Aug/Sept 2006 US RVG Reissues

Kevin Bresnahan

Mobley's Another Workout sounds exactly like that, just a *yawn* another blowing session. If I may so bold to say, one of the dullest sessions I've heard. :beee:

I like it, though. But that's just me being dull.

I'm one of the dullest persons I know, so no wonder I love that date.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about the Mobley Savoy sessions - there's some very strong compositions on these dates, especially 'Madeline' and 'Spece Flight'. Besides, the tracks are way too short to be considered 'blowing tunes'. The solos end way before they get old.

I haven't listened to the Prestige stuff that much. I never did buy the Fantasy CD since a tune was missing, and I was annoyed since they could have easily solved the problem by leaving out 'Au Privave' instead and making it a bonus track on Jackie McLean's 4.5 and 6 album.

Johnny Griffin's A Blowing Session - now that's a Blowing Session!

Bertrand.

nice batch. Though I already have the Morgan's in the Mosaic, I made a CDR of "The Cooker" for easy access because its one of my favorite sessions, so I will probably buy the RVG. Looking forward to the Hutcherson too, since they released Oblique, this will make a nice companion.

A nice batch, except that they've all been out. I don't get it - while I enjoy Bob Blumenthal as much as the next person, can't EMI find something new to release from their vast holdings? Aren't there some titles on Pacific Jazz or Roulette that would be commercially viable as well as musically important?? Instead, under the guise of some marginal improvement in sound (and the public has pretty much spoken on THAT issue) we get the same stuff.

The CD has 6 tracks, totalling 42:50. They are:

Out of Joe's Bag (Mobley) 5:07

I Should Care (Cohn-Stardahl-Weston) 7:44

Gettin' And Jettin' (Mobley) 7:46

Hank's Other Soul (Mobley) 8:44

Hello Young Lovers (Rogers-Hammerstein) 8:06

Three Coins In A Fountain (Styne-Cahn) 5:21

Three Mobley originals with Hank, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe? The Kelly/Chambers rhythm section was on "Peckin' Time", Soul Station". "Roll Call" and "Workout". The three of them were Miles' backing band at the time. I don't see how this could be considered an off-the-cuff blowing session.

Not sure I ever said anything about this being an off-the-cuff blowing session; I'm really looking forward to hearing this! My bad, however, as I thought there were only four other tracks, instead of five, with the "3 Coins!" :) If it fits, I'm gonna put both of these sessions onto one CDR for car-driving!

Well, I didn't rave about this one, if that's what you mean. I merely commented that the Japanese RVG CD sounded weird to my ears. As for the music, it's not one of my favorite McLean dates but I wouldn't dump it. :)

Kevin

The sound quality was what I was referring to. I remember it sounding like it had been mastered through an aqualung! :g

Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata

Freddie Hubbard – Here To Stay

Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings

Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance

Horace Silver – Doin’ The Thing At The Village Gate (includes bonus tracks)

Good bunch

I'll be going for these. I have the rest in some form or another, I have Demon Dance on the McMaster Cd (thin watery sound) and but will replace if the RVG sounds better.

CJ Shearn - I've had all these titles so long (and mostly in single, domestically released versions), I guess I assume they're readily available, when in fact they probably have been discontinued for years. And it is a good batch - you won't go wrong with any of them. But, geeze, is this policy of deleting and re-releasing the same albums really the best for anyone?

I just got the planned RVG titles for this summer. I know a lot of people have wanted "Here To Stay" and there it sits! :)

FWIW, I am so glad to see Mobley's "Another Workout" coming back into print and Lee Morgan's "The Cooker" has some killer Pepper Adams.

The titles are... drum roll please...

AUGUST

Donald Byrd – Royal Flush

Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata

Johnny Griffin – The Congregation (includes bonus track)

Lee Morgan – The Cooker (bonus track)

Hank Mobley – Another Workout

Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring

SEPTEMBER

Donald Byrd – Off To The Races

Freddie Hubbard – Here To Stay

Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance

Lee Morgan – City Lights

Horace Silver – Doin’ The Thing At The Village Gate (includes bonus tracks)

I have "Trompeta Toccata", "The Congregation", "The Cooker" and "Doin' The Thing At The Village Gate" (I think) on Japanese RVGs. All of them sound very good. I once owned the Japanese RVG of "Demon's Dance" and I thought it sounded like AM radio. We'll see if this new version gets it right.

Kevin

That's amazing. Nice albums to come out on RVG

Please...a new cover for Another Workout...PLEASE!!!!

I've been waiting for this session to be re-issued for a LONG time, actually one of my favorite Hank's (anything with this rhythm section).

It's a fun brain test as well, since Hank re-recorded the originals (and sometimes more than once) under different titles later on....

Aaaarghhhhh....

I didn't know about the recycling of the tunes from Another Workout!

I need to put EVERY Hank Mobley composition into my iPod into a playlist and use that to get them straight. That's what I did with Monk.

I'll start a thread later to try to sort this out.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Well...they are earlier versions of songs (Gettin' & Jettin' is a pre-cursor to Up A Step/No Room For Squares, etc). But they are very different renditions.

The main joy of this album though...is that it's a quartet setting...and it's Wynton Kelly, Hank & Wynton were definitely on the same wavelength.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I have to say...

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this one to come back in print. A phenomenal record.

And I guess I must be dull too, 'cause I also like Mobley's "Another Workout."

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sources indicate that the Silver will have Bonus tracks.

Here is the link to a discography from the shows that were recorded...

http://www.jazzdisco.org/bluenote/1961-dis/c/#610519.

The cd version had two tracks added. Hopefully the tracks that have been issued previously will be on this new RVG.

As far as I know, they always have all the original-album tracks on the RVG---then they drop any bonus tracks at the end, which is the right way to do it. So don't worry.