Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

Well you Europeans pay through the nose for your CDs anyway!

USA USA LAND OF LOW PRICES ALWAYS WOO!

I remember paying about $95 for the 65-68 set in the US (at Tower's late lamented Sunset Boulevard store, if memory is right), with discount and about 10 years ago - so taking into account general inflation over that time £49.99 starts to sound pretty good ! :)

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you Europeans pay through the nose for your CDs anyway!

USA USA LAND OF LOW PRICES ALWAYS WOO!

I remember paying about $95 for the 65-68 set in the US (at Tower's late lamented Sunset Boulevard store, if memory is right), with discount and about 10 years ago - so taking into account general inflation over that time £49.99 starts to sound pretty good ! :)

Today's retail is tomorrow's wholesale.

One of the posters at SH (Anselm, who I think used to post here?) said that the release date has been pushed back into October. :(

edit - yes he did post here, as Saint Vitus....until some racial comments drove him away.

Edited by Aggie87

I have not seen a certain list of the material to be included on the box set. From the predicted contents I have read about, it looks like the entire "On The Corner" and "Get Up With It" studio albums are going to be part of it, and the extended performance "Ife", which was Side 2 of the "Big Fun" vinyl album. "Big Fun" has been released on CD as well, with extra cuts, at least some of which have been listed as predicted contents for this set.

It looks to me that about half of the predicted contents have not been officially issued before.

I always thought that the mix of "Get Up With It" was muffled sounding, perhaps on purpose. I would welcome a different mix of those cuts though, and if the box set contains a "clearer" mix, it would be reason to get it right there.

Thanks Claude!

Reading your link makes me a bit ambivilent about picking up the box. I get the impression that it will be like the Jack Johnson box, which I think Teo Macero referred to as "bullshit". The JJ box has been a disappointment to me. Maybe it appeals to the same people who bought the Dean Benedetti Mosaic. I broke disc 2 of the JJ box removing it from my jewel case, and haven't missed it.

When the JJ box came out, it got a million raves over at AAJ. Partly because of that I don't trust many of those posters' judgment now. I trust this group much, much more. I'll wait till some of you early adopters pick it up and see what you have to say.

I have advanced Columbia cdr copies of this set.

I think it's fantastic in sound and performance. I can't wait for the real copy to come out.

I am not in my home but out of town for months, and I can't compare mixes directly to the originals, but I know the originals well and there isn't that much difference.

To my ears and mind the previouisly unreleased material is very gratifying to have.

I heard Vince wants a turd of his to come with any of the sets... :rmad:

Dear Customer,

We wanted to give you an update on the status of your order [XXX].

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Miles Davis (Artist) "The Complete on the Corner Sessions [box

set]" [Audio CD]

Estimated arrival date: 10/10/07 - 12/10/07

We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

The JJ box has been a disappointment to me. Maybe it appeals to the same people who bought the Dean Benedetti Mosaic. .

I'm not sure what you are getting at... What has Bird got to do with this?

Q

nothing too obscure about the comparison... too many takes of the same music, same stuff all over again and then once more...

I don't have the Benedetti set yet (I'll get it eventually, though), and I feel different about the Johnson set - I like much of it a lot, it has a great groove going on! But then I don't matter hearing multiple takes most of the time... I guess it boils down to the fact that many a listener would have been happy with a full 160 minute 2CD from the JJ sessions or something... that applies to the Miles/Gil, too... a 3 or 4 CD set would have been enough, I guess for many... but then when you take the time and dig in in all the different versions (and edits), it can be very fascinating (though it's been years since I did do this, I confess...)

The JJ box has been a disappointment to me. Maybe it appeals to the same people who bought the Dean Benedetti Mosaic. .

Q

nothing too obscure about the comparison... too many takes of the same music, same stuff all over again and then once more...

Sorry - it seemed like chalk and cheese to me ... but reading Howard Mandel's review I see I'm the last of the dinosaurs. :lol:

Q

Q

Q, I agree with what Ubu says, but what I had in mind was that the tracks of both boxes are not complete songs.

Q, I agree with what Ubu says, but what I had in mind was that the tracks of both boxes are not complete songs.

By this point in Miles' music the idea of 'complete songs' was something of an anachronism. I can see why this would put off some listeners, but I find the fragments and (often very different) re-takes fascinating.

By this point in Miles' music the idea of 'complete songs' was something of an anachronism. I can see why this would put off some listeners, but I find the fragments and (often very different) re-takes fascinating.

yes, me too!