Musician Mix-ups

Guy Berger

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Cherry & Don Cherry

Almost made a mistake with this one. I was looking through a Goldmine catalog ten years ago and I thought "weird, Don Cherry sings ballads, I never would have guessed!" :P

Luckily, someone explained a thing or two before I had the money order sent out.

Too bad someone didn't stop me before I special ordered the William Parker CD on New World. I was so pissed to find out there was another William Parker!

I mix up Gary Peacock, Paul Motian and Paul Bley. It's a good thing the latter two started playing with Charlie Haden at some point.

Guy

Yeah, but Bley,Motian and Peacock would make a great trio. Or have they already?

Or was that Bley, Motian and Swallow...?

:huh:

I hear you on the Walter Davis Jr. / Walter Bishop Jr. And speaking of piano players and names with W's, I always thought there were too many piano players whose last names started with "Wal" (Waller, Walton, Waldron, Wallington...), not to mention all the other W's- Wilson (Teddy, Jack), Williamson, Wyands, Weston, Wellstood, Wiggins, Werner, Wofford, Williams (Mary Lou, James, Johnny, Jessica)... but I'm over it now. :cool:

Also, I used to mix up June Christy and Chris Connor.

I don't think Stan Kenton did - Chris seems to have been the only one of his singers he didn't marry.

MG

Just thought of another one I always stumble over: Barney Kessell/Kenny Burrell.

Never confuse Dave Burrell and Kenny Burrell, though.

On the day that Kessel died, somebody told me that Kenny Burrell had died. :rolleyes: (I don't think it was you, though! ;) )

• 7 months later...