Musician Mix-ups

Guy Berger

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The well-documented (alas uncredited) liner notes to the Status CD 'Stan Kenton at Ukiah 1959' (one of the rare Kenton records with Scott LaFaro) state:

'Believe it or not, there were two drummers with identical names, and both played for Stan Kenton. Which was the better man is for the listener to decide.'

The well-documented (alas uncredited) liner notes to the Status CD 'Stan Kenton at Ukiah 1959' (one of the rare Kenton records with Scott LaFaro) state:

'Believe it or not, there were two drummers with identical names, and both played for Stan Kenton. Which was the better man is for the listener to decide.'

Well, that's just too weird, especially if they're both on the same disc.

I'd advise a grain of salt until more proof is offered. Although, anything's possible...

Drew Phelps/Shelley Duvall

In days of yore, Drew Phelps/Barney Fife.

Drew + Dave = "Stereo Phelps" (the name of an early '80s band they had in Denton)

They still reunite on occasion. Most recent was a week or two ago in celebration of their 50th birthday.

First time I met them was in fall of 1976. They had just moved into Bruce Hall @ NTSU, and the twin I later found out was Drew kept popping in & out of my room to say all this wack shit about the Monk I was playing (they were total Allman Brothers/Southern Rock/Fusion geeks back then, that was all they knew). After about an hour of this, I was ready to kick his ass the next time he did it.

So, some guy who looks like him pops in again, and before I can make it to the door to set his ass on fire, he says, "Hey man, have you seen a guy who looks like me only uglier?"

That was David. :g:g:g

Great guys they both turned out to be, and they both turned into very good players.

I did a road gig w/them once for about 9 months, a B-grade "hotel show band". I could tell stories... ;)

Jeb Bishop/Nick Evans - for some reason I always want to say the latter when I mean the former. I mean, their playing IS similar...

The Bards one time confused Kenny Clare and Kenny Clarke, I believe... I remember finding it oddly hilarious.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Some that have been mixed up in the past:

tenorist Eddie Davis and tenorist Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (both recorded in the mid-40s)

Etta James and Etta Jones

Joe Turner and Big Joe Turner

Ralph Flanagan and Bill Finnegan

I've read that when RCA Victor circa 1950 wanted a new Miller-styled big band, Flanagan got the job, because a RCA boss thought he was the old Miller arranger Finnegan. Don't know if the story is true.

• 2 months later...