Richie Kamuca

White Lightning

Richie Kamuca was born 73 years ago today. I think that this is a good occasion as any to celebrate the music of this excellent Tenor (and Alto) player.

You don't hear Kamuca's name mationed quite often. He's overshadowed by Zoot and Getz - his style "brothers". I myself really began to really dig him only a few years ago.

His name is popping up in so many of the Albums that I liked: Shally Mann's Blackhawk sessions, Terry Gibbs' Dreamband recordings, Woody Herman's 3rd herd, Frank Rosolino, Chet & Art Pepper, Bill Hollman's really big Band etc.

The man swung so hard with such a beautiful sound!

His Concord LPs are great. His interaction with guitar playes Mundell Lowe and Herb Ellis is magical It's a crime that these sessions are not available on digital form (or are they? Some obscure Japanese pressing maybe?)

Anyone else shares a :wub: for Kamuca's music?

Agree 100%. Unfortunately, another jazz guy who put his cue back in the rack way too soon. If Kamuca hadn't ever done anything other than the Manne Blackhawks, I would still hold him in the highest regard. Those 5 CD's are among my very favorites. Not sure I've ever heard a live date that's captured any better than this one.

Speaking of his Concord recordings, how is it they haven't been released on CD? I was holding out hope, what with Concord celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, that they'd have occasion to look in their vaults and see what's lying around. It's a travesty that these have never been spiffed up and reissued.

Up over and out.

Ah yes, Richie. I'm fortunate to have lots of Richie on vinyl that I guess hasn't been released on CD. Very consistently enjoyable player. Nice stuff with Al and Zoot and Jimmy Rushing. Frank Rosolino too. And in his few leader dates. I'll have to pull out a few LPs next chance I get.

Thanks for the reminder about this underappreciated player.

Let's hear it for Richie. I don't have a lot of his later recordings but I do have a quartet album on the Jazzz label (I think this one went on to Concord) with Mundell Lowe. It's a real cracker and would certainly be among my desert island choices. Some beautifully assured playing and the guitarist is just right.

I keep the Kamuca flame alive too. I have a lot of his records and keep playing them.

What a beautiful sound the man had! He swung!

Took good note of him when he played on Al Cohn's The Brothers RCA album with Cohn

and Bill Perkins.

I also cherish that Jazzz LP with Mundell Lowe. The only thing I don't like about this

album is the cover.

My dad, Arno Marsh (now 75 and still playin' his ass off) sat alongside Richie Kamuca and shared the tenor solos with him in Woody Herman's Third Herd.. They had a great sound and really complimented each other. One of my favorite arrangements is "Senior Blues" and another is a burnin' arrangement of "Perdido".

Love Kamuca too! The only recording of his as leader I have is "Richie Kamuca Quartet" (VSOP 17CD, reissue of Mode MOD-LP 102, rec. 1957). Great record, with a great band featuring unsung Carl Perkins on piano along with Leroy Vinnegar and Stan Levey.

ubu

Some under-the-radar Kamuca worth checking out is on Shelly Manne's album of music from the TV show "Checkmate" (originally on Contemporary, now on OJC). It dates from Oct. 1961, by which time Kamuca had been trying to assimilate as much Rollins and Trane as his third-generation Pres approach could handle, and it seems to me that here he's got it all together. The themes, by John Williams (yes that John Williams), are post "Kind of Blue" modal to some extent, and the player Kamuca had become by then just eats this material up. By contrast, his frontline partner, Conte Candoli, was then trying his damndest to sound like "KOB" Miles, and the mix between this impersonation and Conte's actual, brassy Diz-Sweets soul is a bit uneasy -- he tries so hard to wiggle himself into the "style" that at times he sounds like he's trying on a girdle. Russ Freeman is on piano (he too eats up the material), Chuck Berghofer is on bass. Concord-era Kamuca is a bit different -- wonderfully mellow, completely mature, and the album on alto captures Bird's spirit (the freedom and rhythmic fluidity) about as well as anyone this side of Dave Schildkraut.

• 4 years later...

Some under-the-radar Kamuca worth checking out is on Shelly Manne's album of music from the TV show "Checkmate" (originally on Contemporary, now on OJC). It dates from Oct. 1961, by which time Kamuca had been trying to assimilate as much Rollins and Trane as his third-generation Pres approach could handle, and it seems to me that here he's got it all together. The themes, by John Williams (yes that John Williams), are post "Kind of Blue" modal to some extent, and the player Kamuca had become by then just eats this material up. By contrast, his frontline partner, Conte Candoli, was then trying his damndest to sound like "KOB" Miles, and the mix between this impersonation and Conte's actual, brassy Diz-Sweets soul is a bit uneasy -- he tries so hard to wiggle himself into the "style" that at times he sounds like he's trying on a girdle. Russ Freeman is on piano (he too eats up the material), Chuck Berghofer is on bass. Concord-era Kamuca is a bit different -- wonderfully mellow, completely mature, and the album on alto captures Bird's spirit (the freedom and rhythmic fluidity) about as well as anyone this side of Dave Schildkraut.

Some footage of this - except with Monty Budwig on bass...

Some years ago, Concord (on their website) was asking for recommendations about albums to reissue on CD. I remember suggesting the Richie Kamuca albums and the early James Williams albums. Needless to say, none of these was ever reissued by them. :angry:

Agree 100%. Unfortunately, another jazz guy who put his cue back in the rack way too soon. If Kamuca hadn't ever done anything other than the Manne Blackhawks, I would still hold him in the highest regard. Those 5 CD's are among my very favorites. Not sure I've ever heard a live date that's captured any better than this one.

Speaking of his Concord recordings, how is it they haven't been released on CD? I was holding out hope, what with Concord celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, that they'd have occasion to look in their vaults and see what's lying around. It's a travesty that these have never been spiffed up and reissued.

Up over and out.

Yeah Richie was such a beautiful player. Too bad all the YouTube videos have been removed.

There were so great. The one with Vic Feldman and Frank Rosolino. I wish I could have d/l them.

I have one of his last LP's on the Jazzz label with Mundell Lowe, Monty Budwig and Nick Cirello.

Denis

Jsngry asked about the origin of Kamuca's surname. Kamuca told my late friend Gunter Nolte that he was the best Jewish-Hawaiian tenor player in Philadelphia (his home town). Actually, I believe Kamuca was part Hawaiian and that the name is probably Japanese/Hawaiian (Kamuka).

• 1 year later...

Some more small group recordings that have good playing by Richie Kamuca.

Stan Levey Sextet - Grand Stan - Bethlehem

Stan Levey Quintet - Mode / VSOP

Shelly Manne & His Men - Yesterdays - Pablo

Jake Hanna - Kansas City Express - Concord (unfortunately not reissued on CD)

I have the "Yesterdays" on Pablo and would also recommend it, a good live set, I would love to get my hands on the 2 Levey's.