• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

guess this is not exactly the right thread - but does anyone know the details about the drummers named george brown? i mean there are probably hundreds of drummers with that name, i am wondering about

1) the guy who recorded with gene ammons between 1955 and 1961

2) the guy who plays on john patton's boogaloo

3) the guy who recorded with jean-jacques avanel and sonny simmons (also with avenel and steve lacy)

are these three different persons?

(possibly there is also the guy who played in that unrecorded trio with john patton and pharoah sanders... guess that is the same as 2), maybe the liner notes to boogaloo also say so, don't have them here...)

there's also george brown, drummer with kool and the gang...

Edited by Niko

There's a drummer George Brown that recorded with Wes Montgomery on his last Riverside organ trio album (October & November 1963).

indeed that may be another one (i had assumed that was probably the same as 1) - but you're right, that was pretty arbitrary)

• 6 months later...

guess this is not exactly the right thread - but does anyone know the details about the drummers named george brown? i mean there are probably hundreds of drummers with that name, i am wondering about

1) the guy who recorded with gene ammons between 1955 and 1961

2) the guy who plays on john patton's boogaloo

3) the guy who recorded with jean-jacques avanel and sonny simmons (also with avenel and steve lacy)

are these three different persons?

(possibly there is also the guy who played in that unrecorded trio with john patton and pharoah sanders... guess that is the same as 2), maybe the liner notes to boogaloo also say so, don't have them here...)

there's also george brown, drummer with kool and the gang...

ok, my own question, still, found this info

George Brown drums

Started his career along with Mel Rhyne in the Trio of Wes Montgomery. In this group he can be heard on the disc "Portrait Of Wes" on the Riverside Label. After that he played with almost every famous Jazz musician. He toured extensively with Sonny Rollins, Roland Kirk, Chet Baker and J.J.Johnson. 20 years ago he settled in Paris where he established himself immediately as "the housedrummer" in the biggest Jazzclub's of the French Capital. He’s now playing with Archie Shepp, Steve Grossman and Alain Jean-Marie.

http://mpeter.chez-alice.fr/english/george.htm

guess this implies that the guy who recorded with montgomery is the same who's on those chet baker and sonny simmons albums... and if he played with those, then why not also with ammons and patton... so for the moment it looks as if they're all the same talented person

another minor progress... :) found these bits on the net:

by E.S.:

hello. I knew George Brown well. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago (in Paris where he spent the last 30+- years of hius life. This is the same george brown that recorded with wes montgomery (PORTRAIT OF WES RIVERSIDE) Toured woith Sonny Rollins 1968. A native of grand rapids MI, he also played with MOTOWN REVUE Tours and also did a duo concert with cecil taylor (among many many other things including an album that i conducted). it just goes to show that, as i always tell my students, that if someone has mastered the Bop idiom and he/she has the will and the creativity, there is a way. Yet it's VERY infrequent to go in the other direction… (As the Poles say: You can make fish soup out of a fish, but you can't make a fish out of the Fish soup …)

and

MY BELOVED FAMOUS UNCLE, WORLD FAMOUSE JAZZ PERCUSSIONIST GEORGE EDWARD BROWN FROM PARIS FRANCE- MAY HE REST IN PEACE! HE PAST AWAY LAST YEAR.

the second bit is significant since it relates the middle name Edward of the guy who played with Patton in the 60s and again in the 80s to the guy who moved to France... so unless somebody made a mistake or there are two drummers named George Edward Brown, they are all the same except possibly the guy who played with Stitt and Ammons [but since that guy played with Ammons (on and off?) from 1952 to 1961 he might very well be a different one...]

ah, from an Ammons related Cadence interview in 1994, "a drummer named George Brown. They called him "Dude" Brown because there's a drummer from Indianapolis named George Brown. "Dude" Brown is from Washington, D.C."

and here

Don Farwell reports in Bandstand this issue on the passing of former Hot Mustard drummer, George “Dude” Brown. This is just to add that to me, first of all, he was the epitome of the nice guy (at least he certainly was nice to this kid whenever I got near the bandstand). And second, he was a wonderful drummer, important to the history of jazz in DC. How many PRJC’ers remember him with the Booker Coleman band at The Place Where Louie Dwells? John Eaton contributed a eulogy to Dude in the 8/31/99 Post. In that article, John pinpointed something that I had always noticed in Dude’s playing; seemingly light and tasteful, but with tremendous rhythmic intensity. Since Dude toured with Lionel Hampton and Earl Bostic, I wonder what he thought of retroswing? Dude can be heard on recordings with tenor sax man Gene Ammons from 1947-1955 (some remastered by DC soundman Jack Tower), Sonny Stitt, and Hot Mustard, among others. -Ed

Dude Brown was 79 when he died so he was born in about 1920.

Edited by Niko

me and Mundell Lowe -

nah, not really.

It's probably been said here already, but years ago Harold Danko told me that EVERYBODY confuses him with Hal Galper. And I told him, before I met him, I was the same way.

also, there's Chuck Nessa, mild-mannered record company owner, and Chuck Nessa, crusading Organissimo poster.

• 1 month later...

Saxophonists Gene Easton and McKinley Easton (could be easy but is confused by things like the second one being called Gene "McKinley" Easton... in places and by the fact that they apparently (ie according to most discographies) alternated in Gene Ammons working band for a time in the mid-fifties; they're not particularly related it seems)

and actually a question to americans and those in the know: when it says "Eugene O. Easton, 27, of Dayton, Ohio" in a "serious" newspaper article (this one) - is that supposed to mean "born in Dayton" or residing in Dayton" or is it unclear? (interesting part about the article is the anonymous phone call, actually...)

Edited by Niko

when it says "Eugene O. Easton, 27, of Dayton, Ohio" in a "serious" newspaper article (this one) - is that supposed to mean "born in Dayton" or residing in Dayton" or is it unclear?

Residing in .

thanks! but what did he do there... (given that he was active on the Chicago Jazz Scene before and after...)[a look at the map made it plausible...]

Edited by Niko

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...