Durium

Ben Webster

105 posts in this topic

On 23/03/2014 at 6:06 PM, Cyril said:

I have that album. This are 3 concerts. Recordings from 1969 and from 1973, the year of his death....The final concert...

His last words: ‘Son, you are young and growing, and I am old and going, so have your fun while you can.’

On Thursday the 6th of September 1973 Ben has a gig in 'De Twee Spieghels' in Leiden. A concert that would become historical ...

Ben Walenkamp, the manager of the club, remembers that Ben wasn't in good shape, He was accompanied that evening by the Irv Rocklin Trio, featuring Irv Rocklin at the piano, Henk Haverhoek on double bass and Peter Ypma on drums.

Durium wrote a good article:

As Brownie noted on page 1, the first CD of Ben Webster The Holland Sessions contains two studio dates recorded at the Bovema Studio in Heemstede. (Incidentally, this is where I live).

https://blog.discogs.com/en/emi-in-the-netherlands-gramophone-house/

u399-_Bovema-studio-_Heemstede_Overbosla

u2322-u402-_Gramophone-_House.jpg

Edited by erwbol

On ‎25‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 11:07 PM, erwbol said:

As Brownie noted on page 1, the first CD of Ben Webster The Holland Sessions contains two studio dates recorded at the Bovema Studio in Heemstede. (Incidentally, this is where I live).

It are 3 concerts !!! Two studio dates and the last one is a live recording.   It's recorded on September 6, 1973 at Café - Sociëteit 'De Twee Spieghels', Leiden.

Recorded by Ton Olde Monnikhof on a Akai stereo cassette - recorder and 2 microphones. Recordings compiled by Frank Jansen. Recordings electronically improved at EMI's Intertone Studios, Heemstede, The Netherlands by Maarten Proost.

Previously released on vinyl longplay as "Last Concert". Ben with Irv Rocklin - piano, Henk Haverhoek - bass and Peter Ypma on drums.

What do you mean 3 concerts? Only disc 2 is live and was recorded on a single day. Do you mean Ben played 3 sets at De Twee Spieghels that day? (I don't count studio dates as concerts.)

https://catalog.princeton.edu/catalog/7170122

Anyway, I ordered a copy this weekend. I look forward to hearing Ben play at the studio I pass so often with my dog on the way to the Haarlemmerhout:)

Edited by erwbol

Spelling, grammar, semantics. Pffff! We see.