Trivia question.....

Here's a question I once knew the answer to but have since forgotten. On the master take of Straight No Chaser, at about 7:30 into the tune (piano solo) Red Garland plays a portion (harmonized) of a solo that Miles played when he was with Bird. I can't remember which Bird tune (obviously a blues) and session this came from.

Anyone?

Thanks. That Miles/Coltrane box is sure a beautiful thing, isn't it?

What is so funny is the newly released earlier take of "Straight No Chaser". After fine solos by the horns, Red tries over and over to play that Miles solo, but gets the timing all messed up and ends up in a heap on the floor. I'm surprised that Miles did not tell him to dump the idea before trying a new take - I would have. The fact that Red does it again, but gets it right, suggests that maybe the whole group pre-planned this. The result is a superb all-round performance, anyway.

I am old enough to have heard the "Now's The Time" solo before "Straight No Chaser". D'Oh!