new to group

Hi

I have recently aquired a new turntable- nottingham analogue spacedeck- rega RB500 arm and sumiko blue point special evo 3 and i must admit, i could not be more pleased. The above seems to breath new life into my aged LP's and a desire to hunt out re-pressings and good pre owned is firmly on the cards. As far as music is concerned i an a bit of an ecm nut and was pleased to find out the other day that the UK importer of ecm has nearly 200 vinyl LP's in stock. My other label music tends to be 20th century contemporary music which is always difficult to catagorise

One point that members might find interesting, the dealer who supplied my record deck recommended me to try CERABALLS- these are small feet with ceramic balls inside which it is claimed make CD players sound more musical and give CD more of an analogue quality. With them placed onder my CD player- a sugden CD21 the result has indeed made a dramatic difference and at £70UK seems a worthwhile investment as i have a conciderable CD collection which i would not wish to be overshadowed by my new record deck

regards

kenneth cooke

yorkshire UK

Welcome to the vinyl forum Kenneth - lots of good posts and fine people hang out here. To further enhance the LP listening experience I recommend getting hold of an LP cleaning machine (something like the VPI) to further add life to the old records. The results can be astonishing - if you do a search in this forum on 'VPI' you will see whole threads on this subject.

Good listening !

Welcome!!! Very nice vinyl set-up. I use Golden Sound ceramic cones under my Linn LP12.

They seem to work well.

hi thank you for your comments- when i said that i used ceraballs they were placeed under the sugden CD21 cd player not under the turntable

regards kenneth

Welcome to the vinyl forum Kenneth - lots of good posts and fine people hang out here. To further enhance the LP listening experience I recommend getting hold of an LP cleaning machine (something like the VPI) to further add life to the old records. The results can be astonishing - if you do a search in this forum on 'VPI' you will see whole threads on this subject.

Good listening !

hi good point thank you i was supprised to find that my record collection, some dating back 30 years are beautifully clean and the second hand ones which i have just purchased are fine- the dealer who supplied my deck offers a cleaning service should i need it and i will read the threads you suggested but i am not planning to make any more purchases right now

regards

kenneth

=kenneth

hi good point thank you i was supprised to find that my record collection, some dating back 30 years are beautifully clean and the second hand ones which i have just purchased are fine- the dealer who supplied my deck offers a cleaning service should i need it and i will read the threads you suggested but i am not planning to make any more purchases right now

regards

kenneth

First of all. Welcome to the asylum, Kenneth. I smiled when you said that you weren't planning on making any purchases right now. Good luck with that.

I don't know about the rest of my fellow vinyl addicts here, but I can smell vinyl and am helpless to it's siren call.

I went back to vinyl about seven years ago, though of course I still have my audio-tapes and CDs.

There is something about the whole vinyl experience that cannot be duplicated, IMO, by either the CD or a tape.

The moment I hold an LP in my hands, the romance begins. I look at the cover, turn it over, read the liner notes and when I take it home I slide the record out for the first time with what can only be described as ceremony. I then place it on the turntable with reverence and wait for the first strains and close my eyes to luxuriate in the experience of the first strains of magic.

The saving grace is that this addiction, and it will become an addiction, is completely socially acceptable. There are those who will puzzle at your romance with vinyl, but to heck with them. I, as do many vinyl fiends, also have a loaded I-Pod. Music is what the thing is.:)

I know that there are many who talk about the technical aspects of their record-playing equipment, but I pay little attention to that, since I am a tech-moron. My joy comes from the music.

One thing. Jazz record collectors for the most part treated their records like the treasures they are. I almost never am disappointed in the condition of even my oldest discs, some of which are from the thirties. I think that you will find more than enough vintage to grow your collection, although there are companies who are re-issuing again on vinyl. I suggest that you check out the gently used first.

BTW, I was gifted with an Orbitrac 2 at Christmas, which seems to clean old discs very well, now that I figured out the rather vague directions which were included.

So, a warm welcome to you, Kenneth. We're all crazy, but it's a harmless crazy. :w

Edited by patricia

=kenneth

regards

kenneth

First of all. Welcome to the asylum, Kenneth. I smiled when you said that you weren't planning on making any purchases right now. Good luck with that.

I don't know about the rest of my fellow vinyl addicts here, but I can smell vinyl and am helpless to it's siren call.

I went back to vinyl about seven years ago, though of course I still have my audio-tapes and CDs.

There is something about the whole vinyl experience that cannot be duplicated, IMO, by either the CD or a tape.

The moment I hold an LP in my hands, the romance begins. I look at the cover, turn it over, read the liner notes and when I take it home I slide the record out for the first time with what can only be described as ceremony. I then place it on the turntable with reverence and wait for the first strains and close my eyes to luxuriate in the experience of the first strains of magic.

The saving grace is that this addiction, and it will become an addiction, is completely socially acceptable. There are those who will puzzle at your romance with vinyl, but to heck with them. I, as do many vinyl fiends, also have a loaded I-Pod. Music is what the thing is.:)

I know that there are many who talk about the technical aspects of their record-playing equipment, but I pay little attention to that, since I am a tech-moron. My joy comes from the music.

One thing. Jazz record collectors for the most part treated their records like the treasures they are. I almost never am disappointed in the condition of even my oldest discs, some of which are from the thirties. I think that you will find more than enough vintage to grow your collection, although there are companies who are re-issuing again on vinyl. I suggest that you check out the gently used first.

BTW, I was gifted with an Orbitrac 2 at Christmas, which seems to clean old discs very well, now that I figured out the rather vague directions which were included.

So, a warm welcome to you, Kenneth. We're all crazy, but it's a harmless crazy. :w

Thank you for your warm welcome- albeit I feel a bit of a fraud as I would not call myself a jazz fan- it just so happens that many of the ECM label records that I purchase seem to fall under that heading. I know it is difficult to catagorise music and I am not sure I should but here goes- I guess I have a love of 20th Century contemporary music and my hands down favourite composer is JS Bach

Hey, that's cool.

My childhood was a little schzophrenic in that my mother adored classical music and my father was a huge jazz listener and record-collector.

Of course, I rejected both as a teen in favour of rock, then folk, then reggae and flamenco guitar, moving back to jazz only within the last ten years or so.

All good music is based on what pleases the ears of those who listen to it. My mother used to say that the classics we listen to today, which were written a hundred years or more ago were the compositions which survived. She always reminded me that there were many times as many compostions which were of the moment then, as now. They just fell into obscurity. The true test of a composition is whether it survives. Jazz and classical and ethnic music, as well as some classic rock has survived so far. We won't be here to know how many are still being listened to in a hundred years.

I like to think of jazz on vinyl as being history, in a pleasant form.

Edited by patricia

Welcome to the O

I got back into vinyl 2 years ago but also listen a lot to CD. My humble Rega P3 has shown my CD player the door in terms of play back quality. The depressing bit is that to up my CD player I need to spend at least £1500 and still the turntable ( £380) can (with a nice LP) sound better. Unfortunately vinyl is pretty much dead as regaards new releases. Sure there are some ne w vinly sides but we all need CD players IMO.

='Clunky' date='Mar 6 2006, 06:02 AM' post='481094']

Welcome to the O

I got back into vinyl 2 years ago but also listen a lot to CD. My humble Rega P3 has shown my CD player the door in terms of play back quality. The depressing bit is that to up my CD player I need to spend at least £1500 and still the turntable ( £380) can (with a nice LP) sound better. Unfortunately vinyl is pretty much dead as regaards new releases. Sure there are some ne w vinly sides but we all need CD players IMO.

No question, Clunky, that we need both a turntable AND a CD player. Add to that an I-Pod.

But, I must take issue with you regarding the death of vinyl. As Mark Twain said in a different context, news of vinyl's death has been widely exagerrated. Vinyl is still out there, waiting be be taken home and played. It may not be newly minted, but something new is not the point. Nothing is new, after the first glow. As soon as you crack the seal and play it, it's used.

Vinyl is the only form on which you can hear the original work of the artist in many cases. Although there have been many, many re-releases on CD of collections which were originally on vinyl, they are not the same and much of particularly jazz artists' work still exists only on vinyl. Luckily, people who collected jazz over the years usually took very good care of their records. It's not unusual to find a disc that was cut in the thirties, still is almost new condition.

There is something alive and vital about jazz on vinyl. Much of it was recorded in one take, not manipulated, with everybody in the room at the same time, without the separate track recording technology which is standard now. It sounds the way it did when the artists, all in the same room, played it and recorded it, live. I like the idea that I AM THERE.

Edited by patricia

:D The thing i like about jazz is that you can always find something fresh, depending on your mood., within the music. I may listen to Scheherazde, then Art Blakey, Buddy Rich, and back again toVaughan Williams, its all about quality and depth of feeling. There seems to be a Rega Planar fan club within the ranks, i love mine gives a great jazz sound, if you get my meaning, welcome Patricia, Paul uk.

Welcome to the O

Hi- regarding your concerns- if you check out my original comments I said that by introducing Ceraballs directly beneath my CD player it made a dramatic difference making it far more musical- far less clinical and dare I say much more analogue so do not dispair there is hope. By the way Ceraballs are a product name, I beleive that there are various similar products that will do the same, I only have personal experience of Ceraballs

='baryshnikov' date='Mar 6 2006, 01:15 PM' post='481232']

:D The thing i like about jazz is that you can always find something fresh, depending on your mood., within the music. I may listen to Scheherazde, then Art Blakey, Buddy Rich, and back again toVaughan Williams, its all about quality and depth of feeling. There seems to be a Rega Planar fan club within the ranks, i love mine gives a great jazz sound, if you get my meaning, welcome Patricia, Paul uk.

Thank you.