american/european jazz musicians

jazz1

I was reading in a French jazz magazine something to the effect

that European jazz musicians take there music much more seriously that their American equivalent??

I don't really know myself, but what I found while visiting Europe and attending jazz gigs over the years,

was that a certain honesty prevailed, no pretence, less showmanship, no bullshit, more sincerity, more themselves

And one thing for sure they all sound different, they do not all come out of Berklee.

Another thing that was evident is that clubs are better attended, especially by the younger crowd.

Much more enthusiasm.

Another strange situation "Blue Note" "Concord" and others American labels release European artists in Europe, but these same dics are not available in the US, not even listed as part of their catalogues, why should that be???

Another thing I found, jazz is really big in Italy and so much talent, just amazing.

Another strange situation "Blue Note" "Concord" and others American labels release European artists in Europe, but these same dics are not available in the US, not even listed as part of their catalogues, why should that be???

Can you post some examples?

It is very much a generalisation but American musicians and fans see jazz as an entertainment music and European musicians and fans see it as an art form.

Regarding European Blue Note issuing French musicians go to:

www.bluenote.tm.fr

But unfortunately the site is being reconstructed at the moment.

Some UK musicians recorded for Blue Note International, Stan Tracey for one, which seemed to be the UK branch, now defunct, but these were available in the US possibly as imports.

There was a Scott Hamilton, and perhaps others, recorded in the UK for Concord, was this issued in the US? Also, I think, an Alan Barnes for the same label.

John Delaney

It is very much a generalisation but American musicians and fans see jazz as an entertainment music and European musicians and fans see it as an art form.

Regarding European Blue Note issuing French musicians go to:

www.bluenote.tm.fr

But unfortunately the site is being reconstructed at the moment.

Some UK musicians recorded for Blue Note International, Stan Tracey for one, which seemed to be the UK branch, now defunct, but these were available in the US possibly as imports.

There was a Scott Hamilton, and perhaps others, recorded in the UK for Concord, was this issued in the US? Also, I think, an Alan Barnes for the same label.

John Delaney

Yes Alan Barnes is an example, why does Concord does not relese his cds in the USA

As far as Blue Note

Thierry Lang and Malcom Braff are the ones I can think off at the moment.

Again why are these cds not officially released in the USA

This is as good material as any.

Are they protecting the interest of American musicians????