June 2006 Connoisseur CDs

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two cents while I have a quick chance at a computer here at M. D. Anderson:

GREAT titles!

Wish they weren't Connoisseurs (as I really don't prefer the sound).

Hello Lon,

Not intending to pry but I hope this was just a visit or somehow work related....

As for the Conn.'s.....glad I didn't win that overpriced TOCJ of "It's Time" a couple of weeks back on ebay!!! :g

Really looking forward to that one.

Lon, I hope you realize that there are a lot of us here who are pulling for you & your wife as you go through this difficult time. We're here for you.

Given my wife's family history, I live in fear of finding myself in a similar position. If I ever do have to face this, I hope I am able to handle as well as you.

Kevin

Kevin, I hope you never have to go through this! Anyone!

And how do you know I'm not falling completely apart? -_-

I am a little bit but I have to be strong for Helen and that does fuel me.

I do know that there is a community of support here, and I'm not asking for much at all, but just being able to come here and read and chat and enjoy so much friendship. THANKS.

Now back to Connoisseur talk!

Edited by jazzbo

My guess is they'll all be McMasters. . . maybe the Evans won't be, it might be Addey (just wishful thinking on my part though!)

I haven't heard anything from Michael to tell me that these won't be done by Ron McMaster. They seem to use Ron for anything that's a simple tape transfer. Malcolm Addey is used when they need a new mix so maybe he'll get that Evans disc if they need to re-mix from three track.

I'll try to ask Michael about it today.

Kevin

Yeah, I still honestly do not recognize the difference.

Some McMaster cds sound like crud, others sparkle. Some of the RVG's don't sound as good as others.

Sometimes I make a delicious meat sauce, some times its bland and watery...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes, it rains. Thinkabout that. :)

McMaster has improved because the gear he's using has improved.

One other thing I've noticed...is that his remasterings sound better on my "all digital" setup (optical ouput from DVD/SACD to Sony DTS amplifier) than on my other system.

McMaster's remastering hasn't bothered me on releases since the mid 90's. The only McMasters I've ever had much of a problem with are the late 80's issues (yuck), and maybe a few from the early 90's.

Remember that in the 1980s it was customary just to transfer recordings to digital. As far as I know hardly anyone, including mr McMaster, did any remastering.

To my ears McMaster's mastering ranges from OK to sometimes very bad. Just listen to his Lou Donaldson Mosaic set; "Caravan" on that set is a case in point, it's been compressed/maximized like hell and sounds absolutely awful, bright, LOUD and no dynamics. You should see the sound wave... (Unfortunately, I can't reproduce that here).