Don Cheadle may play Miles Davis in biopic

Don Cheadle may play Miles Davis in biopic

‘Training Day's’ Antoine Fuqua is a possible director for the film

Reuters

Updated: 12:09 a.m. ET March 14, 2006

NEW YORK - Jazz legend Miles Davis, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday, may be resurrected in a biographical movie with Don Cheadle playing the lead, Davis’ family said.

His nephew, Vince Wilburn, told reporters after Davis was inducted into the Hall of Fame that Sony Pictures was working on a movie as well as planning several CDs to celebrate what would have been Davis’ 80th birthday later this year.

"People are submitting scripts to Sony Pictures," Wilburn said. "A few names have come up [to play Davis] but Don Cheadle’s name keeps coming up," he said.

Wilburn said the movie could touch on Davis’ private life as well as his career as a groundbreaking jazz musician who later branched out into music that crossed over into rock and funk.

Wilburn said a possible director for the film was Antoine Fuqua, best known for "Training Day," the movie for which Denzel Washington won a best-acting Oscar in 2002.

Davis’ son, Gregory, recalled touring with his father, who died of a stroke in 1991, and said he would have been proud of the honor bestowed on him at Monday’s gala ceremony in New York’s Waldorf-Astoria hotel.

"We’re very proud because this man’s ancestors came out of slavery and he’s an international icon all over the world and America should be proud of him," he said.

Asked about Davis’ reputation as a tough and difficult man, his daughter, Cheryl, conceded that image was accurate at times but said there was another side to him. "He wasn’t an angry black man ... he was very humorous. ... He lived life to the fullest and he absorbed cultures from all over the world."

Source: MSNBC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've liked Don Cheadle ever since I first saw him as the DA on the old TV show "Picket Fences". I think he would be great as Miles and his status as a serious and well-respected craftsman would impart a certain level of gravitas to the project. No matter what direction they go with this, anything beats the Snoop Dog option.

Up over and out.

That would be FANTASTIC!

On a related note, I (seriously) think that Eminem would be a natural to play Bix.

eminem.jpgbeiderbeckeb.jpg

Really???? :blink: Somehow, I just don't see Eminem having anywheres near the sensitivity to play him. He's too old now, but I could see Johnny Depp being able to pull it off....

Don Cheadle would be a good choice. I really cannot think of any other big name actor who would be convincing as Miles.

Sure. But how about Lance Reddick from 'The Wire'?

lance_reddick_sized.jpg

teaser-reddick.jpg

I can totally see the resemblance...a good actor too, although not really "a big name"

Edited by Kari S

post-19-1085429687.jpg

In the studio for the famous "Kind Of High" session.

Tunes include:

Blowin' Green

All Booze

Freddie Freebaser

Gary Coleman as Pee Wee Marquette?

Tom Cruise as Bob Weinstock?

Phyllis Diller as Paul Chambers (she plays bass)?

Reese Witherspoon as Jeri Southern?

Haven't laughed this hard in a while...thanks!!! :tup :tup :rofl::rofl: