Picpost

mikeweil

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only got to talk with Hill for about 2 minutes tops, and maybe only like 90 seconds. There were like a dozen other fans waiting for his autograph too, and wanting to get pictures of or with him.

He was very nice, and (like I had heard in interviews with him), he spoke with a sort of herky-jerky stutter. Not that he has a stutter, in the medical/clinical sense - but rather, the cadence of his speech was highly 'broken-up' and fragmented.

In fact, (and I can't take credit for this observation - it comes from Jason Moran), there are some definite similarities between the 'broken'-ness of Hill's melody lines (rhythmically speaking), and the broken-ness of Hill's own 'normal' manner of speech. Pretty cool observation, actually.

He was very nice, and I was honored to have met him. He's one of my biggest heroes, right up there with Miles and Ellington, and Ornette and Sun Ra.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Here's a picture of me and Andrew Hill...   :g

The nice thing about that picture is that it finally replaces the mental image I've had of you ever since you posted this in my birthday thread:

birthday.jpg

:g

Edited by Joe G

For the record, that picture of the freakazoid with the cats isn't me, never was me, and I have no idea who that guy even is. I just typed "happy birthday" into the Google image search function, saw something disturbing, and felt the need to share it with all of you. :g

For instance, a quick Google image search on "freakazoid" reveals that there is, in fact, some sort of a minor pop-culture icon, who really is, well, a "Freakazoid!"!!! :rfr

toonfreak.gif

And I guess this is his theme-song... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Freakazoid.GIF

Edited by Rooster_Ties

modern20a-2.jpg

At one point, Williams wrote an arrangement of "Scorpio," one of the movements from The Zodiac Suite, to feature three pianos: Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk and herself. This unrecorded arrangement offers moot testimony to Mary Lou Williams' adventurousness as a composer and arranger.

http://newarkwww.rutgers.edu/ijs/mlw/modern_1.html