Blue Trane Question

Michel_M

Hi,

I bought sometime ago a cd called Blue Trane by you know who. This cd is on label Hallmark (like the cards !), editor number 305032. On this I have 4 songs : a lenghty (20:25) and interesting live version of My Favourite Things, Blue Train, Naima and Impressions. Someone knows where and when this live version of MFT occurs or other information about the cd. The booklet is no help. On the cover : John Coltrane - Blue Trane : Improvisions from a Jazz Genius

Thanks

Michel, what you have seems to be that Stockholm concert John Coltrane Live

Yes !! I listened to the the audio clips and this is it !!

Great to have Coltrane and Dolphy together . Is there any other occasion they play on the same album ?

Thanks for help. I'm asthonished by all the knowledge on this forum :tup:tup

P.S. I don't write that often : english is not my first language but I read al lot and for quite a time now, I was directed on this forum because of all the persons who where on the Blue Note Discussions Board years ago <_<

Not sure about a cd on this one, but you see it around on vinyl.

Sound quality is less than good, fwiw

Recorded at Birdland, NYC 10 February 1962

Jazz Anthology # 30 JA 5184

John Coltrane Eric Dolphy

Two Giants Together

My Favorite Things 18:57

Improvisation 11:09 (Dolphy/Simosko book lists title as Mr. P.C.)

Miles' Mode 10:30

also can be found as

Unique Jazz UJ-26

Affinity Aff-79

Session 114

Simosko discography also lists a session from:

Theatre de Olympia, Paris, 18 November 1961

Magnetic Records

MRCD-114

Impressions 10:55

Blue Train 16:04

MRCD115

Blue Train 12:40

My Favorite Things 25:11

Impressions (incomplete) 4:39

I would be curious if any one has heard these, and/or knows what the releases were titled as?

Great to have Coltrane and Dolphy together . Is there any other occasion they play on the same album ?

If you don't have the Complete Village Vanguard Sessions, you should drop everything and go get it now!

c077454950m.jpg

I've listened to all 4 CDs twice recently, & couldn't agree more. :tup:tup:tup

Hi,

I bought sometime ago a cd called Blue Trane by you know who. This cd is on label Hallmark (like the cards !), editor number 305032. On this I have 4 songs : a lenghty (20:25) and interesting live version of My Favourite Things, Blue Train, Naima and Impressions. Someone knows where and when this live version of MFT occurs or other information about the cd. The booklet is no help. On the cover : John Coltrane - Blue Trane : Improvisions from a Jazz Genius

Thanks

Back around 1971 I purchased via mail four albums (at $5 cash apiece) of "Blue Trane Live at Mount Meru, Stockholm" with blank album covers and blank labels, the discographical information being supplied on a separate 8 X 11 typed sheet that came with each LP. (Coltrane's name was never mentioned, rather he was consistently referred to as "Blue Trane"). What you appear to have are tracks that were included on HPLP-1 and HPLP-5. You should be aware that between the two LPs, there were two takes each of MFT, Naima and Impressions. If you note the recording times for each track, you can verify which takes you have by checking David Wild's Coltrane discography, the link to the November 23, 1961 Stockholm concert being provided:

HERE.

On a sidenote, HPLP-2 and HPLP-3 were of Coltrane (without Dolphy) in Stockholm one year later (Nov 19, 1962). HPLP-4 consisted of a Bob Dylan bootleg concert.

Edited by MartyJazz

Recordig times on my cd are (on booklet) :

My Favourite Things : 20:25

Blue Train : 08:59

Naima : 04:06

Impressions : 07:22

So looks like the first concert except for Blue Train. I suspect an error on Wild's discography :same time (20:48) for Blue Train and MFT, possible but ...