A request...

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim (and everyone),

although it might not be that popular (and it makes life a bit more difficult), let me suggest a route of income that might really help out.

I've run several sites in my life and lately I've been making quite a bit of money off the Amazon associate programme (surprisingly much with very few links).

If I think about the number of CDs I bought via recommendations here, you could have made several hundred bucks just off my purchases.

Now, I'm off to the hospital very soon for an unknown amount of time, but here's, quickly, how it could work:

a) Set up one (!) associate account for amazon.us (and maybe one for the other countries) and mail the account data to those people wishing to use it/helping you post the links.

b) Then, for example, start a central repository thread in which all the recommended CDs are posted (if someone recommends one, he/she should make sure it is included there) and specifically refer to that threat or ask people to use it when purchasing. Not everyone will do so, but I'm sure many people here would, just to support this great board.

c) Start making money.

The problem is creating the links on the associate pages. You have to have a normal amazon window open, copy the link to any CD, stick it into a text field on the associate page and then copy out the generated link. That link you can either post directly in the Organissimo "sales" thread or shorten it via TinyUrl and then post it.

Everyone that clicks and buys something will make you money.

If you have three/four people helping you out with this, it's easy. A concerted effort is necessary though because you, Jim, will probably not have the time.

So, anyone posting a recommendation can try to make sure the CD is included in the sales list and can refer readers to that thread via a post scriptium, or whatever. If already some "oldtimers" who want to help out do this, it should generate some cash.

Other possibilities: People could have some CDs in their signatures linking to the associate pages, etc.

The possibilities are endless if everyone is a bit creative.

I have less than 20 links on my site that are referral links. I didn't think I was making any money until I got a mail the other day that since the middle of February, I had made about $250. Many of my readers bought via my site. And kudos to them.

Think about it before dismissing it.

Gotta go (and will only be around sporadically for a few days/weeks), but I'm sure we have members here that could maybe help out with the technical details here.

Best,

nof

Excuse typos (I'm virtually blind at the moment, and I'm not kidding.)

Edit: One of Germany's bigger DVD forums is making a ton of money this way. And I mean tons. They have several thousand users and have a (minimum) 4-digit (maximum) 5-digit income EACH MONTH by supplying regularly updated shopping threads!

Edited by neveronfriday

Hmm... that is a crazy idea. It just might work! :)

The problem, as you stated, is how to get people to use the links in their posts when talking about specific records. I suppose it could be as simple as someone posting about a particular thread, and I could come in and post something like, "Hey, if you want to buy this disc, please do so through this link and help earn the organissimo forum some bread!"

There might even be a way in the software to make such a post a "sticky" at the top of the thread (I'll have to look into that).

Then there could be a master-list thread with all the discs discussed on here, in alphabetical order, with links to Amazon and also links to those discussions. It would take awhile to set up (and would continually be a work in progress) but it could be worth the effort, for sure.

Hmmm....

I'm curious what people think of the Amazon Associate idea. It seems like a nice way of generating income from this place, since many of you buy lots of CDs. As mentioned in the other thread, this forum tends to bog down once 60+ people get on it and very soon I'm going to have to upgrade the server. If, through this Amazon Associates thing, we could generate some income towards the monthly bill, that would be fantastic.

I think it would depend on how many people here bought titles from Amazon all that often.

I may well be in the minority here, but I rarely buy CD's from Amazon, as I can usually find cheaper prices elsewhere.

Isn't there some sort of similar pay-back referal program with CDUniverse? My general sense is that maybe more people here buy from them (CDU) than they do from Amazon, but I might be all wet behind the ears on both counts.

Not that I don't think the idea is good - I just think it might warrent a poll or something to see where people are actually buying stuff online - when they buy brand new titles. (Or at least among places/sites that offer some sort of small pay-back per disc for referals.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I signed up for CDUniverse. If you want to order something and give the forums credit, just add this to the end of the string in your address bar:

&frm=lk_organissimo

In other words, if you are trying to order this:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...278854377&BAB=M

To give organissimo forums credit for the sale, just add &frm=lk_organissimo to the end so it looks like this:

http://www.cduniverse.com...snip...2788543...=lk_organissimo

I will start compending a list of discs that have been discussed on this board and creating another forum to house the lists. In the meantime, just add that little string to the end of the address for any CD.