Lafayette Gilchrist

Sundog

Saw him at The Stone maybe 8 or 9 years ago on a Sunday night

first set an improvised trio with Michael Formanek & Andrew Cyrille

second set was a Gilchrest composition (a suite) with Darius Jones on alto saxophone & Steve Swell on trombone making it a Quintet.

first set was fine with Cyrille in fine groove based form. 

second set was spectacular with Jones & Swell in incredible voice. What an experience. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:11 AM, kh1958 said:

His new CD, Now, available from Bandcamp in a double CD edition of only 300, has been dominating my listening the last week or so. It is wonderful--a trio that sounds like a working band and compelling original material.

https://lafayettegilchrist-morphius.bandcamp.com/album/now-double-album-2cd-set

Started playing it this morning, totally enjoying it and also totally agreeing that it sounds like a working band with compelling original material.

My service was really exemplary, got here in a matter of days after ordering, so if they're really only pressing 300, now seems like a good time to carpe diem.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Started playing it this morning, totally enjoying it and also totally agreeing that it sounds like a working band with compelling original material.

My service was really exemplary, got here in a matter of days after ordering, so if they're really only pressing 300, now seems like a good time to carpe diem.

Bandcamp works like a charm. The only no-show disc I've ever had, a replacement was provided right away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...