June 2006 Connoisseur CDs

Kevin Bresnahan

Some short samples of the Ilori album can be found here.

Don't expect "jazz", but rather African Highlife music. Lots of complicated rhythms with a "primitive" sound. You get people dancing around bending limbs you never knew existed and some nostalgic ballads. I like it.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some short samples of the Ilori album can be found here.

Don't expect "jazz", but rather African Highlife music. Lots of complicated rhythms with a "primitive" sound. You get people dancing around bending limbs you never knew existed and some nostalgic ballads. I like it.

Thanks for the samples, couw. I like it as well, and I didn't expect to hear traditional jazz. I do like the more African-flavored stuff of guys like Yusef Lateef, and so I was hoping for more of the same, even if it is MUCH more of the same...

And sorry, Chuck, I knew "orchestral" was a bad word the moment I typed it - and I expected somebody here to knock me for it. I've had poor first reactions to large ensembles like this before, though, and then they've grown on me, so I won't be giving up on it.

And sorry, Chuck, I knew "orchestral" was a bad word the moment I typed it - and I expected somebody here to knock me for it. I've had poor first reactions to large ensembles like this before, though, and then they've grown on me, so I won't be giving up on it.

Got no problem with orchestral................commercial was the word.

Amazon.de says they are copycrap, not CDs! :tdown

The ones on sale in the UK are European manufactured and are NOT repeat NOT cc-ed.

I can't promise, but I suspect amazon.de is in error.

Don't know if you ever bought a copycrap version of anything. I did (Boston Blow-Up). It won't play in the car, it has sometimes skipped in the main CD player - but if I hold down 'Escape' when I put it in the PC it both plays and copies adequately. I think they concluded that CC doesn't work, and I suspect that retailers complained about handling returns and damged sales. I also suspect that some people (not me of course) might regard rip-off cc editions as fair game for file sharing. Like I say, I'm not one.

Amazon.de says they are copycrap, not CDs! :tdown

The ones on sale in the UK are European manufactured and are NOT repeat NOT cc-ed.

I can't promise, but I suspect amazon.de is in error.

Let's hope you're right! I have virtually stopped buying BNs new releases. Picked up 4 or 5 cc versions but only on sale prizes (10€ or less, approximately).

... I think they concluded that CC doesn't work, and I suspect that retailers complained about handling returns and damged sales. I also suspect that some people (not me of course) might regard rip-off cc editions as fair game for file sharing. Like I say, I'm not one.

Of course they wouldn't tell us about their conclusions or even apologize or admit their strategy was bogus... but again, let's hope you're right!

I was told by Michael Cuscuna that they had stopped adding copy protection to EU releases. When I told him that amazon.de is saying that these latest Conns do have CC, he was very surprised. I think that the amazon listing may be in error.

Quite possible that it's a mistake on behalf of Amazon.

I've boycotted pretty much every Blue Note CD with copy protection so far

and I'm extremely glad that I'll be able to get those CDs for the usual low

European prices in the future instead of having to import every single one.

I was told by Michael Cuscuna that they had stopped adding copy protection to EU releases. When I told him that amazon.de is saying that these latest Conns do have CC, he was very surprised. I think that the amazon listing may be in error.

Thanks, Kevin! I'm starting to believe it, then! Great!!!

Hey! Why didn't you believe ME... ? :huh::lol:

It's a pity that the first three tracks from Hill's Pax are from 2nd generation masters. Perfectly listenable but sound much less good when compared to the other tracks. Presumably the first gen tapes are lost. Not a reason to avoid this issue as it's first rate AH

Hey! Why didn't you believe ME... ? :huh::lol:

sorry, I wasn't aware that you had seen the discs in real... gets clear from re-reading your post, though! :tup

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Gil Evans on Saturday - the sound, even on the first album, is considerably better than the previous US CDs. No copy protection.

I've not heard this session before but was very pleased with the sound especially as reports posted here seemed to suggest that the master tapes were in very poor condition. Cannoball's fine too but the session with Johnny Coles is better still.