Chronological Jazz Classics, are they ok?

Jazztropic

Here's a complete list of this great series:

http://www.crazyjazz.co.uk/labels/c/classics1.htm

Another thread about Chronological Classics(check out the answers by member Jaffa who writes the liner notes for the series):

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=489&hl=

Where to get:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=15895&hl=

Edited by jostber

PS - these highly inclusive volumes also make me realize HOW MUCH GREAT MUSIC was recorded in the distant past which, due to CAPITALISTIC and other reasons, remains neglected throughout recent history...MAN! :(

Indeed, but otoh, it's those exact same CAPITALISTIC and other reasons that caused it to be recorded in the first place, so...

Yeah, Jim, upon second thought you're right. I should really re-think this to get at the heart of what I mean...perhaps it has something to do with the fact that now we're dealing with a reissue,..."back then," it was musicians and companies putting a musical "product" out for the first time....time passes, people pass, and tastes change...

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm- after visiting this thread and being prompted to return to the Chronological Classics releases I own, I have got to say this IS my CURRENT FAVORITE CD LABEL!! Anatol Schenker & Co. have a hellofa product, IMO! What other label offers such breadth & depth???...from The Three Peppers to King Cole Trio, from Baby Dodds to Big Sid Catlett, from Carter to Bird to Stitt, from Chittison to Garner...(etc.) THIS LABEL ROCKS! I love the variety and packaging...sound quality is GOOD ENOUGH TO GROOVE BY!

I just picked up the 3 Una Mae Carlisle volumes, the 3 Alix Combelles, and the Gene Sedric... :P

Hope they all stay in print! :(

Gotta love Una! :) A perfect example - comprehensive reissue by a great artist who's music is no longer in circulation but definitely should be.

I've got some B/W video feetage of Una that's pretty satisfying...uhhh - - but not QUITE as satisfying as Lena Horne in the sudsy bathtub in "Cabin in the Sky," though!!! :cool:

Gotta love Una! :) A perfect example - comprehensive reissue by a great artist who's music is no longer in circulation but definitely should be.

I've got some B/W video feetage of Una that's pretty satisfying...uhhh - - but not QUITE as satisfying as Lena Horne in the sudsy bathtub in "Cabin in the Sky," though!!! :cool:

"Satisfying" "Video feetage"? I see. :D

It would be easy, perhaps, to overlook this one. Don't.

e91834ffm5j.jpg

I was wondering how this one is...

Lots of raunchy R&B lyrics sung over really good grooves, w/Archia playing very atypical, totally Prezzed-out, R&B solos. Can't say that I've ever heard anybody else play that kind of tenor in those type settings, not to that degree. Fascinating, I think.

There's also some great duets w/Gene Ammons in a straight ahead setting, as well as some really exciting live recordings that occupy that now extinct no-man's-land between swing, bop, and R%B.

Tom Archia might not have been a "giant", but he could damn sure play!

Loved that Tom Archia. It rocks!

Eagerly waiting for the next Archia volume in this Classics series.

That Tom Archia-CD IS stunning: Extremely rare material - and (mostly) breathtaking music.

One of Archia's most ardent admirers and among the first and foremost scholars researching his career was Otto Flueckiger who died on March 7, 2006. See http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/rsrf.html for a lot of info on Archia as well as a humble tribute to Otto whom I've had the pleasure to know for many years. My thoughts are with his wife Trudy and family - and I am sure Otto would love to hear us all play that CD (loud !)

Re. George Wettling Classics (France) 1940 - 1944 track -Blues Ice Size- Is this the same as -Blues for Stu- on the Complete Commode Vol 2 LP#16. Does anybody know? Could somebody please post the master# for -Blues Ice Size- ?

I am trying to fix bad LP tracks in the Commodore set. I am having a tough time locating lots ot stuff. It's like somebody cleaned out the relevant Classics (France) Cds. For example Hot Lips Page tracks from 1944, Albert Ammons tracks from 1944, George Brunies (or Brunis) from 1944 impossible to locate. Also some Ralph Sutton, Joe Bushkin.

I have tried City Hall, Worlds Records, Tower, CD Universe, CD connection, eBay, as I said above, it's like somebody grabbed the stuff lately, just can't be found! Who has an answer?

Thanks a lot.

:rlol

Re. George Wettling Classics (France) 1940 - 1944 track -Blues Ice Size- Is this the same as -Blues for Stu- on the Complete Commode Vol 2 LP#16. Does anybody know? Could somebody please post the master# for -Blues Ice Size- ?

That track is listed as 'Blues for Stu' on the Wettling Classics CD 909 according to the Classics catalogue that came out several years ago. It is master 4804-1.

Don't have that Classics CD with me.

• 2 weeks later...

"tell me where you have the complete master takes of Henderson, Cab Calloway, Mills Blue Rhythm, Johnny Dodds, Edgar Hayes, Red Allen, Joe Sullivan, Don Byas, Cootie Williams, Putney Dandridge, Hot Lips Page, Bud Freeman, Andy Kirk, Cozy Cole, Stuff Smith, Richard M Jones and dozens of others."

in the basement -

Lucky!!!

:)

Loved that Tom Archia. It rocks!

Eagerly waiting for the next Archia volume in this Classics series.

That Tom Archia-CD IS stunning: Extremely rare material - and (mostly) breathtaking music.

I finally received this in the mail...very tasty session indeed...also dig the vocalists a lot. This music walks the fine line between jazz & early R&B which I appreciate. A little disappointed in the harmonic sophistication of the material - lots of blues based tunes with improv that doesn't use a great deal of chromatic alteration/blues scales - even lacks extensive use of Mm7 chords and favors a more triadic approach.

Still a very cool set! :cool:

ANOTHER GREAT SERIES to spend more cashola on!!! :(