True Confessions!

gdogus

So, time to 'fess up - which major jazz artists are completely unrepresented (as leaders, let's say) in your music library? I mean, you have not a single disc by that jazz giant, and find it bewildering and shameful.

I'll go first, tremble though I must, and admit that I have no recordings by Ornette Coleman. None. Zilch. I don't know why.   :blush:

Don't leave me hanging out here lookin' the fool all by myself - CONFESS!

Edited by gdogus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never owned a Beatles record (or even listened to an entire Beatles album).

In jazz, my collection (about 2000 CDs) is rather thin on singers and 1920-40 recordings. Only one Basie CD (Atomic Basie), one Billie Holiday CD (Songs for Distingué Lovers), and one Ella CD (Porgy and Bess). I also have no Mahavishnu Orchestra recording, although I like John McLaughlin.

Edited by Claude

Almost no Mingus (none before Spontoonious made me buy Changes 1 & 2 a few months ago, when we discovered them cheap ($6 each) out used disc hunting).

Very little Monk (two leader dates, if I recall -- OK, three since the newly discovered Monk/Trane thing came out).

The only two Parker recordings I own are Massey Hall, and the recently discovered Diz & Bird at Town Hall thing (which is really fantastic).

Barely half a dozen Coltrane discs total ( :o ), and yet I have nearly every leader date that Joe Henderson ever did (probably 25 or more), plus probably 70% of Joe's sideman work.

Very, very, very little of any jazz recorded before about 1955 or so.

No Count Basie. Not much Ellington, though I do have almost all of his piano trio recordings for some reason.

No vocalist-lead dates of any sort, and next to none with vocalists as sidemen/women (with some exceptions for some weird stuff from the 70's and very late 60's).

There are LOTS of holes in my collection (includeding some REALLY big names), and then some more obscure names I have nearly complete collections for. Go figure.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Big bands. No Lunceford, Goodman, Herman, Thornhill, Shaw, Webb, Raeburn, and hardly any Fletcher Henderson in my collection. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

You could start by checking out Gerald Wilson. His latest ("In My Time") might even be one of his best.

Missing for me:

- All those older big bands that Paul mentioned above (except for Woody Herman)

- Jimmy Smith (I know......shocking on this message board)

- Gerry Mulligan

Not much of the the pre-Bebop guys. No Basie. Only a box each of Duke and Satchmo (hot 5s and 7s, blanton webster band), both criminally unlistened to. (well not UNlistened to, but definitely not enough.) Also low on vocalists, a couple Billie and Ella, one Sinatra, thats it.

Otherwise im pretty proud of the small collection I have been able to accumalate over about 8-9 years of jazz fandom. Not a lot of depth, but the bredth (girth?) is there!

Edited by md655321

No Ornette. No Bix. I'm missing some of the newer all stars, like Kenny Garrett. No Keith Jarrett. I'm not sure what underlying thread connects those holes, it's an odd mix.

For those sans big band leaders, how about "First Time!" which combines the Basie and Ellington bands? You could fill two holes at once :D

SME_0101_CK_065571.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

very little parker and mingus

You can't lord it over the rest of us like that, GK, strutting around the thread with your fancy-pants "very little" this and that. Surely there is some jazz giant by whom you have nothing??

CONFESS!!

hmmmm.......absolutely nothing by Dizzy Gillespie and nothing by any of the vocalists. Also, I had an Art Tatum disc once but sold with a big bundle of discs that went in a trade-does that count? :g

Not much of the the pre-Bebop guys. No Basie. Only a box each of Duke and Satchmo (hot 5s and 7s, blanton webster band), both criminally unlistened to. (well not UNlistened to, but definitely not enough.) Also low on vocalists, a couple Billie and Ella, one Sinatra, thats it.

Otherwise im pretty proud of the small collection I have been able to accumalate over about 8-9 years of jazz fandom. Not a lot of depth, but the bredth (girth?) is there!

PROUD?!? This is no place for pride, mister. This is a place of shame. No Basie, you say?

:bad:

:D

Edited by gdogus

This is most interesting.

I missing some of the earlier big band leaders, although I do have a lot of them on compilations I bought when first exploring jazz.

Fletcher Henderson

Chick Webb

Jimmie Lunceford....

Although I've got plenty of Basie and Ellington. :)

Others that come to mind....

John Patton

Albert Ayler

Jack McDuff

Larry Young

I'm sure there are plenty more.

The "only have a little of" would be a long list.