Lafayette Gilchrist

Sundog

Well hey. Just listened to some samples at AMG and went on ahead and ordered both of his Hyena CDs from CDU. Sounds like some hard-edged acoustic funk-jazz that's not trying to be warm and fuzzy. A little bit of hip-hop influence as far as beats and tempos go, and no apparent fear of tension through dissonance and intonation. Sounds like there's plenty of street in the music and the players. I can get with that, especially at $9.75 a CD.

Well hey. Just listened to some samples at AMG and went on ahead and ordered both of his Hyena CDs from CDU. Sounds like some hard-edged acoustic funk-jazz that's not trying to be warm and fuzzy. A little bit of hip-hop influence as far as beats and tempos go, and no apparent fear of tension through dissonance and intonation. Sounds like there's plenty of street in the music and the players. I can get with that, especially at $9.75 a CD.

Sounds like those two Hyena discs are right up my alley as well. Can't really go wrong based on your description and the "nice" CDU price.

Checked out both discs last night. There's some "production choices" that I myself find "questionable", and Gilchrist's(?) insistence on using his hometown band isn't always a wise one, imo. But - this is strong, if at times redundant, music with a definite P.O.V.. What I'd really like to hear would be a trio album, or an album with a somewhat more varied instrumentation between tunes.

I would recommend these albums, but with caveats. I would, however, recommend keeping an ear out for the further development of Lafayette Gilchrist w/o hesitation. The man has something to say.

• 2 years later...
Guest Bill Barton

I haven't heard the previous CD but Soul Progressin' is a helluva fine disc. In a way I can understand Jim's use of the word "redundant" regarding some of the tracks. Yes, there's a certain "sameness" to the moods/material but then again one could say the same about the classic Blue Notes that some of us consider the Holy Grail. At least the sameness is pretty damned greasy. The solo piano "Uncrowned" (on the passing of Andrew Hill) breaks out of the funk/Neuvo New Orleans mood in a big way and is my personal favorite on this recording. "Many Exits No Doors" is another killer track. The disc gets an enthusiastic :tup from me.

I picked up his trio disc Three last year off Emusic, for some reason it didn't grab me. I appreciated what he was trying to to do but I didn't really feel they were able to pull it off. However I will give it another go this week. Sometimes its not the music but where my head is at the time.

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I have had The Music According to Lafayette Gilchrist for a while and the times I listened to it I could not get fully engaged. I think it may be the sameness that Jim and Bill referred to. I have heard alot of Gilchrist with David Murray and although I enjoy that Black Saint band a lot, I can't really say anything specific about Gilchrist's individual contribution caught my attention. But then yesterday I was listening to that private recording from 2003, which actually predates the one recording I have and I started to connect with it. I will pull out the disc I have for a new listen, but I was very curious about his subsequent recordings to see if his approach had crystalized any. It sounds like Bill had a good response to Soul Progressin so maybe I will give it a shot.

Guest Bill Barton

The last couple of days I've been immersing myself in Soul Progressin' (working on a review of the disc and the deadline approacheth). My first and second impressions still hold, Ronald. And the fonky tracks are beginning to sound less "samey" on repeated listening. The guy certainly has a distinctive "voice."

• 7 months later...

Last night I was watching the series finale of the HBO Series The Wire (for the second time). There is a scene where the character Bubbles, who lives in his sister's basement, is going up the stairs and we hear the sister's music playing. When she opened the door it hit me - I am almost certain that it was a piece from one of Lafayette Gilchrist's recordings with his primary band - that mixture of jazz, go go and whatever else he is into. It made the sleep I lost when I obsessively stayed up to 2:00 a.m. even that much more worth it.

By the way, I recently listened to Soul Progressin. On the surface the concept was not much different than what I heard on The Music According To Lafayette Gilchrist, but with increased exposure to Gilchrist's approach I did find myself getting more out of it this time around. Still something I will need to revisit when time permits.

Edited by relyles

• 4 years later...

Based on the number of times I have posted on this thread I suppose I have committed myself to giving Lafayette Gilchrist multiple chances. Recently picked up his 2013 trio disc with bassist Michael Formanek and drummer Eric Kennedy titled “Insideout”. It is the best Gilchrist recording I have heard and possibly one of my favorite releases of 2013. Other than a very favorable review on Point of Departure that inspired my purchase, I have not seen this recording mentioned anywhere. It is on a small independent label with apparently no distribution. I think the label is run by Baltimore's Bernard Lyons. When I emailed the label to inquire where I could purchase the CD, Bernard initially told me that copies are available at a record store in Maryland. When I informed him that I live in CT, he volunteered to mail me the CD. The search was worth the effort. Although Gilchrist’s reference points from earlier recordings are in there, it is much more subtle. Less overtly go go, or funky or driving. Replaced with fantastic interaction among the trio and some nice inside-out playing – hence probably the title. Shame more people probably will not hear this one.

Edited by relyles

saw him with David Murray's group (he replaced John Hicks in the "Black Saint Quartet") back in 2008 - played live here in Brisbane

I was impressed & actually did a bit of net investigating & reading after the concert - put him on my to get list (but still haven't got around to sourcing his CDs - only have him on David Murray discs)

post-11057-0-04897900-1387236489_thumb.j

I didn't realize that he's been so prolific lately, as I only knew about the two-disc set, It Came from Baltimore. In addition to InsideOut, he also released The View from Here in October. Fortunately, all three are available on iTunes, although I'd like to track down the physical discs. Earlier this year, I picked up one of his self-released albums, Collagic Dreams, which is excellent. It's too bad that he doesn't have a Bandcamp page to distribute his albums, especially his earlier, hard-to-find ones.

At any rate, he's a distinctive and compelling pianist and composer, and Baltimore is lucky to have him

I didn't realize that he's been so prolific lately, as I only knew about the two-disc set, It Came from Baltimore. In addition to InsideOut, he also released The View from Here in October. Fortunately, all three are available on iTunes, although I'd like to track down the physical discs. Earlier this year, I picked up one of his self-released albums, Collagic Dreams, which is excellent. It's too bad that he doesn't have a Bandcamp page to distribute his albums, especially his earlier, hard-to-find ones.

At any rate, he's a distinctive and compelling pianist and composer, and Baltimore is lucky to have him

I picked up the solo disc The View From Here at the same time as Insideout. Just got them both the other day, but have not had a chance to listen to the solo disc yet. The trio recording has been on heavy rotation.

• 6 years later...

I have that disc as well as the solo disc issued earlier this year or late last year. I have also seen few livestreams featuring Gilchrist recently, including with the trio on Now. Too bad he does not seem to leave the Baltimore area much as a leader. He is creating some enjoyable music.