Musician Mix-ups

Guy Berger

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another pair easy to confuse (if you go way back in jazz).

Corky CORCORAN and Corky CORNELIUS

Makes me wonder, though, if this was intentional to a a degree in that the Corcoran one maybe picked his nickname (or "inherited" it by way of third parties) from the Cornelius one as that one died rather young and at a time when the Corcoran one just abut made his first impressions on the swing scene.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Bill Harris, trombone, and Bill Harris, guitar

Willie Smith, alto sax, Willie "The Lion" Smith, piano, Little Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, drums

Bennie Moten, Kansas City bandleader, Benny Moten, bass (Bennie's nephew I believe)

Bennie Green, trombone, Benny Green, piano, and Benny Green, British alto saxophonist and jazz journalist

I used to think there were two musicians called Mamadou Doumbia. Then I thought there were three. THEN I found another one in a discography.

Now, after a bit of research, I know there are three:

#1 Is Mamadou Doumbia, alias Percey, who was formerly lead singer with Super Biton, the great Bambara band from Segou, Mali. He has recorded (at least) 2 K7s under his own name, both for CK7: ‘Kelea diougou’ (CK7 047, about 1992) and ‘L’an 2000’ (CK7 443, about 1999).

#2 Is Mamadou Doumbia, another Malian, a guitarist, quite a bit younger than Percey (born about 1966). He joined a late edition of Rail Band as a young man, then became part of Salif Keita’s band for a world tour. While in Japan, he became interested in the country and shortly afterwards emigrated there. He formed a band called Mandinke, with all Japanese musicians, and made (at least) two albums for JVC: ‘Independence’ and ‘Yafa’ (JVC 9013, 1996).

#3 Is Mamadou Doumbia, another guitarist, who made an LP called ‘Conseil de l’entente’, apparently in the eighties, in California, which was released on the Eboni label in Cote D’Ivoire and which featured a number of jazz musicians, as well as a few West Africans. The American personnel is interesting and I know a few of the musicians are jazzmen; others are mysteries to me; are they jazz musicians or from some other field?

Ben Francis – bass guitar

Sir Gregg Middleton – bass & arranger

Wes Blackman – guitar

Quentin Dennard – drums

Hiroshi Upshir – keyboards

Ernie Fields Jr – saxophone

Nolan Smith – trumpet

Fred Wesley – trombone.

#4 Is Mamadou Doumbia (oh, you guessed!), a singer who made several EPs and LPs in Guinea Conakry for the Safie Deen label in the sixties, which I saw on Graeme Cousel's Safie Deen discography. But his band on those albums was Trio de l'Entente, so I THINK that #3 and #4 are the same guy.

MG

I used to think there were two musicians called Mamadou Doumbia. Then I thought there were three. THEN I found another one in a discography.

Now, after a bit of research, I know there are three:

#1 Is Mamadou Doumbia, alias Percey, who was formerly lead singer with Super Biton, the great Bambara band from Segou, Mali. He has recorded (at least) 2 K7s under his own name, both for CK7: ‘Kelea diougou’ (CK7 047, about 1992) and ‘L’an 2000’ (CK7 443, about 1999).

#2 Is Mamadou Doumbia, another Malian, a guitarist, quite a bit younger than Percey (born about 1966). He joined a late edition of Rail Band as a young man, then became part of Salif Keita’s band for a world tour. While in Japan, he became interested in the country and shortly afterwards emigrated there. He formed a band called Mandinke, with all Japanese musicians, and made (at least) two albums for JVC: ‘Independence’ and ‘Yafa’ (JVC 9013, 1996).

#3 Is Mamadou Doumbia, another guitarist, who made an LP called ‘Conseil de l’entente’, apparently in the eighties, in California, which was released on the Eboni label in Cote D’Ivoire and which featured a number of jazz musicians, as well as a few West Africans. The American personnel is interesting and I know a few of the musicians are jazzmen; others are mysteries to me; are they jazz musicians or from some other field?

Ben Francis – bass guitar

Sir Gregg Middleton – bass & arranger

Wes Blackman – guitar

Quentin Dennard – drums

Hiroshi Upshir – keyboards

Ernie Fields Jr – saxophone

Nolan Smith – trumpet

Fred Wesley – trombone.

#4 Is Mamadou Doumbia (oh, you guessed!), a singer who made several EPs and LPs in Guinea Conakry for the Safie Deen label in the sixties, which I saw on Graeme Cousel's Safie Deen discography. But his band on those albums was Trio de l'Entente, so I THINK that #3 and #4 are the same guy.

MG

Wow.....I didn't even know there was ONE Mamadou Doumbia........ :(

• 11 months later...