Jackie McLean Tune

Peter Friedman

I was listening to the Jackie McLean tune "Great Rainstreet Blues". It is on the Steeplechase recording called ODE TO SUPER. That tune sounded extremely familiar. I was able to rather quickly identify it as the title tune of the Blue Note recording BLUESNIK.

It is not totally shocking to have tunes re-titled. It would be interesting to have a listing of such tunes. It usually happens when composer credit is given to a different person. It happens less frequently when, as in the Mclean case, the composer credit remains the same with both titles.

If I recall correctly, Jackie's "Inding" on an early Prestige (New Jazz?) date was later retitled "Quadrangle" on the Blue Note JACKIE'S BAG date.

Mingus' compositions were notoriously retitled by him, e.g., "E's Flat, Ah's Flat Too" (Atlantic) became "Hora Decubitus (Impulse), "Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat" (Columbia) = "Theme for Lester Young" (Impulse), etc.

Sonny Stitt recorded "Eternal Triangle" with Dizzy and Rollins, and recorded the same tune (with a regular rhythm changes bridge) as "The String" on one of his own dates for Verve.

Mis-identification: On Miles' Jazz at the Plaza, the tune "Straight, No Chaser" is incorrectly listed as "Jazz at the Plaza" on the LP release. (also incorrectly listed the drummer as Philly Jo, when it was actually Jimmy Cobb)

'Couldn't It Be You?' is credited to Blakey and McLean, 'Fidel' to McLean alone. The only copyright deposit I found is for 'Fidel'.

Peter, a list of such retitlings would require a web page unto itself. Often, it is done for publishing purposes. A composer will deposit a piece with a publisher he has already deposited with another publisher under another title.

Bertrand.

A composer will deposit a piece with a publisher he has already deposited with another publisher under another title.

Bertrand.

This would be the usual reason why, Peter; to have newly recorded versions where the publishing is not shared under a old deal.

Sometimes with a slightly new arangement.