Decoy might get overlooked & might repay further investigation. There's some interesting concepts opening up there that didn't get followed through on, I think, at least by Miles. Check it out.

What are these concepts, specifically?

Back to the On The Corner set - I think the price is a joke seeing how little of the material is really "new".

I already own most of the set in the form of the individual reissue CDs. It's a shame because I really

like this Miles era, but these discs would be worth $80 at best. Certainly not close to $130.

• 2 weeks later...

Aggie, I'm waiting till January for Your Music to get it. Don't you think they will?

I'm hoping so, GA! And I'm hoping they carry the metal spine edition - no guarantees.

The pre-order prices are still on the high side (to me). I hope is does show up at yourmusic. Can always buy it used or something later, if worse comes to worse.

I just tried the 10% off coupon code for the On The Corner box, and it doesn't work. It says: "No matching required products in shopping cart".

Regarding Borders, since it looks like msrp is $140, using a 30% off coupon there would bring it down to about $98 plus tax. Still maybe too rich for my blood considering how much of this material I likely have already.

I just tried the 10% off coupon code for the On The Corner box, and it doesn't work. It says: "No matching required products in shopping cart".

Regarding Borders, since it looks like msrp is $140, using a 30% off coupon there would bring it down to about $98 plus tax. Still maybe too rich for my blood considering how much of this material I likely have already.

Borders list price is $129.99:

Complete On the Corner Sessions

Bibliographic Data: Compact Disc, Sony Legacy, September 2007

Performer: Miles Davis

List Price: $129.99

In-store prices may vary. See your local store for the most up-to-date pricing.

BINC: 9169217

UPC: 886970623926

Shelf Location: Multimedia Department > Jazz Music > Boxed Jazz

Price change on amazon.co.uk:

Please note that the price of The Complete on the Corner Sessions has decreased from £76.49 to £49.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Basket. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TLMWMO/

Amazon UK to the US would be cheaper than Sony's list price

Price (subtracting the VAT discount) = £42.54

Shipping - £0.99 + £2.09 = £3.08

Total = £45.62

= $91.61 shipped

Jeez, for 6 discs, that still comes to slightly over $15 per disc. Youch!!

I'll probably take my chances with used copies on eBay. $70 or $75 would be a far more reasonable (and fair) price, IMHO.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

That list price from Sony for a 6 CD set is really quite ridiculous - $140 is the full list (I know one would never have to buy it for that) - $23+ per disc.

I wonder, is this the record labels' new pricing strategy for stuff of limited/historical interest?

Gotta figure in the costs of the deluxe packaging as well.