"Queen of the Organ: Shirley Scott"

music_review_scott.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Queen of the Organ: Shirley Scott." Although an admirer of Jimmy Smith, Shirley Scott found her own sound on the Hammond B-3 and became its most renowned female practioner, recording a number of soul-jazz classics from the late 1950s onward. We'll hear selections from the many albums that she and husband Stanley Turrentine recorded during the 1960s, as well as collaborations with Eddie Lockjaw Davis and Oliver Nelson, and her rarely-heard 1974 Strata East album One for Me. "Queen of the Organ" airs Saturday, March 18 at 11:05 p.m. on WFIU. The program will be posted to the Night Lights archives the following Monday afternoon.

Next week: "The Late Miss D." Dinah Washington's early-1960s Roulette recordings.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally archived.

Open to suggestions for material for a sequel--as I said, had to leave a lot on the cutting-room floor, so to speak.

i have her on shirley's sounds, i think, doing a kickass version of BACK HOME IN INDIANA,

which probably wouldnt interest you. :cool:duvivier and i dont recall the drummer.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

It's finally archived.

Open to suggestions for material for a sequel--as I said, had to leave a lot on the cutting-room floor, so to speak.

i have her on shirley's sounds, i think, doing a kickass version of BACK HOME IN INDIANA,

which probably wouldnt interest you. :cool:duvivier and i dont recall the drummer.

Aw, sure it would! :D I just used Julie London's version of said song on Afterglow... surprisingly good! (From the 1957 JULIE album.)

• 10 years later...
  • 3 years later...