Your posters and photos

I don't know where to begin re photos. As for jazz posters, I have some really fine one from Poland. Seriously, Polish artists have been amazing in this field, and that goes back to the days of Communist rule.

These are more recent, however:

1375.jpg1720.jpg

OlbinskiR21-0702.jpeg

OlbinskiR20-0702.jpegKalarusRoman1-0702.jpeg

ellington.jpgnorthjazz.jpg

coltrane.jpg

Edited by Christiern

Those are pretty cool!

I have tons of press photos, mainly of people I want to meet and have autograph for me.

Here is the stuff I have framed in the house:

a Miles Davis Fillmore poster from the early Seventies

a large Mosaic Coltrane Blue Train era poster

a large Mosaic Sonny Rollins Volume two era poster

a Joe Henderson Verve press photo (it was taken around the time I first saw him in concert)

a autographed press photo of Randy Weston

a autographed press photo of James Moody

a autographed press photo of Branford Marsalis

a photograph of Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan

and last, but not least: a John Lee Hooker photo from the early 1990's (it was taken around the time when I saw him in concert).

Not quite the same thing, but I have seven framed digital drawings of jazz musicians by Don Van Selus (a former poster here and on the BN Board) that I feature and cherish.

I have a Duke Ellington poster I have framed in my living room, as well as a poster image of the Miles Davis/Gil Evans box set that I got from Columbia when it was released. That is the centerpiece of the walls in the living room and very expensively framed!

In my office at work I have a great framed enlargement of a magazine article about how Lester Young prepares his pork pie hat that Tom in RI sent me that I can gaze at from my desk, and behind me are two posters: A TOCJ RVG poster with the picture of RVG smoking in front of the lathe (given to me by Greg Maltz), and the David X. Young poster that came with the Jazz Loft two cd set.

I have pen drawings my youngest brother Bill drew of Duke, Mingus, Cannon, Strays, Miles and Dolphy, framed and on disply in my listening room and in my office at work. I also have a Sidney Bechet Savoy 45 EP cover on display on the wall of my office, and in my listening room a wonderful oil painting of Coltrane done by my brother Bill. . . it's a painted version of the Blue Train cover.

I also have a cool little jazz drawing by Vanbeat that I need to get framed.

An embarassment of wealth!

Edited by jazzbo

I have a Duke Ellington poster I have framed in my living room, as well as a poster image of the Miles Davis/Gil Evans box set that I got from Columbia when it was released. That is the centerpiece of the walls in the living room and very expensively framed!

Now that you mention it, I remember sending that card into Sony when the set came out and never heard anything back! I assumed they never actually sent them out.

Is it pretty nice?

While working at the record store in the mid-90's,when WEA had their Atlantic Jazz Gallery series, I received posters for the Mingus, Roland Kirk, John Coltrane, and Ornette Coleman reissues. I still have them in my poster pile in the basement.

I have many a Miles Davis photo, numerous posters of him (the Apple one, a concert one or two), a Freddie/Herbie concert poster from '73 which I won on ebay and still feel like this :party: when I look at it. I also have a signed Ted Curson promo pic., in which he thanks me for having great ears (after telling him that I liked his playing on "Mingus at Antibes"). I have the Donald Byrd poster where he's playing his horn on the subway. So yeah, I've impulse-bought a lot of this shit over the years, and not regretted it. :P

The only framed photo I have is a picture I took outside of Birdland (with one of those kid's cameras - not 35mm) in the summer of 1963. The sandwich board marquee (is that the correct word?) lists the current attraction: John Coltrane Quartet and Terry Gibbs Quartet. That was the gig where Coltrane met his future wife.

The Art Kane Harlem photograph has pride of place in my music room, next to the Lester Young pork pie hat post (thanks Tom in RI). A reproduction of the cover of "Jam Sessions at Christy's" (an album that was never released on Zim records, but the covers were printed). Photos of Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, and Coleman Hawkins with Miles.

The Art Kane Harlem photograph has pride of place in my music room, next to the Lester Young pork pie hat post (thanks Tom in RI). A reproduction of the cover of "Jam Sessions at Christy's" (an album that was never released on Zim records, but the covers were printed). Photos of Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, and Coleman Hawkins with Miles.

The Lester Young pork pie hat has the prime space in my 'music room'! There is another Herman Leonard poster (Charlie Parker at the Royal Roost) in another corner!

Sometime ago, an Italian photographer, by the name of Riccardo Schwamenthal was listing some great original photos on eBay. I don't think he is still active but none the less, I snapped up about 12 of his images before he decided to close shop. I own some great shots of Louie, Sonny Rollins, Jaki Byard, Ella, Count, Bud, Duke...to name a few. The photos are mostly from the 60's and were taken in Italy and France. The photo below was taken by Riccardo and is similar to the one I purchased from him (different angle though). I got this one from the web site of Henry Grimes. Anyone else buy photos from this guy?

Edited by wigwise

Sometime ago, an Italian photographer, by the name of Riccardo Schwamenthal was listing some great original photos on eBay. I don't think he is still active but none the less, I snapped up about 12 of his images before he decided to close shop. I own some great shots of Louie, Sonny Rollins, Jaki Byard, Ella, Count, Bud, Duke...to name a few. The photos are mostly from the 60's and were taken in Italy and France. The photo below was taken by Riccardo and is similar to the one I purchased from him (different angle though). I got this one from the web site of Henry Grimes. Anyone else buy photos from this guy?

Nice photo from the Sonny Rollins/Don Cherry European Tour.

Wigwise,

I have about 30 prints (Elvin, Coltrane, Dolphy, Shorter, Hubbard and many others) made by Riccardo. I don't think I had seen any of them before. I had a few email conversations with him over the course of a year...nice guy.

I also have about a dozen original Herman Leonard prints, another dozen or so by Francis Wolff (one I had signed by Jimmy Smith several years ago), a couple by Gottlieb and something by Claxton. Have a nice poster of with the RVG covers sigend by RVG in silver marker that's hanging in my music room.

I dig the shot above by Roy....very nice. I have his book as well...too cool~

Although I now have a few thousand images that I have made, I have none of them hanging up at home; have several of my prints signed by various artists in my office at work!

One other thing I have in my music room at home is a collection of Monterey Jazz Fest Press pins and ribbons that I got from Nat King Cole's road manager; all framed in two shadow box frames.

Mark

I have about 30 prints (Elvin, Coltrane, Dolphy, Shorter, Hubbard and many others) made by Riccardo. I don't think I had seen any of them before. I had a few email conversations with him over the course of a year...nice guy.

Yes, he is a very nice guy indeed. I also chatted with him a bit over email. I too had never seen any of his photos before, but he tells me that some of his images were used in the Eric Dolphy film "Last Date". He also told me that he is on the planning committee for the Bergamo Jazz Festival.

One other thing I have in my music room at home is a collection of Monterey Jazz Fest Press pins and ribbons that I got from Nat King Cole's road manager; all framed in two shadow box frames.

Nice! What year are those from?

Yes, he is a very nice guy indeed. I also chatted with him a bit over email. I too had never seen any of his photos before, but he tells me that some of his images were used in the Eric Dolphy film "Last Date". He also told me that he is on the planning committee for the Bergamo Jazz Festival.

Nice! What year are those from?

I have a group of button from the early sixties and the ones posted above are from the late sixties and early seventies. I think Nat passed away in 65.

I have a poster of the uncropped version of the photo on the cover of Blue Train. I also have a Francis Wolf print from Mosaic obviously taken just a few seconds before or after the Blue Train photo, a signed print of the famous Herman Leonard picture of Dexter and smoke, and a print I bought from the Getty gallery in London of Miles by an unkown photographer. Looks like it was taken during the Miles Ahead sessions.

I also have some work by that sheldonm guy! Two framed prints of John Scofield, both signed by the photographer and guitarist. Great photographs - in particular the one from last year's Monterey Jazz Fest.

I also just purchased my first Wolff print from Mosaic, which is the well known Trane Blue Sessions image. It's framed with a clipped Coltrane signature.

I also have a couple of rock prints hanging up - two signed King Crimson images from the Power to Believe era, and an original Porcupine Tree/Robert Fripp Fillmore West poster from last year...