Jeremy Pelt - one hell of an interesting trumpeter

Rooster_Ties

Enough stuff from another thread that I thought I'd give Jeremy Pelt his own "corner", so to speak...

I just listened to Jeremy Pelt's Insight for the first time this afternoon.  WOW :excited:

Technique + Ideas...  Pelt kept my attention the whole time.  Man, what a bright and rising star in the jazz firmament!    Ralph Peterson slamming away, in time, keeps everything swinging.  Nice touch with the Wurlitzer too.

Wow, indeed!!!! One of the most exciting young (under 35) trumpet players I've heard in years. (I understand he's only like 26 or 27 now.)

According to Jeremy Pelt's website...

Link: jeremy pelt

Holy shit, there's like 3 hours of live Jeremy Pelt MP3's on his website. I had no idea!!!

Thanks, man!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I checked out the Jeremy Pelt website -- woosh, those live sessions SMOKE!!!!  What an eye opener!  Does anyone have vols 1 & 2 from that website?  Looks like another purchase on the horizon for the Fresh Sound cd...........

go here: http://www.alkem.org/monsterisland/mp3/jeremypelt/

It's the parent directory of the mp3 files. My guess is that the "compilation" and "cleopatra" directories correspond to volumes one and two.

I listened to Vols 1 & 2 (not visible on the web-site, but available through the directory/link that 'couw' provided), and man - they're simply amazing. And so are Vols 3-5, meaning the one's still up on his web-site.

I've already got Pelt's "Insight" on Criss Cross (got it about a month ago), along with two of Ralph Peterson's Criss Cross albums with Pelt. Man, he's like maybe the most exciting young trumpet player I've ever heard - or at least I'm struggling to think of anyone else I've been this excited about before. I say this especially after hearing those live MP3's - which are all some pretty bad-ass live sessions. Gotta burn those off, that's for sure!!

IMHO, Jeremy Pelt appears to me, like he could maybe end up being the best thing to happen to trumpet since Woody Shaw. Hell, he might even be that already!!

Discuss. :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

FYI, here's his bio (with a few things set in bold/purple by me), from his website...

Jeremy Pelt was born in California on November 4, 1976. While in elementary school, he started playing the trumpet. His primary interest was strictly classical music until he started high school when he began playing in the Jazz band. Upon completion of high scool, he headed back east to Berklee College of Music. While at Berklee, Jeremy worked diligently on Film Scoring during the day and cut his teeth playing at night.

After graduating from Berklee in 1998 with a B.A. in Professional Music, he moved to New York. Since his arrival, Jeremy has played with many distinguished artists such as Jimmy Heath, Ravi Coltrane, Roy Hargrove Big Band, Bobby " Blue" Bland, Bobby Short, Keter Betts, Vincent Herring, The Skatalites, The Village Vanguard Orchestra, David O'Rourke, Benny Russell/Jorge Sylvester Next Legacy Orchestra, Cliff Barbaro, Winard Harper, Duke Ellington Big Band, Dion Parson, Ron Blake, Charli Persip, Mickey Roker, Cassandra Wilson, Gary Bartz, Harold Ousley, Greg Osby, Frank Lacy, and many more.

Jeremy is currently a featured performer in the Mingus Big Band, Ralph Peterson Quintet, Lewis Nash Ensemble, Cannonball Adderley Legacy Quintet featuring Louis Hayes, Vincent Herring, and the Frank Foster Loud Minority Big Band. Jeremy has toured the U.S., France, Spain, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Japan, Virgin Islands, Brazil, and Great Britain.

Very interesting.

I have been raving about Pelt for a while (see the New York Jazz concerts thread). You have to see him live. He is definitely the real deal. And what is so great about him to me is that he is so anti-WM, meaning that he is open to all music and does not appear to be an idealogue. But he can play the shit out of that horn (and is still developing). [The next 10 years for jazz look real good with people like Greg Osby, Jason Moran, and Jeremy Pelt around. Like De La Soul, the Youg Lions are DEAD. These new guys are not afraid to let jazz grow.]

But it is just not Pelt, it's his whole CREATION band, which is featured on some of the mp3s on Pelt's website. Tommy Crane, who is the drummer, is only 16!!!! He is f'ing awsome. Myron Walden is on reeds. Warren Wolfe is on vibes. Derek Nievergelt (sp) on bass. Mike Moreno on guitar. There are no weak links. The band is similar to Miles's mid-sixties quintet in the level of potential greatness of its members--they all can and probably will all be leaders. The instrumentation is awesome. The Mp3's are great, but they do not do this band justice. I have seen them twice and they are, at the moment, my favorite band. I had to miss seeing them this week at Sweet Rhythm (they played there Wednesday and Thursday) [i'm in the NY area if you haven't figured that out already] because I checked out Mark Turner and Ethan Iverson at the Village Vanguard on Tuesday (another fabulous show) and family obligations forced me to choose between the two.

I was at the show featured on the Fat Cat Mp3 on Pelt's website. I stayed for all three sets. If the world were right, this band would have a recording contract. They played all Pelt originals and it was, as J.J. would say, dyn-o-mite!!! The only knock on Pelt's writing is that some of the tunes sound similar. But as Rooster_Ties wrote it appears that he is the next great trumpet and I hope he will take his place in line after Woody Shaw [Marsalis will always be in a footnote because of his raging arrogance and stupidity].

I was a little disappointed that Pelt's first disc on MaxJazz will feature ballads, because he definitely has more than enough interesting originals to fill up an album.

Jeremy Pelt's next NY appearance is at Fat Cat as part of the Wayne Escoffery Quintet next weekend; I will be there. The CREATION band plays at Tonic on August 15--I will be there.

There is no good reason why a record company has not signed this band to a recording contract. It really would be criminal if the Creation band did not get to make a record. It would be criminal if the Creation band does not get to make a record soon. It is a crime that the Creation band has not recorded. The police should arrest someone because the Creation band has not made a recording. Max Jazz better let Pelt record with that Creation band.

Great Idea for a thread!!!!! :angry:

Edited by sonnyhill

Yes he's certainly one of the most promising musicians to come along in a while but he a long way from being in the same league as Woody Shaw. come on. Tommy Crane might look like he's sixteen but he's in college and I believe he's 20. Has anyone checked out his first CD "Profile"? I kind of like it better than "Insight". I'm sure he'll record the Creation band for his next record for MaxJazz. If he's under contract with them, he can't record it elsewhere. I heard the Creation band and it sounds like those Kenny Cox Blue Note records to me.

...but he [is] a long way from being in the same league as Woody Shaw.

For the record I said that Pelt could maybe end up being (meaning in the future) end up being the best thing to happen to trumpet since Woody Shaw.

Or (possibly) that could might already be (the best thing to happen to trumpet since Woody Shaw).

I never said he was already as good as Woody Shaw.

BUT, I do think Pelt might have the potential to be as good as Woody, perhaps. Or maybe not. Only time will tell...

I just heard a cut on Louis Hayes'quintet tribute to Cannonball---Pelt was "tipping his cap" to Nat big time on this.

Jeremy's great!Technique,fire & ideas.I think he's got different sides to his playing.I greatly look forward to hearing his releases--yet I don't have his FSNT release nor his Criss Cross--I'll have to remedy that soon...

FRIDAY, 8/15

BILL DIXON (solo!), 8 p.m; JEREMY PELT at 1O; GREG TATE's BURNT SUGAR w/ LEWIS "FLIP" BARNES, VIJAY IYER, & others, midnight, Tonic, 1O7 Norfolk St. betw. Rivington & Delancey St’s 3 blocks south of Houston & betw. Ave’s A & B, check prices. Take F or J train to Delancey or J/ M/ Z to Essex St. Info: 358~75O4, ~3, ~1; <www.tonicnyc.com>, <tonic@tonicnyc.com>.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the Pelt show at Tonic was canceled due to the blackout. However, a few weeks earlier I caught Pelt at Fat Cat as part of Wayne Escoffery's Quintet. They played a version of Wayne Shorter's Fall which was amazing. The band punked out and only played two sets because it was too hot, which was bullshit and unprofessional in my opinion.

Unfortunately, there are no listings for Pelt's Creation in the NYC area in the near future. I still hope he gets to record with that band soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FYI, there's a relatively new thread on AAJ where Jeremy Pelt is interacting with board members there, taking questions, and such...

The AAJ thread is here: Catching Up With... > Jeremy Pelt

Didn't realize somebody had already posted this--I meant to as well, and wanted to bring it to folks' attention again, now that today's Organissimo/AAJ tiff has been settled.

JeremyPelt

• 4 years later...

I was curious seeing that this is an older thread if folks here are still very positive on Jeremy Pelt? His name was passed onto me from another forum earlier tonight recommending me to check his music out. Thanks.

What I've heard of him, Tom, he should be right up your alley.

I just got home from seeing him live at the Kansas City Rhythm and Ribs festival, about an hour ago. He was part of Louis Hayes' Cannonball Tribute band, sharing the front line with Vincent Herring. It was an excellent set. Pelt played very dynamic, exciting solos, both open horn and muted. He is a leading younger trumpet player of today in my book. His playing was consistently at a level above "solid" hard bop soloing.

I have been raving about Pelt for a while (see the New York Jazz concerts thread). You have to see him live. He is definitely the real deal. And what is so great about him to me is that he is so anti-WM, meaning that he is open to all music and does not appear to be an idealogue. But he can play the shit out of that horn (and is still developing). [The next 10 years for jazz look real good with people like Greg Osby, Jason Moran, and Jeremy Pelt around. Like De La Soul, the Youg Lions are DEAD. These new guys are not afraid to let jazz grow.]

It is my observation that people who could be described as anti-WM are every bit as idealogical as WM himself, they just have a different agenda. I however have seen no evidence that Jeremy Pelt openly opposes WM. I suspect the poster has inferred that Jeremy Pelt is anti-WM based on his own predjudices. I am presumptuously presuming this is presumptuous of him.

• 1 year later...

Jeremy Pelt was in town Easter Monday - with J.D. Allen, Xavier Davis, Dwayne Burno and Gerald Cleaver.

I have to admit I was a bit underimpressed. Allen sounded like a cleaned-up version of mid-sixites Wayne Shorter - the whole band was very accomplished, relaxed, to the point, really knew their stuff - but it all sounded to me like they were all working hard to digest all the jazz created during the last 50 years but had no idea how to do something new with it. A very classicist approach, a simmered-down Jazz Messengers approach filtered through Miles' 1960's quintet, but all without the freshness or excitement of their idols. And way to little humor in the music, not very much communication. Cleaver was the most interesting player, with a featherlight touch and very alert, but not given enough room to display his facilities.

Pelt is a very accomplished player, but I don't hear too much originality, although he doesn't sound simply derivative either. The mix of 1950's and 1960's stylistics reminded me of Wynton Marsalis' music twenty years ago, but even that was a bit more excitingly played. Pelt's band really didn't cut loose ... Very good music, but not a bit raw or exciting.