Four Freshmen and Mildred Bailey Running Low!

I shouldn't have been suprised really - was listening to all the 'negatives' about this set on the board. Seemed to be everyone had negatives about it.

I like the set. I can handle the vocals and the backing charts with the trombone groups etc. are pretty nice. Its a real nice Mosaic to sample in not too big doses on Sunday mornings whilst you are doing the ironing and grooving along. :)

Still procrastinating on the Mildred Bailey. What I've heard of the set sounds really nice but can I justify 10CDs of this stuff.? :wacko:

I need to enter the Lottery with Chuck..

Edited by sidewinder

If anyone out there is still thinking about the Mildred Bailey you better make your move - just ordered it and there are only about thirty sets remaining! :o

Still procrastinating.

I think I'll probably pass on this one.

Same here. I regret missing out on some of the instrumental solos, but for me her voices ranges from good to irritating.

A side note - Mildred Bailey died about ten miles from where I live, and a woman in this area owns her piano - inherited from her father, who bought it at auction.

• 4 weeks later...

Another :tup for the Four Freshmen box... liked it when I first got it, and it's proven to be quite a grower as well. Listened to disc 3 when I drove over to Columbus tonight to hear Ross Barbour talk at the library (the legacy group is performing tomorrow evening) and some of that stuff, like "Till," is just beautiful. Barbour was extremely amiable, and quite a few folk in the crowd (which numbered about 150, at least) knew him from his childhood/teen days in the Columbus area. Shared a lot of great anecdotes, was genuinely engaging and funny... he signed my Mosaic booklet for me. :) We talked about what a great & overlooked song Bobby Troup's "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" is, and I told him I really liked the previously unissued recording of Kenton's "Intermission Riff" that they did (the Mosaic has about a CD's worth of previously unreleased material, I think). I asked him who he was crazy about in the 1940s, and he said Mel Torme and the Mel-Tones and Kenton's Pastels... plus the Demarcos Sisters, whom I hadn't heard of.

my sets arrived last week

FFreshmen: #2954

Mildred: #2143

Marcus

Re Mildred Bailey set. You've in your hands some excellent excellent music. I first bought both volumes of the Definitive rip-offs :blush: but then got so hooked on the music I had to get the Mosaic for the extras.

Re Mildred Bailey set. You've in your hands some excellent excellent music. I first bought both volumes of the Definitive rip-offs :blush: but then got so hooked on the music I had to get the Mosaic for the extras.

You might be in a position to answer this one: had Definitive ripped off the Mosaic remasterings or not? It is often said that they did but no-one seems to have heard both sets. What was your impression?

You might be in a position to answer this one: had Definitive ripped off the Mosaic remasterings or not? It is often said that they did but no-one seems to have heard both sets. What was your impression?

From memory, the sound quality on the Definitives on a lot of the songs is poor - some seemed like direct dubs from heavily used LPs but I'm not sure as it's been almost 2 years since I listened to them. The Mosaics however, are in excellent sound. Perhaps this leaves room for doubt as to whether it was an outright rip-off, more like the borrowing of a concept to undercut Mosaic's release?

From memory, the sound quality on the Definitives on a lot of the songs is poor - some seemed like direct dubs from heavily used LPs but I'm not sure as it's been almost 2 years since I listened to them. The Mosaics however, are in excellent sound. Perhaps this leaves room for doubt as to whether it was an outright rip-off, more like the borrowing of a concept to undercut Mosaic's release?

Thanks for the insight. It seems that the Definitive issue as not as 'criminal' as I had supposed. It also makes the Mosaic that much more essential - speaking as someone who reluctantly passed on it!