Aug/Sept 2006 US RVG Reissues

Kevin Bresnahan

I just got the planned RVG titles for this summer. I know a lot of people have wanted "Here To Stay" and there it sits! :)

FWIW, I am so glad to see Mobley's "Another Workout" coming back into print and Lee Morgan's "The Cooker" has some killer Pepper Adams.

The titles are... drum roll please...

AUGUST

Donald Byrd – Royal Flush

Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata

Johnny Griffin – The Congregation (includes bonus track)

Lee Morgan – The Cooker (bonus track)

Hank Mobley – Another Workout

Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring

SEPTEMBER

Donald Byrd – Off To The Races

Freddie Hubbard – Here To Stay

Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings

Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance

Lee Morgan – City Lights

Horace Silver – Doin’ The Thing At The Village Gate (includes bonus tracks)

I have "Trompeta Toccata", "The Congregation", "The Cooker" and "Doin' The Thing At The Village Gate" (I think) on Japanese RVGs. All of them sound very good. I once owned the Japanese RVG of "Demon's Dance" and I thought it sounded like AM radio. We'll see if this new version gets it right.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the way the folks at Penguin do things not a one has a review in the latest book. :P (No, I don't feel that dependent on their reviews, especially given how great Tomcat is compared to their 2 1/2 stars, just pointing it out that's all. Hee hee hee.)

It's starting to be a habit now to say "Well, thanks to the Mosaic I won't be getting..." :)

But I'm looking forward to a quite a few of these. And it's great that It Might As Well Be Spring is back in print again!

I've already got all of the sessions either on domestic or Japanese versions. Probably won't upgrade many, but I do believe the domestic recording of "Here to Stay" could do a makover.

Here we go again with an RVGs of Conn titles: Congregation and "It Might as Well be Spring." I've got a JRVG of the latter, so won't buy the RVG; but "Congregation" definitely needed some RVG treatment. I'll upgrade that one.

Happy enough with all the others, though I might buy the "Demon Dance" to compare it with my JRVG.

Mobley's Another Workout sounds exactly like that, just a *yawn* another blowing session. If I may so bold to say, one of the dullest sessions I've heard. :beee:

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. There are days when I prefer "Another Workout" over "Workout". The 1960-63 era Mobley Blue Notes are my favorite and this one fits in perfectly. He was still blowing that hard bop but he was getting funky. I prefer it over the Mosaic material.

Mobley's Savoy and Prestige sessions sound like blowing sessions to me.

Kevin

Mobley's Another Workout sounds exactly like that, just a *yawn* another blowing session. If I may so bold to say, one of the dullest sessions I've heard. :beee:

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. There are days when I prefer "Another Workout" over "Workout". The 1960-63 era Mobley Blue Notes are my favorite and this one fits in perfectly. He was still blowing that hard bop but he was getting funky. I prefer it over the Mosaic material.

Mobley's Savoy and Prestige sessions sound like blowing sessions to me.

Kevin

And I couldn't agree more with you, Kevin.

I still have those Prestiges, in the separate Japanese K2 versions, but I might be tempted to sell them :)

Donald Byrd – Royal Flush - from the Mosaic. Probably my favorite Byrd session!

Lee Morgan – The Cooker (bonus track) - nice to see some 50's Mogie getting the RVG treatment. Hell, for that matter it's nice to see ANY 50's material getting the RVG upgrade.

Hank Mobley – Another Workout - does anyone have the track listing for this? Wasn't it just four songs, plus "Three Coins in the Fountain?" I mean, I'm still gonna get it eventually, but it seems like it would've been nicer just to put these songs on "Workout!"

Donald Byrd – Off To The Races - another from the Mosaic, another great one! Jackie Mac KILLS on this one!

Freddie Hubbard – Here To Stay - this oughta be worth hearing!

Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings - another one I'm looking forward to hearing, especially since Oblique came out!

Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance - in COMPLETE agreement with Kevin on this one!

Lee Morgan – City Lights - see above comments on The Cooker

Horace Silver – Doin’ The Thing At The Village Gate (includes bonus tracks) - another one I was hoping would be released! This is my favorite Silver group!

Wow, SEVEN from these batches. This'll break me AGAIN! (Not gonna buy the Byrd titles, but just wanted to encourage those who missed the Mosaic to pick these up!)

Hank Mobley – Another Workout - does anyone have the track listing for this? Wasn't it just four songs, plus "Three Coins in the Fountain?" I mean, I'm still gonna get it eventually, but it seems like it would've been nicer just to put these songs on "Workout!"

The CD has 6 tracks, totalling 42:50. They are:

Out of Joe's Bag (Mobley) 5:07

I Should Care (Cohn-Stardahl-Weston) 7:44

Gettin' And Jettin' (Mobley) 7:46

Hank's Other Soul (Mobley) 8:44

Hello Young Lovers (Rogers-Hammerstein) 8:06

Three Coins In A Fountain (Styne-Cahn) 5:21

Three Mobley originals with Hank, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe? The Kelly/Chambers rhythm section was on "Peckin' Time", Soul Station". "Roll Call" and "Workout". The three of them were Miles' backing band at the time. I don't see how this could be considered an off-the-cuff blowing session.

Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance - in COMPLETE agreement with Kevin on this one!

Well, I didn't rave about this one, if that's what you mean. I merely commented that the Japanese RVG CD sounded weird to my ears. As for the music, it's not one of my favorite McLean dates but I wouldn't dump it. :)

Kevin

I have many of these, but not the Silver Doin' the Thing or the Hubbard and Another Workout only on LP. Still am looking forward to them. It does seem like almost everything in the vaults comes back around some time or other. Maybe if I had known that I wouldn't have gotten some of these at outrageous import prices. Oh well ...