Do you like Doo-Wop?

skeith

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did that for the CHARLIE PARKER label???  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :rfr  :rfr  :rfr

What's the story THERE?

I don't know where the material on the pictured recording comes from, but in 1962 the Orioles (with Sonny Til - they weren't the Orioles without him) cut an LP for the Charlie Parker label - some remakes, some new material. Among the backing band were Mundell Lowe, George Duvivier, and Panama Francis.

i fell in love with Doo-Wop the first time is watched the movie American Graffiti. like JohnJ, i really like The Chantels-Maybe.

one of my favs is The Chips-Rubber Buscuit. :tup

i picked up a CD a few months ago called 'The Ultimate Doo Wop Collection'. it's a single CD, NEM CD 618, from Sequel Records.

Gee-The Crows

Crying In The Chapel-Oriols

Speedo-The Cadillacs

I Only Have Eyes For You-The Flamingos

Little Girl Of Mine-The Cleftones

Come Back My Love-The Wrens

I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent-Frankie Lynon & The Teenagers

A Thousand Miles Away-The Heartbeats

Daddy's Home & # Steps From The Alter-Shep and The Limelites

Maybe-The Chantels

Tears On My Pillow-Little Anthony & The Imperials

Blue Moon-The Marcels

Stormy Weather-The Five Sharps

Ka Ding Dong-The G Clefs

Could This Be Magic-The Dubs

Baby Let Me Bang Your Box-The Toppers

Rubber Buscuit-The Chips

Got A Job-The Miracles

Marie-The Four Tunes

Edited by jacman

Got A Job-The Miracles

That tune is a response to one of the baddest doo-wop songs ever; "Get A Job". Can't remember the groups name. It was a big urban hit. Hence the Miracles spin-off.

I believe the group, Sha-Na-Na, derived their name from the opening of "Get A Job". If anyone can remember the name of that group, I would appreciate it.

Got A Job-The Miracles

That tune is a response to one of the baddest doo-wop songs ever; "Get A Job". Can't remember the groups name. It was a big urban hit. Hence the Miracles spin-off.

I believe the group, Sha-Na-Na, derived their name from the opening of "Get A Job". If anyone can remember the name of that group, I would appreciate it.

You are thinking of the Silhouettes.

ghost, you might want to check out The Very Best of the Manhattan Brothers - Their Greatest Hits (1948-1959) - Sterns STCD 3013. The Manhattan Brothers were the most popular South African vocal group during their heyday, and possibly an inspiration for the Cool Crooners, judging from the description given in the press release you printed. The Manhattan Brothers were much more influenced by the Mills Brothers and other earlier vocal groups than by doo wop, and they made some great records.

Hope you do get to emcee that concert.

Fans of Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers,

Does anyone else feel that the sax solo on Why do Fools fall in Love is one of the worst, perhaps inappropriate because it has nothing to do with the melody that went before and afterwards. It could have been phoned in. It has nothing to do with the tune.

• 7 months later...

I've been revisiting THE DAWN OF DOO-WOP, and greatly enjoying in particular a couple of sides by the Larks--"My Reverie" (yep, Debussy) and esp. "Coffee, Cigarettes and Tears." Also just ordered a CD of early Ink Spots material (1935-38) for the Indiana jazz series (they got their start as a street-corner group in Indianapolis).

Picked this up this weekend:

d81679ul5q9.jpg

Totally idiosyncratic and unbelievably happ'nin' shizz-nit!

This compilation has a lot of great stuff on it! Believe it or not, though, there's still a lot of great 5 Royales singles that are NOT included. They were amazing.

The 5 Royales were indeed excellent, and unusual on several levels. Lead by bass singer and guitarist Lowman Pauling, his writing made them more self-contained and less subject to managerial and record company whim than most vocal groups. They also showd a stronger gospel slant than most '50s vocal groups, making their records sound more modern to ears used to '60s soul. One of my favorites among the performances not included in the above mentioned and nonetheless excellent 2 CD set is "I'm With You", cut late in their career (circa 1960?) and without Lowman where pretty much all they sing is "I just want to tell you darling, I'm with you, I'm with you all the way", first one singer then the other. Sam & Dave covered it but didn't manage to reach the same level of fervor.

The 5 Royales were indeed great. An interesting sidelight - They left King Records in 1960, right about the time that James Brown covered their "Think" and had a big hit with it. They signed with Home of the Blues, a small Memphis label, and their first release was a cover of Brown's first hit, "Please, Please, Please". Shortly thereafter, they cut "Much In Need", which is probably the best James Brown soundalike record I've ever heard. In fact, the first time I heard it, I had to check to see if James had actually recorded with them. "Much In Need" has been reissued a few times. If anyone's interested, it's probably most easily available on an Eagle bootleg CD.

And, as long as I'm witing about the 5 Royales, I have to mention "The Slummer the Slum", a great, wailing record.

Paul,

"The Slummer, the Slum" is indeed a fine record, "Sometimes I feel like messing up!", but the chorus always sounds like "da stompy da stomp" to me. Did you ever read the chapter in some rock history book where the writer just made up an elaborate history of the group in their declining years, simply 'cause he couldn't find anything? Strangely, it turned out to be not too far from the truth...

Yes! Reading that chapter is what inspired me to buy my first 5 Royales compilation, lo these many years ago. It was written by Ed Ward, I believe, who does occassional "rock history" radio segments for Fresh Air. It was in the book "Stranded" in which various writers described their personal 'desert island' record; why they chose it, what's so good about it, yadda yadda yadda. Ward's chapter was completely unlike all the others, and very moving. For a while I reread it obsessively.

Another great single of theirs: "Something Moves Me (Deep In My Heart)" ---the last or penultimate song on the Dr. Horse compilation.

And how about the scorching guitar solo on "The Slummer the Slum"?

Did Steve Cropper ever acknowledge a conscious influence? I've sometimes wondered about that, 'cause it sure seems like you can hear it.

Some years ago, a company put out vinyl reprints of the albums that the 5 Royales came out with (the King ones anyway) with the original front and back covers. Have you seen them? They are a sight to behold!

Edited by BruceH