Interesting Mingus Item on Ebay

wigwise

FWIW, I ordered this set as soon as it was mentioned in Down Beat (1965 I think) and received it promptly. My good friend Ron Ikan saw mine and ordered his own copy, including a long enthusiastic letter with his check. When his copy arrived he was bummed 'cause he got pressings only, no cover.

I ordered this directly from Mingus back when it was released, after seeing Mingus at Lennie's. He was handing out a brochure (which I no longer have) advertising the four releases on his label, including this one. For the next few months the records were advertised in Down Beat as well. The label of my copy is identical to the one shown here, but mine came with a cover, single pocket with two records. The original cover is sepia. Later, the record was distributed by Fantasy with the same label, but with a color cover. After a while, the Charles Mingus label was replaced by the Fantasy label.

One never knows about these things, but I'd be surprised if he gets the hundred bucks for a copy without a cover, even if it does come in its original shipping carton.

I ordered this directly from Mingus back when it was released, after seeing Mingus at Lennie's. He was handing out a brochure (which I no longer have) advertising the four releases on his label, including this one. For the next few months the records were advertised in Down Beat as well. The label of my copy is identical to the one shown here, but mine came with a cover, single pocket with two records. The original cover is sepia. Later, the record was distributed by Fantasy with the same label, but with a color cover. After a while, the Charles Mingus label was replaced by the Fantasy label.

One never knows about these things, but I'd be surprised if he gets the hundred bucks for a copy without a cover, even if it does come in its original shipping carton.

My copy arrived in a 2 lp gatefold - not a sepia single pocket. The cover is not the same as the Fantasy issue but the pic is similar.

The 2LP gatefold cover I have looks like this reissue! Mingus at Monterey. The back cover has liner notes by Charles Mingus.

I still have the foldout brochure from the Charles Mingus Record Club that came with it, the one that includes a notice for a $1,000 reward for information about bootlegs of these albums.

Edited by brownie

I have the first single pocket version of the 'Music Written For Monterey, Not Heard..' 2LP on Charles Mingus Enterprises, my copy of 'Mingus at Monterey' is the first Fantasy edition. I've seen single pocket sepia copies of 'Mingus at Monterey' but they have always been totally beat-up and not worth the effort buying.

I have the first single pocket version of the 'Music Written For Monterey, Not Heard..' 2LP on Charles Mingus Enterprises, my copy of 'Mingus at Monterey' is the first Fantasy edition. I've seen single pocket sepia copies of 'Mingus at Monterey' but they have always been totally beat-up and not worth the effort buying.

Well, this is pretty interesting. Apparently there are several variations of these records, which implies that each press run was small. Back When Fred Cohen (with Sue Mingus' approval) reissued "Music Written For Monterey, Not Heard.." in the 1980's, he told me that the original had only sold about 200 copies. I would imagine that "Mingus At Monterey" sold better, as I have seen numerous copies of the color cover with Mingus labels version over the years.

What were the other three?

The full Charles Mingus Records catalogue was:

- Mingus at Monterey (JWS 001/002)

- Charles Mingus Town Hall Concert 1964, vol. 1 (JWS 005)

- Charles Mingus, My Favorite Quintet, vol. 1 Performed at Tyrone Guthrie Theater (JWS 009)

- Charles Mingus: Music Written for Monterey, 1965 Not Heard, Played at UCLA, vol. 1 (JWS 0013/0014)

Then they were none...