Billie Holiday Complete Verve Master Takes

jazzbo

4051874.jpg

Okay, the packaging . . . well I kind of like the metal box but the accordian-like holders for the discs are sort of silly. . . .

The music. . . Wow. I love the remastring by Bob Irwin, at least on my system it's dynamic and tonally just right and lets the music breathe.

And I'm enjoying this music all over again. The sound helps, it's much more alive than the ten cd set I've had a long time. And Billie is really gripping me. And these sidemen are just creme de la creme.

The booklet has photos I have flat never seen before. . . !

I wouldn't have gotten this except that www.yourmusic.com picked it up and for 36 dollars I'd recommend this to any jazz vocal fan.

Edited by jazzbo

The Verve material is full of gems.

Man, Sweets Edison KILLS on about half the material, and there's nearly two discs of him paired with Ben Webster both supported by Jimmy Rowles and that is some of the best jazz about.

And Billie is astonishing on some sessions. I love the session with Chico Hamilton on dreams. "Love Me or Leave Me" is just fantastic.

• 8 months later...

My copy arrived today from yourmusic. After the 1st disc was finished my sig other says that she really liked what was playing. I pull out the accordian out of the metal box* and say "that's good, cause there are 5 more discs." Great when the music pleases the both of us.

*referring to the packaging for anyone not familiar with the set.

Hey, if you've got the ten cd box set I agree hang with it, don't follow my on and off compulsion to upgrade.

How *does* the sound compare? I've got the 10-cd set, and I'm not much interested in upgrading unless there's a pretty good-size difference!

Likewise, it's become kind of a cliche to say that Billie's voice could sound pretty ragged on the Verve stuff sometimes, especially compared to her earlier work, but I have to say it's one of those cliches that's kind of true.

Likewise, it's become kind of a cliche to say that Billie's voice could sound pretty ragged on the Verve stuff sometimes, especially compared to her earlier work, but I have to say it's one of those cliches that's kind of true.

Yeaahhh.... BUT she still delivers the goods. She still tells the story and she is still fascinating. PLUS..it's great (as Lon alluded to earlier) to hear Sweets and Ben Webster and the whole slew of great musicians on these sessions. I enjoy this Billie as much as any BIllie.

i already own this material smattered across a dozen or so discs, but i snagged this set for an affordable $40.- ($6.67 per disc) if for no other reason than to have the material in one place and of a (hopefully) consistent remaster quality.

i'll presume the accordian style method of holding the discs is similar to that of the complete lester young studio sessions set.

odd how the bird master studio takes is a three disc set and retails for $50.- while the holiday set consists of six discs at a retail of $70.- . that equals $16.67 per disc for bird and $11.67 per disc for billie.

surely i'm not the only one around these parts who uses 'box set math'...

-e-

I feel the later Holiday is a deeper communicator than the "fresh voiced" singer on the early sides. I would never consider being without either.

Neither would I. That's why I have the 10-cd set! (And the Decca set and the Commodore and the Columbias!) And there absolutely IS some great Billie during this period--especially the stuff with Sweets. But there is also some pretty *awful* Billie during this period, which is why I'd hesitate to invest more money in yet another reissue.

• 2 weeks later...

to follow up on things, my copy arrived yesterday and i couldn't be happier. it's great to have this priceless material all in one impossibe-to-carry-through-airport-security package (or is it the also-manufactured-at-the-sardine-tin-factory package?). i've only listened to the first two (of six) discs, but the mastering is pretty nice.

thanks for the thread,

-e-

Hi Guys,

I've been on an Bille aquiring mode this fall and got the Verve 10-disc box cheap on an auction ($30) and also the Tin Studio takes. I like both sets but I play the Tin much more. I really like the Tin packaging which in my view is very creative and pleasing to the eye.

The difference in sound quality of the two sets are not that big. I could live with both. I guess I was expecting more from the new set and kind of thought that the 10-disc set would sound more dated and "old".

I would also like to recommend the big Columbia set 1933-44. It is really great!

/Shaft

I would also like to recommend the big Columbia set 1933-44. It is really great!

/Shaft

and now out of print.

Anyone know the deal on this somewhat dodgy looking "reissue":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00011V8D...4188961-0351346

I'm a little skeptical if for no other reason than that it claims to cover six more years yet has one less disc than the OOP Columbia set.