Earl Hines Solo Recommendations

paul secor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, paul secor said:

And as part of a 2 CD Red Baron/Sony set.

Cool! :tup I didn't know that. ;) 

11 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I have that 2-LP set, chewy. Some good stuff there. :tup   

FYI: These recordings were reissued in 1974; they were originally made in 1955-56.

Edited by HutchFan

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Hines' 1928 solo piano recordings for the QRS company are special.  I know they were reissued on a Milestone LP in the early-70s called A Monday Date: 1928.  (I don't know about digital reissues of this music. Sorry.)

R-4317549-1364340194-7781.jpeg.jpg 

FWIW, the QRS sessions were also reissued on 2 other LPs in slightly more recent times:

8 tracks are on "Earl Hines - His Piano 1928 - His Orchestra 1938" (Swing Classics ET 5) and the remaining 4 tracks (plus 2 takes each of his solo recordings from July 14, 1932) are on "57 Varieties" (CBS 63364 - No. 16 in the French CBS "Aimez-vous le Jazz" LP series):

https://www.discogs.com/de/Earl-Hines-57-Varieties/master/656542

I think the CBS reissue is the earlier of the two (1973, it seems) so the Swing Classics collector's label (ferom Sweden) maybe intentionally chose exactly those tracks not included on the CBS LP (which may have been way more accessible here in Europe than the Milestone LP at that time) to complete the full run of his early solos.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Is there anything wrong (by "consensual wisdom" - by whomever ;)?) with the Okeh tracks?

Did Earl Hines' playing slump that badly within a day or two or what is all the hullaballoo about the QRS tracks - to the exclusion of the Okehs?
Or is it all about "rarity"?

I've just listened in to some from both sessions and cannot find fault either way. Except that fidelity seems to be a bit better on the CBS reissue.

BTW, isn't this maybe one of the cases and reasons where some might be a bit less than impressed by Mosaic's policy? Don't the QRS and Okeh tracks belong together in the discography of Earl Hines and in a thoughtfully done "comprehensive" reissue project? So Okeh was/is part of a major - fine, but would it have been that difficult to obtain some kind of clearance by whomever held the rights to the QRS or Hot Record Society (they seem to have reissued those tracks early on) masters/recordings and to those few tracks - provided they had not entered the public domain yet. Would this have been that difficult to someone "in the know" in the business?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 6 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 5:03 PM, Late said:

This disc looks really interesting. Anyone here happen to have it?

I ended up purchasing this disc (in link above). I'd recommend it. It was issued in 1987 by a UK label called Hermes, which is actually an imprint of the larger UK Nimbus label. Transfers are done by Morris Hunting (I don't know who that is) and are pretty good for 1987 — judicious/minimal use of noise reduction. If you're a fan of this period in jazz (1928-1930), this compilation is worth picking up — very listenable (i.e. no string of alternates to program out) as an "album." The vocals are usually just at the beginning of a song and constitute one or two lines — not the whole song, and not a vocal feature. I don't know if Morris Hunting was a tuba fan, but these transfers really bring out the "brass bass" without boosting it. It's a pleasure to listen to all the tuba lines (by different players, who are uniformly excellent), so if that's a thing you enjoy, that's another recommendation for this disc. The Tiny Parham tracks (even though I bought the disc for Hines) are really good.

Details:

Earl Hines

1. Sweet Ella May (vocal)

2. Everybody Loves My Baby (vocal)

3. Blue Nights

4. A Monday Date (Hines solo)

5. Chicago Rhythm

6. Good Little, Bad Little You (vocal)

7. Beau Koo Jack

Tiny Parham

8. Jungle Crawl

9. Dixieland Doin's