Shorty Rogers Mosaic At Last!

After much searching, I scored a mint Shorty Rogers LP set! Of all the out-of-print Mosaics I've added to my collection, this has been the toughest to find for a reasonable price (I paid $175). The last time I located a copy for sale it was $300-and when they do show up on ebay the price gets higher. I remember reading on the old bnbb that poor sales made this a rare one, but it is such a great set I can't believe it didn't sell. For me, this is West Coast Jazz at its' finest! As for sound quality-the music just leaps out of those grooves-Pepper, Rogers, Giuffre, Shank, Sweets Edison, Shelly Manne et al swing like mad! So I'm a happy camper. And I got to wondering: what is/was the toughest Mosaic for you guys?

:P

I too just picked up the Shorty vinyl at a mighty nice price, except the box hinge is a bit destroyed. I have the cds and the vinyl just blows them away-I hear things not heard on the cds. It's a great set...but you knew that, desertblues.

So, if the LPs blow away those CDs, what would it take to pry those horrible-sounding CDs out of your possession? :) That's about the only Mosaic set I'm watching for... Ebay has been crazy with this set.

Later,

Kevin

This is a fantastic set - a delight from beginning to end. $175 for a mint set is a pretty good find too. Most of the boxes for this one seem to have been pre-programmed to self destruct after about 10 years, judging by the usual standard of sets for sale ;)

I wonder how many of the Shorty LP sets were pressed in the end?

Hint: it's not too hard to get reasonably priced originals of all the Shortys... BLACK LABEL Atlantic, ahhhh... I actually had a harder time finding "Clickin' With Clax" than the others... And do you really wanna be w/o those original "Martians" covers? Methinks not.

clem

The domestic Atlantics yes, but then you'd have to find the UK-only lps, the Pacific Jazz & Capitol lps, & last but not least that 10-inch Nocturne! Even then you wouldn't have the unissued material. Although the original covers are way cool, I'd have to consider the Mosaic an essential purchase (and the sound on these lps is terrific)! I have only begun to delve into this set, but it is proof positive that these "West Coast Jazzmen" got a bad rap from some of the critics.

B)

DB-If you like the West Coast sound, forget about the critics and go with your ears. The list of West Coasters who put out fabulous music is way too long to list...Rogers, Rossolino, Terry Gibbs, Shank, Kamuca, Manne, Pepper, Benny Carter, Land, Chet Baker, Russ Freeman, Gerald Wilson, etc. Pacific Jazz and V.S.O.P. are labels that you need to focus on. The Shorty set is, like the O'Day set, a real surprise to many for all the goodies. Enjoy it.

Thanks to a kind soul on this board, I'm now able to listen to this set. :excited: Thanks again to you-know-who-you-are! Great music ... and I only had to wait around ten years to hear most of it!

Now I'm trying to track down the song list, times, and personnel (from the Mosaic). So far, internet searches have yielded dead-ends. Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

I wish that Mosaic would list this kind of information on their site — I'm speaking of the discographies of OOP sets, that is. The traffic they'd get for that feature alone ... I bet they'd see at least a small rise in sales!

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help out.

Late

• 2 years later...

Thanks to a kind soul on this board, I'm now able to listen to this set. :excited: Thanks again to you-know-who-you-are! Great music ... and I only had to wait around ten years to hear most of it!

Now I'm trying to track down the song list, times, and personnel (from the Mosaic). So far, internet searches have yielded dead-ends. Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

I wish that Mosaic would list this kind of information on their site — I'm speaking of the discographies of OOP sets, that is. The traffic they'd get for that feature alone ... I bet they'd see at least a small rise in sales!

Late

Any pointers re discography for the Shorty set, I picked up a couple of Atlantic LP issues of some of this material yesterday but there's scant information on the sleeveas to who's playing or indeed track names !!

If there was ever a set that Mosaic should find a way to do again, the Shorty would be it. Granted they would have to find a way around their limited edition policy. How about the complete Atlantic, EMI, AND Capitol recordings of Shorty Rogers -- an even larger (yet different) set. Maybe I will give Cuscuna a call and encourage him. I think it was just bad tlming for some reason when they first came out with it. These eBay prices etc. should tell them something.

Zeno

Edited by Zeno

Late

Any pointers re discography for the Shorty set, I picked up a couple of Atlantic LP issues of some of this material yesterday but there's scant information on the sleeveas to who's playing or indeed track names !!

Great idea about Mosaic posting the discographies (or entire booklets as PDF files etc.), just another idea I will pitch to them when I suggest them finding a way to do Shorty "again". Now that I think of it, a person could do a good internet business selling repro copies of the old booklets just like the guys who sell service manuals for old machinery or tube amps etc.

Zeno

Edited by Zeno

As much as I'd like a "cheap" set myself, a rerelease of the Shorty Rogers ain't gonna happen. Mosaic has a hard enough time selling 3000 copies of a new release; they won't come close to making a rerelease of an old set profitable. Yeah, there might be fierce demand for a couple of hundred sets on Ebay or through the used market, but those who bought the Rogers the first time won't buy it again, and that's probably 90% of the demand right there. And I say that knowing that the Shorty Rogers is one of my favorite all-time Mosaics.

• 11 years later...
2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Practically all Rogers on RCA has been reissued on single CDs, from both periods before and after Atlantic. 

True,but not really what I'm looking for.  The reissues seem a bit of a mish-mash unless I've missed something.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:28 AM, JohnS said:

True,but not really what I'm looking for.  The reissues seem a bit of a mish-mash unless I've missed something.

Oh, mish-mash is an excellent term for them. It took me a couple of years to amass all the RCA stuff, spread out in all kinds of ways on all kinds of small budget sets or European issues.  You can get them, but the effort does virtually define the word "challenge."

gregmo

On 3/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, felser said:

I think that one sold well, it was out of print around 1998 when I sold mine.  The RCA Rogers I have heard doesn't hold a candle to the Atlantics, more commercially oriented to my ears.

I was basing my comment on the older posts in the thread that seemed to indicate it had been a poor seller for Mosaic.  Agree about the late-50s RCAs (those that I've heard, anyway), but I think the pre-1957 material on RCA is almost as good as the Atlantics--Shorty Rogers and His Giants, Shorty Courts The Count, etc.  I've managed to track a lot of it down, through the Short Stops compilation and a standalone of Shorty Courts The Count, but I'd still love a SR on RCA in the 50s Mosaic set.